Home > Off Topic > 7 Seater SUV.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

kam100

United Kingdom 
7 Seater SUV.

Hi All.
Another off topic subject from me..
Sorry, should talk about the actual RRS sometimes instead of random posts like this.

My brother in law currently runs a Bmw X5 3.0d Sport 02 plate
Due to an imminent new arrival to the family, they are thinking about jumping ship from the X5 and purchasing a proper 7 seater SUV instead.

On enquiring to the usual suspects, Bmw, Merc, Lexus, Vw, Porshce.
It appears currently there aren't many actual 4x4 SUV's that have capacity for a third row of seats. New ML doesn't have 7 seat capacity does it, nor does the X5, RX300, Mr Piggy or the Toerags,

They don't want anything like a Landcruiser, Patrol, Shogun(Pajero) or the like, but want something of a smart luxury SUV. They asked me about the RRS and RR, and i found out about the third bench seat you can have fitted, but as these aren't permanent fixtures, they expressed some concerns about safety and the load space they take up. Anyone got this fitted? and how easy is it to remove and refit with the extra belts and stuff?
One of the kids is coming up to 3 and the other would be for a small adult, would they fit in the boot of the RR? (i know an adult wouldn't fit comfortably in the RRS, so that pretty much rules the RRS out of this equation).

On looking at the new forth coming Q7, it appears even though Audi are pretty much the last brand to come into the niche of SUVs, they are filling in the 7 seater, foldaway criteria very nicely.
But doesn't it just look like an estate to all of you? not a proper hard 4x4 like they should?
Plus, the interiors are soo boring on Audis, and i hate that new corporate grill.. any other alternatives out there im not thinking of?
Budget, up to 50/60k really.

For those of you who haven't seen the Q7 yet: here are some links.
http://autoshow.msn.com/as/minishow/articl...1021dfec2e

http://autoshow.msn.com/as/minishow/articl...1021dfec2e

Post #8390 Tue Dec 20 2005 2:44pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

sorry above links are both the same, this was the other one i found on my quick search:

http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow/articles/107049/page005.html

Post #8394 Tue Dec 20 2005 2:57pm
Biggles

England 

The only seven seat 4x4 I would ever entertain is the disco3, has room for plenty and is much the same running gear and chassis as the sport. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #8395 Tue Dec 20 2005 2:59pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Of course there is the Disco3 - that's the best 7 seater. There is also the Volvo. Soon there will be the Audi and the new Merc G-glass.

You can add a bench seat into the rear of a full size Range Rover. See http://www.luxury7.co.uk/ (neighbours of mine - the BMW 5 Touring on the main page is our old car!) or http://www.range7.com/ Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #8397 Tue Dec 20 2005 3:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

What about the Disco3? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #8398 Tue Dec 20 2005 3:00pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

had actually forgotten about the disco3, looking at the £44.5k HSE version, appears they get absolutely everything! Bluetooth, Logic 7 as standard, non cost add ons compared to the RRS!
scandalous!

Post #8401 Tue Dec 20 2005 3:11pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

...don't forget that there's nowhere to store your stash in a D3 though! Laughing 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #8402 Tue Dec 20 2005 3:27pm
kman

Might also like to have a look at the volvo xc90 which is a true 7 seater and seems to be quite highly acclaimed.

also, the new 2006 BMW X5 will be a 7 seater...

Post #8403 Tue Dec 20 2005 4:00pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

will it though?
have heard mixed opinions and mixed sources so far, some say it will, others say they will bring out another model liekly to be X6 to directly compete with cars like the merc G class and other 7 seater specials.
x5 became to big and bulky at the rear with 7 seats and looked to comprimise what the x5 is all about, which they can't afford to do now the competition is soo tough.

Post #8404 Tue Dec 20 2005 4:09pm
PaulB

England 

If I was looking for a 7 seater, I'm pretty sure I'd go for the Q7.
I'm not sure what you mean Kam when you say the interiors are boring. IMO, the Audi interiors are second to none. I'm really looking forward to getting my RRS, but coming from a long line of Audis including RS4 and RS6, it was the quality of the interior on the RRS that dissappointed me. Audi interiors are beautifully made and the quality is superb, especially on the new cars like the new A6. The Q7 interior follows a very similar design to the A6, so I'd expect it to be of the same high quality.
I also think you'll find it looks much more of a SUV in the flesh, it is also much bigger than you would imagine. The wheel base is over 3 metres !!.

Paul

Post #8405 Tue Dec 20 2005 4:10pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Sorry, i described the interiors of the Audi's as being boring, but what i meant was, they are just so generic looking, i.e. the same as Vw's.. everything is just very square and functional.

I drive an Audi A4 3.0 Quattro fairly regularly, and other Vw's and they just feel so functional, and square, and i feel like Audi's even though they are justified in their price tags when it comes to mechanicals and performance, the interiors aren't special enough IMO, although everything is functional and is ergonomic in their design and position, just little things, no cruise as standard, no multi functional wheel as standard, and the same push in/out cupholders that you get in a golf.

Yes i agree Paul, the RRS interior isn't as good i think as what it could have been, but when you actually get used to it and actually drive it regularly, you notice the only thing that is actually a bit crap is the quality of the plastic, the actual layout of everything is superb (apart from the windscreen washer stalk - as pointed out in another thread) and i've never driven a car like it with the gearbox selector position so high 'cockpit like'. I didn't like the interior plastics when i first saw them either, and was wary that a magazine article i had read had also pointed this out, but its the whole package that makes you love it with the RRS.
Also, its specific to that car, not generic like a lot of VW group cars, i.e. a freelanders interior is very different to the RRS, and the RRS is very different to the RR, which it should be considering they are trying to classify them for different markets and different price slots.

Post #8406 Tue Dec 20 2005 4:36pm
PaulB

England 

I think it must be a personal taste thing, because I think the Audi interiors are very "special". I like the feel of the high quality materials and the details. The cup holders get more sophisticated as you go up the model range eg. the A6 cup holders are better than the A4 and so on.

Regards
Paul

Post #8407 Tue Dec 20 2005 4:55pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

Yeah course..
thats what it comes down to in the end, personal taste and preference.
You like your audi's and i like my Bmw's. At least we both agree that the RRS is a good piece of kit though, and despit the crap plastics is worth every penny!

Have shoved a fully spec'd Disco3 my brother in laws way, and the suggestion of the XC90 Volvo, as well as that link for the conversions, just in case they fancy a nice big RR instead.

He would tend to agree with you though Paul, they have 2 golfs and an Audi in their family so maybe the Audi Q7 may still be worth a pre order, the 3.0tdi quattro engine is likely to be nice though, much more spirited then we have been given in our RRS's, but that is one hell of a long wheelbase!

Post #8408 Tue Dec 20 2005 5:03pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

PaulB wrote:
I think it must be a personal taste thing, because I think the Audi interiors are very "special". I like the feel of the high quality materials and the details. The cup holders get more sophisticated as you go up the model range eg. the A6 cup holders are better than the A4 and so on.

Regards
Paul

I always buy a car depending on the quality of the cup holders but I also want lots of flashing lights - very important! Very Happy 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #8411 Tue Dec 20 2005 5:43pm
Pelyma

England 

XC90 is only a contender if you aren't going off road. I much prefferred the D3 to drive and its style. Not a car on the market to touch it IMHO. But I value off road performance. If you don't why buy a 4x4.

Post #8440 Tue Dec 20 2005 9:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>