Home > General > OOPPS Petrol in a Diesel HSE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

nigelpugh

United Kingdom 
OOPPS Petrol in a Diesel HSE

Guys,

This is on behalf of a friend of mine.

Yes he did fill it with Petrol not Diesel as it should have been.

Yes he did run the engine and drive it until it stops> oh boy.

Any ideas on what damage may have been done.

We are assuming LR will not honour the warranty.

We are going to drain the tank, then the system, then flush with fresh diesel.

Then refill. We are then going to look at the injectors, and glow plugs.

Any other ideas of what may have got damaged and any other advice would be most welcome.

Of course all I can say is DOH!!

Thanks in advance.

Nigel.

Nigel Pugh

Post #8205 Fri Dec 16 2005 7:43pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Embarassed Ouch!! Embarassed

I don't know exactly what damage will have been done, but if you've (or er... your friend) driven the engine until it gives up, I'd be surprised if you get away with simply draining the system and refilling with diesel. A colleague of mine once did this with a Freelander and indeed LR did not do the restorative work under warranty. It cost him £1500 to fix. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #8206 Fri Dec 16 2005 7:54pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

My wife did this in a VW Golf Tdi a couple of years ago. All that needed was draining, flushing out and refilling. Worked fine after that for another year before selling it. Mind you I suspect the diesel in a RRS is a bit more highly strung than in a VW Golf.....

Post #8212 Sat Dec 17 2005 1:20am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

I wouldn't of thought it would do much harm. If it was the other way around (diesel in a petrol engine) then that would be more of a problem. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #8214 Sat Dec 17 2005 2:03am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Why don't the manufacturers and petrol retailers make a nozel especially for diesel cars? They do if for unleaded - Top gear mocked a gadget in that informed you that your car was a diesel when you opened the fuel flap, I for one thought it wasn't a bad idea especially if you drive various cars some petrol some diesel. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #8217 Sat Dec 17 2005 10:05am
Biggles

England 

The last person I know who did this in an Isuzu 3.0d trooper had to replace all the injectors, the extra heat of the petrol burnt the tips away.
This was on a journey from filling with petrol to having to stop of about two miles. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #8219 Sat Dec 17 2005 1:10pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I don't like to scare people for nothing, and I have NO direct experience of this myself, but all I can tell you is that I was told by a LR Dealer person that someone had done this on a brand new RRS, and the cost to repair was £5K.

I am not sure if this was exaggerated so I cannot vouch for it being true.

I really hope your friend can sort it out, but it IS unlikley that LR will pay for it on the warranty.

I guess those of us who it has never happened to can easily say that such people are incredibly daft, but then it must be very easy to do, as LOTS of people do it and with different petrol stations having different colours for different fuels....it just makes it worse.

Let us know how he gets on, his unfortunate experience will be great here for others to see, heed and learn by. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #8230 Sat Dec 17 2005 7:54pm
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
petrol in diesel

Nigel, do what you have suggested, and run the car for at least 2 months, think that you will find no problems, but if you find the engine a little slugglish complain to your dealer, and they will sort it under warranty, but do not memtion about the petrol. As far as I can find out, petrol may cause the washers in the fuel pump to soften, but sometimes it will not make any difference at all. Good luck

Post #8235 Sat Dec 17 2005 8:59pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

The cost of replacing all fuel related components is indeed £5000 but most insurers will cover this under accidental damage...hopefully Wink

Post #8236 Sat Dec 17 2005 9:02pm
scorpio

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Rimini Red
nigel,

Just mention petrol in your diesel tank , in January, and your dealer will think that Xmas has come early !

Post #8237 Sat Dec 17 2005 9:09pm
noddy and bigears

England 
Re: OOPPS Petrol in a Diesel HSE

nigelpugh wrote:
Guys,

This is on behalf of a friend of mine.

Yes he did fill it with Petrol not Diesel as it should have been.

Yes he did run the engine and drive it until it stops> oh boy.

Any ideas on what damage may have been done.

We are assuming LR will not honour the warranty.

