RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > I need a good argument to buy a RRS - help!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

nodz

I need a good argument to buy a RRS - help!

First post from a new member...

So it's time to upgrade the Audi Allroad and the choice is between a diesel Disco 3 or RRS.

The car will be the main family vehicle (we have two kids) but will also do my wife's daily 25 mile commute each day. The car won't need to do any heavy-duty off-roading or any serious load-lugging. It will need to be an auto and I'm keen to get at least 25mpg which is what the Allroad achieves.

Perhaps this is a common scenario, but my wife favours the Disco (primarily for the option of the 7 seats) while I'd love to get a RRS. Seven seats aren't a necessity but I agree that they would be useful once a month to ferry around the grandparents rather than take two cars.

So i need an argument to help me into the RRS (other than I'm paying!!).

What's it like as a practical family vehicle? Has anyone else bought a Disco and regretted it or vica versa. Is there infact a 7 seat conversion kit for the RRS? What's the space like in the rear? Is fuel consumption better on the RRS than the Disco (official figures say it is slightly).

So that's my situation. And any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Post #155906 Fri Feb 15 2008 10:03am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Welcome to the forum, Nodz Thumbs Up

The D3 is indeed more spacious than the RRS and if you're choosing a car simply on the practicality aspect then the D3 wins. However, if you have an ounce of blood running through your veins and look for something else from your cars other than the ability to shift tarmac about the place, then the RRS is still the much better drive.

You'll see this argument countless times on this forum if you hunt about a bit... but the best thing (given it's going to be your decision at the end of the day) is to go to your local dealer and take both out for a while. Take the kids, carseats etc and see how each fares. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #155909 Fri Feb 15 2008 10:09am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I have a RRS and a D3 - the wife prefers the RRS as I do. Enough said.

Seriously both cars are great but the ride/drive of the RRS is far superior. As you don't need the space the RRS is the car for you. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #155919 Fri Feb 15 2008 10:20am
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

RRS all the way for me

But like S said get the family down to LR and have a site and drive in both of them RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #155922 Fri Feb 15 2008 10:24am
SteveWilliams

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

you won't regret buying an RRS. If you buy the D3 you'll always wander what could have been. RRS is one of the best looking cars on the road in my opinion. As others have said D3 will win on practicality but how often are you going to need those 7 seats ????????

Post #155926 Fri Feb 15 2008 10:30am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

SteveWilliams wrote:
you won't regret buying an RRS. If you buy the D3 you'll always wander what could have been. RRS is one of the best looking cars on the road in my opinion. As others have said D3 will win on practicality but how often are you going to need those 7 seats ????????

Exactly! Thumbs Up Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #155929 Fri Feb 15 2008 10:34am
Steve in germany

Germany 

They all said what i wainted to say Big Cry Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #155943 Fri Feb 15 2008 11:02am
nodz

thanks for the comments. i'm convinced - but my wife might be a different proposition!

obviously test drives back to back are the next step.

so will i get 25mpg+ out of the RRS v6 diesel?

and what are the must-have options? is there some sort of dynamic/handling option?

thanks again for your help. the views of current owners are a valuable resource to add to what is usually a pretty short test drive.

thanks.

Post #155945 Fri Feb 15 2008 11:28am
Endjin

Scotland 

Welcome Nodz Thumbs Up
Yep totally agree with what the guys have said. My RRS HSE TDV6 delivers average of 27.6 mpg.
The D3 is great but the RRS wins on looks (Inside & Out)and has great on road manners.
Another thing to remember is the safety of your family! In a crash both cars will protect you
extremely well. They don't score so high on NCAP because they are not as friendly to those that you hit!
But, at the end of the day I care about my family's safety first!
And of course last but not least, If you go for the RRS then you will have the pleasure of everyones
company on this wonderful forum Mr. Green Whistle 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #155949 Fri Feb 15 2008 11:43am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

25mpg in the TDV6 is not unreasonable. You can get less, and you get can more Wink As with any car, it all depends on how you drive and the sort of driving you do - town, motorway etc.

If you're buying new and it's in the right price ballpark, get yourself into an HSE... these have everything you (and subsequent owners of your car) will want, including Dynamic Response (which is the handling pack), 20in wheels, SatNav and PTI (which is the bluetooth phone interface).

Doubtless the dealer test drive will be short, but if you make yourself enough of a prospect see if you can get a LR Experience out of him. This is a half-day's event at an Experience centre which will give you a selection of on and offroad chances to try the vehicle out in a less stressed manner. Plus you'll be able to chat to one of the Experience instructors who normally know their stuff about the cars. 

Post #155950 Fri Feb 15 2008 11:46am
nodz

thanks smoogle.

has the hse always had these options included ie would i still get them on a second hand purchase?

a v8 diesel isn't out of the question, although a chipped v6 will be a lot cheaper, as well as allowing me to buy a model that's done more of its depreciation.

i guess it's too early in the model's lifespan to worry about facelifts or replacement models?

Post #155954 Fri Feb 15 2008 11:58am
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

They haven't always had those as standard... I think DR and 20s became standard a couple of model years ago, the PTI was more recent as standard kit. It's always had Satnav as standard.

If you're buying second hand, then you'll find most HSEs out there certainly had the PTI spec'd as an option. Obviously, if you're thinking of a TDV8 - these are new enough to have all the kit and there was only ever HSE spec anyway (i.e. no S or SE existed) Very Happy 

Post #155955 Fri Feb 15 2008 12:03pm
PJPR01

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue

Invite your wife to the forum for her to read the feedback...that should seal the deal.

RRS is so much more stylish, LR3/D3 is very nice and practical...but if it's windy, you'll feel the vehicle being pushed around a lot more than the RRS.

Or...you can do as VA...buy them both!!! PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #156001 Fri Feb 15 2008 6:03pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Having bought a TDV8 RRS last october I have now put about 10k miles on it, engine, drive train etc has been faultless, the iPod module broke down and was replaced under waranty has been the only problem.
Fuel consumption is way better than I expected, with the road tyres on I am getting 30+mpg, off road tyres and it drops to about 29mpg. Just towed a trailer from Belgium to John o' Groats the RRS had the offroad tyres on and I got a respecable 28.6mpg for the trip. For long trips etc. I could not ask for a better car, a quick blast down to Italy for the weekend is effortless, cruising on the autobahn at 200km/h Smile
Boot space is good, not great tho, the wifey's focus estate can hold slightly more. It can hold everything for the family of 4 for a month away no problem.
Now all I have to do is try and get the keys back off wifey so I can have a drive Wink Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #156006 Fri Feb 15 2008 6:59pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I have said it before, but I'll say it again :

RRS TDv6 = Form over Function

D3 TDv6 = Function over Form

but the RRS TDv8 = FFFFFing Brilliant Flying Machine - I love her to bits and wouldn't swap for anything else Thumbs Up RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #156017 Fri Feb 15 2008 9:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>