RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Adaptive headlights - what do they do ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

So is this right that the SE model has the corner lights? I have bi-xenons and I've not noticed any corner lights. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #8393 Tue Dec 20 2005 2:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

No, its not a standard feature.
They have three levels of lights,
normal standard ones

Bi xenons,

then adaptive Bi Xenons,
unless your TDV6 is specc'd up with adaptive lights, you don't get them standard.
Mine has the Bi xenons being a HSE but no adaptive jobbys..

Post #8396 Tue Dec 20 2005 2:59pm
grommet

United States 

Biggles wrote:
Grommet, the adaptive lights do not move when the vehicle is stationary, they actually go back to centre as the car comes to rest and this can clearly be seen when coming to rest on my driveway or at a particular set of traffic lights close our home.
I guess I should have said "navigating through a parking garage." Smile I clearly see them move while parking.

Post #8419 Tue Dec 20 2005 6:32pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

mpwox11 / KAM100 - The current Land Rover website specification page shows that Bi-xenon headlights with corner lamps are standard on the SE and HSE and an option on the S. That specification may have changed recently though......

Post #8443 Tue Dec 20 2005 11:32pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Biggles wrote:
Smarticus the best way to see them move is drive about 10 mph and turn the steering to any side and you can visibly see the beam of the light move to the same direction as the front wheels are pointing.

I am still struggling with this. Obviously if you are driving at 10mph and you turn the steering wheel the whole car (and therefore the headlights) turn to the same direction. Should the headlight beam actually turn to a greater extent ? Or do they perhaps turn quicker than the vehicle itself ? Or have I paid £300 for an optional extra that hasn't been fitted ?

Post #8444 Tue Dec 20 2005 11:36pm
grommet

United States 

Smarticus,

The Adaptive Headlight beam really moves. Honestly. It's obvious. Note the marketing: "As the vehicle´s steering direction, pitch and speed of vehicle change, they quickly respond, moving left, right, up or down, following the curve of the road and allowing easier night-time driving."

When turning on your vehicle with the lights on, the Adaptive Headlights do a "calibration" movement in multiple directions. It's very, very obvious. If your vehicle's headlights don't do a bizarre little dance, you have normal Bi-Xenon headlights. In the evening, stand in front of your vehicle and have someone start your vehicle... so you can have a direct look. You can then have them drive around slowly so you can see them in action.

Post #8452 Wed Dec 21 2005 12:49am
mnederlof

United States 

Smarticus wrote:

I am still struggling with this. Obviously if you are driving at 10mph and you turn the steering wheel the whole car (and therefore the headlights) turn to the same direction. Should the headlight beam actually turn to a greater extent ? Or do they perhaps turn quicker than the vehicle itself ? Or have I paid £300 for an optional extra that hasn't been fitted ?

I'm in the US and have a SC with the adaptive lights, and I definitely notice their usefulness. Smarticus: the headlight beam turns EXACTLY at the same rate as the car...that's the point. I've played around with this (my neighbors must be considering calling the police given how many times I've driven around certain bends in our neighborhood at different speeds with strangely erratic turning speeds Shocked )

The speed of the light angle change is calibrated to take into account vehicle speed, pitch (as in squatting when accelerating and diving when braking) and steering wheel position. At highway speeds the turn is less obvious because of the small steering wheel change at high speeds. At low speeds, the wheel turn is greater making for larger light beam sweeps.

The calibration is good enough that the whole thing looks very natural and unobtrusive. I've tried to fool it into "oversteering" the light for kicks, to no avail....pretty annoying when you're trying to demonstrate a "feature" to the wife that you insisted you "had to have!"

Maarten

PS: The same wife also swears she doesn't see any difference between a high definition TV picture and a standard definition (analog) broadcast, even on a 60 inch tv! argh! Confused 2006 RRS SC
2006 RR HSE

Last edited by mnederlof on Fri Dec 23 2005 2:22am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #8603 Thu Dec 22 2005 2:31pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Quote:
PS: The same wife also swears she doesn't see any difference between a high definition TV picture and a standard definition (analog) broadcase, even on a 60 inch tv! argh!

That's a good thing - my wife thinks I look like George Clooney whilst I know I look more like Les Dawson. Very Happy 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #8604 Thu Dec 22 2005 2:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12