RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Motorway drift
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
Motorway drift

In my first week of ownership I noticed particularly on motorways that if I let go of the steering wheel the car drifts to the left, and in about 5 seconds, it has changed lanes.

I thought this would be due to a tracking issue. I also noticed that when pulling up at traffic lights etc and applying the brakes, that when the car comes to a final stop, if you let go of the wheel, it turns slightly to the left. I would normally also put this down to a tracking issue.

So, I took it back to the dealer this morning, they didn't actually check the tracking but took it on a short drive and reported back that it was normal behaviour and that it was just following the camber in the road, and they knew this because when they drove it on the opposite side of the road it did the same thing but in reverse. (It was an industrial estate so no problem with oncoming traffic)

While I know this CAN be true sometimes when you have large low profile tyres I don't recall my M5 doing it.

Can anyone else tell me if this happens in there's? Can someone test it? Any straight road will do, and just see if yours also ends up wanting to find the kerb. I have a suspicion I'll be taking it back. I want to prevent uneven tyre wear as a result of driving it when the tracking is out too. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2795 Fri Sep 30 2005 9:55am
MDP

United Kingdom 

I havn't felt any odd things or experienced my car drifting either way. It is well balanced,steers straight,brakes straight........ no problems here Confused 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #2797 Fri Sep 30 2005 1:12pm
Geordiehillbilly

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

You may find you need a new steering rack if your car drifts to the left, especially if you have had larger wheels fitted. I've got mine done through the warranty and am awaiting delivery for my dealer to fit. You may also get a strange noise if you put full lock right on, then try to pull away.

Post #2800 Fri Sep 30 2005 1:31pm
RRUK

Geordiehillbilly wrote:
You may find you need a new steering rack if your car drifts to the left, especially if you have had larger wheels fitted.

But the car is as standard on 20" alloys.

I've covered about another 140 miles today and its definitely not the camber in the road, unless RSSports handle differently to any other car I've ever driven, it just wants to change lanes all the time.

So, another call in to the dealer, and I'm taking it back on Monday, and going to show the technician (fancy word for grease monkey) exactly what is happening, then take out another of their cars for comparison.

Looking on the bright side, at least I might get a test drive in the TDV6 which as yet I've never been in! L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2803 Fri Sep 30 2005 2:45pm
RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
The Drifters......

Drove down from Glasgow to London on Wednesday night through the worst weather I've encountered for years. Car really didn't waver or drift, but one traditional RR tendency is still evident.......when the car jumps to the right (very slightly) under very heavy braking at high speed (ie on a motorway). It is nowhere near as dramatic as it used to be, but can still catch you out.

Post #2819 Fri Sep 30 2005 9:42pm
RRUK

The plot thickens

Well, took the car back to Stratstones this morning first thing (8am). Took the technician (nice guy to be fair) on a drive, showed him what the car was doing, he agreed, not right. They took it into the workshop and adjusted the tracking, although they said it was within tolerances beforehand anyway.

Go for another drive, unchanged, still drifts to the left. So, go for a drive in their brand new demo Supercharged in Rimini (see my gallery). Car is newer than mine at less than one week old and has 243 miles on the clock. On the drive I let go of the wheel and it behaves normally. Case proven, my car is not behaving normally.

They take it back into the workshop and want to do a full 4 wheel alignment check, except the machine won't fit on the 20" alloys, so they remove all my wheels, replace them with normal 19" ones. Then the alignment machine runs out of charge and they say it will take an hour to power it up. By this time it's 12pm and I've been there for four hours. I am coffee'd to the max and sick to death of daytime TV, newspapers and the Nottingham Life magazine. They courier me home. I have left my house keys in the car haven't I? Yes.

Luckily my parents are only 2 miles away and they have a set, so I sit on my doorstep waiting. Mum to the rescue. (God bless ALL mums) Smile

Anyway, I call them at 2:45pm and ask for an update to be told it's ready (I resist the temptation to ask why they did not call me in that case...)

Apparently it has now undergone a 4 wheel alignment, they have tested it and are happy it keeps a straight line now. They are sending a man to collect me so I can test it for myself. I hope it IS fixed as I think they were running out of ideas. The only other remedy suggestion the Technician had was swapping wheels and tyres as sometimes you get a tyre with a greater rolling radius than others, but after that, they'd be stumped.

Has anyone seen any notices on the PAYG GTR site about vehicle drifting?

Please don't misunderstand me, I am in no way aggrieved at the dealership, they have been polite, courteous and fine, I am just annoyed that I had to go back after 1 week of ownership, I was really hoping that it would be plain sailing with a brand new car.

