RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Auxillary Battery replacement L494, Auto Stop Start battery
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

IRBails

Australia 

I have been considering using a Lithium battery , and wiring the rear lighter outlet to it so I can run a fridge full time. Space looks large enough to fit a larger battery perhaps a 48 a.h. Can anyone see an issue with such an idea? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #609682 Mon Feb 08 2021 12:00pm
pjbracer1

England 

Li of LiPO batteries are a great idea as they pack alot of punc however they are also quite volatile, so you would have to be careful with reagrd to charging as they often need to be discharged to around 20%, also if not maintained with a proper intelligent charger the battery could be a potential fire hazard ( Iguess if it was kept inside like a lipo container then that would solve that issue, but not sure about car insurance if there was a fire.

The fires from them are pretty severe as its a chemical fire and not easily extinguished.

Maybe using the battery and capictor idea could work for that where is uses the cap first then the battery?

On our boat the firdge whislt its not huge drain the batteries pretty quick, if the lipos were set up properly and safely then I guess it could be a great mod, if it only kicked in once the engine was off and when it was on the lipos charged and the main car battery was used while the engine was running to allow maximum charging to the offline batteries?

Be interesting to try it I guess If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8
RRS Supercharged Santorini
AMG CLK Rear Tyre Shredder

Post #609688 Mon Feb 08 2021 3:21pm
IRBails

Australia 

Click image to enlarge

First time I have pulled the cover off to have a look at 2nd Battery. Was well pleased to find a large 2nd battery. No idea what the rating is but am assuming around 50 amp hrs judging by size. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #614737 Mon Jun 14 2021 2:52am
IRBails

Australia 

Thinking of using this as my second battery, reckon I can squeeze it in. Will have the 12v connector wired direct so that I can run a fridge , fridge draw should be around 2 amps when cold.

https://itechworld.com.au/collections/lith...-slim-line M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #614738 Mon Jun 14 2021 3:26am
pjbracer1

England 

Wiring direct should be fine as the car doesnt need this battery to be fair its there to assist the main one during stop starts, it will be tight getting that in there though, I thought that one was tight to get the cables on but you might need to get some cable extenders.

Ive fitted Cetk quick connetor charger to both my main and aux battery so I cna charge them up prior to any long trips, and the small batts are pretty quick to charge the onyl problem you might have with that from a charging perspective is the the main battery has priority so as far as I am aware until the main has suffcient charge then the aux get topped up so if you are doing lots of stop starting or etc... then that little one might not get charged o topped as as often and factor in running a fridge it might drop fair bit so and easy way of charging would be a good idea (otherwise you might get the low battery warnings)

The car will still run though as others have said their battery has been dead for a longtime and if you are nto bothered about the stop start then it shouldnt matter.

Id swap out the main battery for a nice new one if you are gonna do this that way they are both at full cap.

If you are running a fridge, I found in my old car I did the same, I'd buy a load of those flexible cold packs and get some to take with and some to prep the fridge, I used some of the big ones to get the fridge cold inside the day/night before and then use some more to help during the day so it used less power (its was just using 12V in the boot) It helped keep it really cold when we came back to to the car, as the car gets pretty hot too (sunroof open a bit to vent) does the trick and works well, the one in the arm isnt that bad either but is more of a chiller, i used the littel square ice back in the there to sit on top so it take longer to warm up but as the top cover is grey it attracts the sun unless using a sun shade.

Good luck and plenty of pictures if you do If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614745 Mon Jun 14 2021 9:53am
IRBails

Australia 

OK I have another question, can I replace the big starting battery with a Lipo4 battery. My battery is 5.5 years old and I am thinking replace both so both batteries have a similar chemistry. Seems the question is will the smart charge system charge a Lipo4 battery?/

The plus side of doing this will be weight saving mainly . M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #614769 Tue Jun 15 2021 12:23am
pjbracer1

England 

Good question and the honest answer is I'm not sure, Lipo charged differently and so not sure how the BMS would would react or if it would charger properly.

I did look at Lipos to repalce mine with but couldnt really find anything the right size, and anything I could find was expensive.

Not sure about hoem charging either as most car battery chargers work on LA or AGM batteries not that if its 12 V it should maybe matter.

There is also the fire consideration LIPO tech is great but but not sure on maybe a jump start either unless it had its onw reserve so to speak, but if there was an accident and it got punchered by something it's almost a right off as thermal runnaway could happen and you have no real chance of stopping it and the car would burn away easily.

I thought about them purley for the punch they would have and probably power the fridge etc.. in the car for much longer but were expensive and would require modding to fit at the time.

I would go for it if they were a little bit more but the ones I looked around for were all £750+ and when you consider the battery I bought to my other post of battery replacing was only about £125 I went donw that route, I think the weight saving would be nice but on a 2.5T car probably not noticeable at all.

Id be interested in the leanring about the mod if you go ahead of if you have found sensible priced batteries.

I did wathc a Youtube video of James May moaning he had to take the bumper off his Tesla during lock down as the battery went flat, the main car batts to drive the car are LI but the one that runs the door locks and all the others things around the car like ours is a normal 12V battery the LI ones provide power to the car but do not "top up the 12V" which seems strange they did go down the LI route "unless it is an LI battery that went flat I dont think it said"

Keep us posted If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #614774 Tue Jun 15 2021 8:21am
Woody Woodpecker

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Brilliant write up thanks.

Post #621040 Mon Jan 17 2022 6:47pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

I just changed my auxiliary battery as the stop/start light would not go out. Battery voltage was around 10.5 even after a run.
Followed your instructions (including the supplier) and it was fairly easy.
I think its the original battery from new! No way to know, but it did have a LR label. 10 years is pretty good for a battery in my opinion.
Hopefully the main battery has already been changed but so far so good.
Main issue was the clips on the trim panel. All broke on removal. According to my parts list they should be LR035841 but the ones that broke looked different to the pictures, plus I struggled to find any in stock. In the end I went for LR013135 and they seem to have worked fine. I recommend vehicleclips.co.uk
Good website and quick service.
Thanks for the write-up, plain English, no acronyms/abbreviations and plenty of clear pics. If only more could be like this. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #634566 Wed Jul 26 2023 3:14pm
pjbracer1

England 

no probs chap the main batt is under the floor and will be the cause of most pains! EK950 is oem brand.

the biggest killer of them is lack of use really If a jobs worth doing, get a someone who knows what they are doing to do it!

RRS Autobiography Indus
RR P38 HSE V8

Post #634567 Wed Jul 26 2023 3:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123