RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Scratches...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
Scratches...

OK, this post is mostly just for a sanity check for me really.

The SC is my first brand new car, and since taking delivery at the end of September I feel like I have been the most unlucky person ever, and here's why:

Issues with drifting in Wk 1 (sorted)
    Sustained dent on bonnet in week 2 (sorted at my expense with respray etc)
    Multiple bonnet badge fittings gone wrong resulting in mutliple aborted VentureTape film replacement installations
    Dinged 2 alloys, one badly (sorted today by ChipsAway man)
    Deep scratch on rear bumper (leaving it for time being)
    Several scratches on the bonnet, each about an inch long, 5 or so in a close group (noticed these this morning Crying or Very sad )

I know that I have not personally scratched the car, something or someone has done this for me and each time I notice a new one I am totally gutted.

I am wondering whether it's just because the car is SO new and cost SO much money that I am noticing it more than I would on my previous cars that have been 3-4 yrs old, or whether this car is jinxed, but I certainly feel my previous cars, despite buying them 2nd hand at 3yrs old with about 50-60k on the clock, did not have so many 'incidents'

Has anyone else suffered bodywork damage (other than Very Annoyed big crash of course!) or scratches??

I need people to say they have scratches too, so that I don't feel so bloody depressed about it! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #8589 Thu Dec 22 2005 11:15am
kam100

United Kingdom 

Yep as you know mate,
I have a small door ding drivers side near the filler cap (have had one of these in the exact same spot on the last of my 3 Bmws! crazy)
And about a 5cm deepish scratch on the front left wing which you and MDP saw back on the meet in Nov. I've decided i am going to leave them both, and have them sorted before i sell the car whenever that is, as previous experience has shown me that when i have these things fixed, another appears in its place!

I am almost paranoid nowadays where i park it, and i always run a worst case scenario in my mind before i leave it unattended, i.e. kids bikes come past, idiot flys around the corner etc etc.. and in car parks i tend to take two spots or park next to the most expensive cars i can find in the lot, as i tend to think people who drive expensive cars themselves tend to show some respect to other expensive cars compared to owners of Censored .
Also i hardly ever wash mine myself, as thats the time you see soo many scratches and blemishes, and i also get very gutted when i see these. I have it done from a hand wash place in birmingham, and i usually finish it off by doing the wheels properly myself.

I hardly take mine on the motorway so have low risk of stone chips and its just the local run really, i think my highest risk is car park dings..

Post #8591 Thu Dec 22 2005 11:23am
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Well my previous Merc ended up with dings & scratches all over the place, god only knows where some of them came from, I just couldn't make sense of them at all. In the end I just ignored them as you couldn't really notice them unless you looked closely.

I'm now much more careful about where I park. No on street parking. Do the same as Kam & try to park next to other decent cars, though as far as possible keep to the same make(!) and model(!). Generally I'm lucky in so much as the only places I normally park are normally safe.

It's a frustration & generally you notice far more than anyone else. When I sold the Merc, nobody even noticed all the scratches & dings. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #8595 Thu Dec 22 2005 11:59am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

This is my catalog of damage:

- Ding to rear bumper after 3 days of ownership - not visible unless you look for it, but annoying none the less.
- Both nearside alloys scuffed, rear quite badly, front just surface damage
- Nearside rear door has had another door opened onto it by the looks of things just a couple of weeks ago.

So, it's not just you RRUK... this isn't my first new car so maybe I'm not so precious about it but the way I look at it is that none of the damage is hugely noticeable and I'll just get it all fixed when I come to sell the car in a couple of years time. That said, I haven't picked up quite so much damage on a car in such a short space of time... maybe it's to do with the overall size of thing. I've certainly never owned such a big car. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #8597 Thu Dec 22 2005 12:19pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Here's a picture I just took of the scratches on the bonnet. They are about 1-1.5 inches in length and as you can see, quite closely grouped. The Chipsaway man said it may have been a cat, but my car is garaged ALL the time it is not being driven, and I've not noticed any cats hanging on to the bonnet whilst I am on the motorway!