We are going to drain the tank, then the system, then flush with fresh diesel.

Then refill. We are then going to look at the injectors, and glow plugs.

Any other ideas of what may have got damaged and any other advice would be most welcome.

Of course all I can say is DOH!!

Thanks in advance.

Nigel.

Nigel Pugh
why do you assume lr wont honour the warranty do you have a special one to cover personal f*@kups if not then they have nothing to honour or are we just talking a bit of harmless fraud lets pretend we didnt fill it with petrol and hope no one finds out Shocked

Post #8239 Sat Dec 17 2005 10:34pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

The biggest problem is damage to rubber seals in the fuel system...never mind any possible damage to injectors etc.

You might be able to convince LR to only flush out the fuel system but they will log your mistake on their computers and void and fuel related component failure in the future.

Just be honest and call your insurance company Wink

Post #8244 Sun Dec 18 2005 10:26am
kam100

United Kingdom 
Some relief to this problem maybe??

Just saw this post on Bm3w.co.uk reminded me of your trobles.. (sorry i mean ur mates troubles)..

"Borrowed my mate's Smart Roadster last night and drove it to work this morning. Needed to fuel up so I stopped at the BP station to get some super unleaded. Looked at the pump and saw the "BP Ultimate" blue coloured nozzle and poured in 4 litres. Paid and came back, started it up and after a few seconds before I drove off it started spluttering and I switched off immediately. Looked at the nozzle again and saw "BP Ultimate....diesel" OH F**K! Called the AA who came after an hour and 45 mins (!!) towed it to a local garage who have it right now. Will be looking at at least £120 and a lot more if there's been damage.

A colleague of mine mailed me this though:

"BP pledges to compensate drivers
A pledge by UK oil company BP to compensate drivers who fill up with the wrong fuel at their petrol stations has been welcomed by Liz Lynne MEP who has campaigned to curb vehicle misfuelling.
More than 120,000 drivers each year in Britain, make the expensive and sometimes calamitous mistake of filling their petrol or diesel vehicles with the wrong fuel. It's an error, which the AA say can cost anything from £80 to £3,000 to put right.
The number of AA callouts to deal with the problem has risen by almost 10% over the last five years, and the equivalent of 13 tanker loads of fuel is said to be wasted through misfuelling incidents every month.
BP admits that colouring their 'Ultimate Unleaded' and 'Ultimate Diesel' pumps with different shades of blue has caused some confusion. Their Vice president, John Mumford, has pledged to compensate any drivers who misfuelled, and perhaps damaged their vehicle, as a result of the mix-up.
He said: "As a gesture of goodwill BP is prepared to cover any costs for drainage, flushing the engine and any replacement parts plus labour and VAT."
The company says it has decided to change the colour of the 'Ultimate Unleaded' nozzle handle from light blue to green to avoid further misfuelling incidents.
Euro-MP Liz Lynne has congratulated the firm for offering compensation to its customers but argues that a Europe-wide approach is needed to provide a permanent solution.
She said: "Thousands of people across Europe make this mistake every day. We all drive the same cars and use fuel sold by the same oil companies so we need EU coordination to sort this out."
The European Commission has agreed to consider steps to reduce the confusion. The Commission will consult manufacturers of both vehicles and fuel pumps to identify practical solutions to the problem.
Drivers who have misfuelled at a BP station can call the company's customer care team on 0800 402 402 for further details on how to make a claim."

Anyone know or had any experience of this? I have logged the incident with BP and they're going to get back to me in a few days"

Im hoping for you, that you used a BP station??
http://www.aatrust.com/files/reports/01022004_misfuelling.pdf
check out that AA file also..

Post #8625 Thu Dec 22 2005 3:39pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Quote:

And if you didn't get down there now and buy some to put into your tank! Wink 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #8629 Thu Dec 22 2005 3:48pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Very annoyed wrote:
Quote:

And if you didn't get down there now and buy some to put into your tank! Wink

Sorry your friends tank. Wink 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #8646 Thu Dec 22 2005 4:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>