The major irony was that on my return from the test drive in their supercharged, 'my' salesman was at the entrance with another chap in a black TDv6HSE, I wound down the window and he said "Alright?" I told him mine was definitely wrong, and the owner said "join the club...this ones been a problem since day one in June". Even the salesman admitted that his car was an actual lemon and I said 'well get him a replacement then!', to which he replied they were looking to do that now (After 3 months! I'd not have that much patience)

Anyway, I'll let you know what the outcome is today when I get it home. Fingers crossed. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2879 Mon Oct 03 2005 2:04pm
RRUK

Outcome

So, I go to pick it up, the nice man comes to fetch me from home and I hear some priceless stories of stupid people's antics at the showroom, like the woman who reversed her A4 Avant through the wall, wrote off her car, caused £15,000 of structural damage to the building and then had to cough up for the lot because her insurance was INVALIDATED because she had let her car tax run out....a lesson to be learnt there I think. Surprised

Anyway, all they'd tell me was the car has had a full 4 wheel alignment and the Service Manager has taken it for a test drive (I hate test pilots) and verified it is now OK. I was sceptical. Confused

I drove home and luckily, surprisingly, thankfully it DOES seem ok. It's no longer trying to make love to the kerb and likes to keep straight (Like me) Wink

I could tell the Service Manager has a heavy right foot though, my average MPG figure was 18.5mpg when I left it with them, it was 15mpg when I returned. Ouch. Crying or Very sad I know I shouldn't moan about MPG as I picked the MOST uneconomical Land Rover product ever made possibly, but it still chafes when someone else drives your car harder than you'd do it. Oh well. Soon forgotten.

Still, when you buy a brand new car, you don't expect it might need so much work to make it drive in a straight line do you? Let's hope it's a one off.

Now I can get on with the job of just enjoying the damned thing!

Thanks for listening. Laughing L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2882 Mon Oct 03 2005 4:43pm
l

Spain 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I hope that is the end of that as you have been waiting so long for your car RRS TDV6 HSE BUCKINGHAM BLUE BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR RHODIUM TASMOD SILLS PARROT 3000 EVOLUTION WHITE SIDE REPEATERS RRPORT.CO.UK BROLLY & STICKER
HOW GOOD IS THIS CAR!!!!
8 YEARS AND STILL GETTING LOOKS

Post #2883 Mon Oct 03 2005 4:47pm
RRUK

Me too!

A 3 month wait was not THAT long I guess, could have been longer.

Your signature is right though, how nice is this car!!!...I have been out today and my mpg has dropped now I am starting to open the taps a bit more, took it up to 90mph today and did a few kick-downs to make sure it gets used in all the rev bands as I break it in gently. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #2885 Mon Oct 03 2005 6:06pm
Esoteric

I have driven many vehicles with low wide tires. These tend to wander a bit and really follow the crown in the road. I have experienced some wander and some drift with my RRS but nothing that I do not consider normal. If you take your truck to a wide open flad parking lot you can really test it out. I have no wander or drift in such a scenario. Hope this helps.

Post #2934 Tue Oct 04 2005 10:58pm
Biggles

England 

Just got of the phone to a business associate who owns one of the new Range Rovers, this is his second week of ownership and has taken it back to the dealers (same as mine "bloody terrible place" his words not mine, we think alike)for drifting to the left.
They have told him it is the camber of the english roads. He responded to them by swaying he had spent the past few days in europe driving on the wrong side of the road and it still pulled to the left.
Car now booked in for full re alignment check. Seems to be a common thing across the model range. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #3125 Mon Oct 10 2005 11:51am
cpurewal

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Zambezi Silver
drifting

my rover when i first got it was in the shop more than it was on the road. i had the same problem, the dealer found some bolts up front they needed replacement. after being on backorder, i finally got them and now it seems fine. too many other little fit and finish items, dont think i want another one.

chan

Post #3145 Tue Oct 11 2005 6:18am
Mr G in NYC

United States 

I have no problems with the Continental drift Thing ! So far so good.
may be it is the roads ? Difference betweeen the UK & US. I used to
live in London for 20 years so I know how bad the road surface is compared to say France or Germany or the US. Just a thought ! for what its worth. Question

Post #3902 Mon Oct 24 2005 5:57pm
Persuader

United Kingdom 

My RR Sport was exactly the same.
Took it in for 4 wheel alignment at dealers and it still did it after that. Took it back again and they did alignment again and then it was fixed totally. So anybody with same problem - if alignment dosent fix it then get them to do again as obviously the allowable tolerances within the allignment are too great. 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI
2006 Toyota Vigo Truck 3.0D4D.

Post #3903 Mon Oct 24 2005 6:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

I agree Persuader. I have no problem with drift in mine. I can be doing fast speeds on the motorway with no hands & get no drift at all. Also if I brake - the car remains in a straight line. So if you are not happy with your steering get it checked & checked again untill it is 100% perfect. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #3929 Tue Oct 25 2005 8:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>