L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #8598 Thu Dec 22 2005 12:36pm
NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Are they stiletto marks, I have seen similar mark on roof linings.

Laughing

Sorry Christmas spirt in me (Jack daniels) 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #8600 Thu Dec 22 2005 1:13pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

They look too far apart to be cat's claws (well, unless you have something like a cheetah roaming up and down your street!). We have cats climb all over our cars but they don't scratch the paint. All you get to see is paw marks. 

Post #8601 Thu Dec 22 2005 1:18pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Since the 'Big Smash' I havn't had a single scratch - I do however park the car in my garage each night which in itself is risking damage considering the garage is only just wider than the RRS. The moral of my story is have one big smash and then hopefully nothing from there on. Very Happy 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #8602 Thu Dec 22 2005 1:29pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

NeilR wrote:
Are they stiletto marks, I have seen similar mark on roof linings.

Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #8609 Thu Dec 22 2005 1:58pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I see those scrathes and was wondering if there's a matching set on the other side of your bonnet? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #8612 Thu Dec 22 2005 2:15pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Very annoyed wrote:
I see those scrathes and was wondering if there's a matching set on the other side of your bonnet?

So, were now looking for someone wearing stiletto's and doing the splitz Shocked 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #8621 Thu Dec 22 2005 2:33pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

...aren't we all? Laughing Laughing Laughing 

Post #8622 Thu Dec 22 2005 2:33pm
smudge

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

RRUK - I can sympathise - I too am paranoid about scratches and stonechips... and am dreading cleaning the car now in case I find any (none yet).... but I guess it's just part of the issue owning a nice car that you want to remain looking in showroom condition...

At least you got the venturetape which may protect the car a little longer...Smile.. I guess as time goes on and the cars become less ** newer ** we may worry a little less over small scratches and chips.. at least I hope so.. Range Rover Sport TdV6HSE Bonatti Grey 20" FE Stormer wheels, Privacy Glass, Mats, Boot Mat, black badges, SC grille and vents

Post #8779 Fri Dec 23 2005 1:48pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Went to tesco yesterday and could not be bothered to go inside so sent my sister off as it was only a quick 10 min job.. Sat there in my RRS and first thing i noticed was, the amount of people that look at the RRS is still unbelievable, and knew car parks were dangerous for door dings and scratches, but there are idiots everywhere!

First off, i saw the tesco car park lad pushing a line of trolleys longer then an articulated lorry, and he nearly took the side out on this lovely brand spanking black TT out about 3 times.. he actually had to run round and stop them from hitting the car!

Secondly, i was parked on a corner and even though the turning area was massive (get three rrs's side by side through there) the amount of times, my front parking sensors went beep at the max nearest level because people cut the corner in their cars was unbelievable, don't know how one of them didn't scuff the corner of my bumper! and just the amount of idiots that are generally walking around eyeing up the flashy cars and the people in them.. made me think, im never going shopping in daylight hours again in my RRS, its just too damn risky.. too many fools around.

Go at night when i can comfortable take up three spaces and know no1 will park next to me, and secondly know hardly any dumb barstewards will be about who can't drive! no wonder we are finding so many scratches and bumps..

Megane is the shopping cart and will be used as such from now on.. have to keep reminding myself of that before its too late!

Post #9323 Tue Jan 03 2006 2:37pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

I've actually seen these trolley-jockeys damage a car before now. Again, the idiot had a row of about 12 trolleys and careered into the front quarters of a car, smashing the headlight cluster. What was even more annoying was the fact that he made no attempt to go inside and report it but rather kicked the broken glass under the car and moved away!! I can't say I normally enjoy grassing people up, but I went into the store and reported him to the information desk... I don't know if they did anything about it. There was no tannoy announcement in the store while I was shopping and the car had gone when I got back to the car.

Some people have no respect. Rolling Eyes 

Post #9326 Tue Jan 03 2006 2:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>