RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > TurboChip......what a difference!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RAD

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
TurboChip......what a difference!

Chris from TurboChip came to my house this week and worked his magic on the car. It took about 2 hours and I would certainly consider it one of my better investments.

To be honest, the performance was sufficient, but the turbo-lag, especially when pulling into a roundabout, often caught me out. Must get used to these diesels!

The majority of the lag has gone, the throttle sensitivity has changed in a positive way beyond all belief and the mid range torque is way better.

So what’s the downside…….well, I am getting fractionally better mpg (about 28mpg when I was averaging 26mpg) so that’s ok. It starts immediately, goes faster, better torque and…eh….that’s about it. Oh, Chris wanted some money. I suppose that’s the trade off. But then he did give me the www.rrsport.co.uk discount.

So all in all, I have got a wonderful car that goes even better. Good stuff like that doesn’t happen much, although I think that TASMOD’s s/s sill plates are definitely an entrant to the 2005 RRS awards.

Post #4205 Sat Oct 29 2005 1:56pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

RAD,

Keep us posted on how the car performs longer term, this is certainly going to be one of the most popular upgrades for the TDV6 I reckon. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4254 Sun Oct 30 2005 6:42pm
dusty

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Chris worked his magic in my RRS TDV6 last week. Totally different car to drive, well worth doing. Smile

Post #4275 Sun Oct 30 2005 9:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSJL

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi,

This is my first post - congratualtions on a very good forum! I collected my diesel RRS a few days ago and this post intrigued me...

What price is the turbo chip? And how would it affect warranty claims/insurance claims?

Is it easily removable should I need to take the car in for a service etc?

Many thanks

Post #4281 Sun Oct 30 2005 10:33pm
RAD

Welcome to the forum........

The price is about £595, but there is a special discount for forum members which I am sure that Chris (TurboChip) will tell you all about.

As the mod actually changes the ECU settings and there are no additional parts, just re-programming, it is apparently undetectable, but again, Chris is the best person to set your mind at rest.

Obviously, as there is nothing to remove, you don’t need to do anything when taking the car in for service.

Is it worth it. Absolutely, it has dramatically changed my car, worth every penny!

Post #4344 Mon Oct 31 2005 11:38am
noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Hey RAD - It's been a few weeks since your post on the TurboChip - any chance of a refresher on how the car is behaving? Are the improvements in MPG still there? If so, I calculated that with diesel at 90p a litre the TC upgrade pays for itself in around 20k miles... geeky I know but it's one my way of getting new non-essential expenses past the wife..

Seriously considering taking the plunge and giving the red devil a power boost. Do you need to tell your dealer/ insurance company that you've had the upgrade done, or is it really impossible to detect?

Cheers.. Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #7703 Sun Dec 11 2005 7:39pm
GMH

United Kingdom 

I'd also be very interested to see how's it's going RAD.
Hopefully it's all good news.
Cheers,

Post #7727 Mon Dec 12 2005 12:08pm
Mr Bean

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Me too, I'll be checking the progress here. I'm thinking of the upgrade in the New Year maybe after my first service at 15,000 miles. Will a discount to forum members still be available TC?

Post #7730 Mon Dec 12 2005 12:51pm
RAD

The trouble with something that works to specification is that you soon forget what it was like in the previous life.

Since the “enhancement” the car has performed flawlessly, the more sensitive throttle has made a huge difference and I am getting just over 500 miles to a tank. I done just over 7k miles – 4k with the mod and the mid-range performance for overtaking (a novelty beforehand) is much less fraught as the torque is dramatically improved.

I would thoroughly recommend the mod.........now if somebody would just sort out a bypass for the GPS movement cut-out, the car would be perfect!

Post #7749 Mon Dec 12 2005 4:11pm
KevinJM

Yugoslavia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
is this question as dumb as it sounds?

What are the implications for insurance if the power output is modified? and what about the original manufacturers warranty? I will have to haul my car up out of here to get it done so would like to know the score before i go ahead RRS TDV6 (gone)
RRS TDV8 HSE(gone, burned out)
ML 320 CDI Airmatic

Post #8177 Fri Dec 16 2005 3:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1