RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Rear Seat Belts - ratchet mechanism, driving me mad!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Howard

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue
Rear Seat Belts - ratchet mechanism, driving me mad!

Has anybody else experienced frustrations with the ratchet system. We have a baby seat (rear facing, young baby not a fixed unit) that involves moving the seat belt around quite a lot to fit each time you put the baby in the car. Once the ratchet system locks, you don't have any flexibility to move it unitl you realease it and start again. This can take 2/3 times every time you put the baby in the car - this is driving my wife mad.

Obviously a good idea large parcles/boxes on leather seats but not practical for those of us with baby seats. Any ideas, apparently it cannot be turned off.

This is not the same as the normal locking mechansism that operates in a emergency situation.[/b]

Post #7699 Sun Dec 11 2005 11:19am
acole10000

United States 2010 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Most good baby seats have a base that you can permanently lock/belt into the car and then you just snap the seat in an out each time you want to take the baby somewhere, we had two bases - one for each of the cars and just one seat/carrier.

I find the ratcheting mechanism extremely helpful (most all cars have this), in the days before, you had to use these little clips and you would spend hours futzing to get a seat in there tight.

Remember, you can never have a baby seat too tight, this is the most valuable thing you will ever carry. A non secured 8 pound baby in a 65mph crash can be like a ballistic missile in the car, strap him/her in well.

Good Luck 

Post #7700 Sun Dec 11 2005 12:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 
Re: Rear Seat Belts - ratchet mechanism, driving me mad!

Howard wrote:
Has anybody else experienced frustrations with the ratchet system. We have a baby seat (rear facing, young baby not a fixed unit) that involves moving the seat belt around quite a lot to fit each time you put the baby in the car. Once the ratchet system locks, you don't have any flexibility to move it unitl you realease it and start again. This can take 2/3 times every time you put the baby in the car - this is driving my wife mad.

Obviously a good idea large parcles/boxes on leather seats but not practical for those of us with baby seats. Any ideas, apparently it cannot be turned off.

This is not the same as the normal locking mechansism that operates in a emergency situation.[/b]

I had the same problem - there is a knack of fitting a seat easily. The golden rule is not to pull more belt than you need to buckle the belt, then you are free to pull out the remaining belt. I fould this difficult and resorted to pulling the whole seatbelt out, buckling the buckle anf then putting the remaining belt around the back of the seat. One tip with this is that once the buckle is fitted twist the child seat to get the seatbelt aroud the back.

I have now just bought an isofix system for my daughter and these are fantastic. GOOD LUCK. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #7701 Sun Dec 11 2005 1:57pm
Howard

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue
Helpful Tips

Will try that approach tomorrow! Thanks.

Post #7702 Sun Dec 11 2005 6:30pm
NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

hello

strange this subject should come up but our baby is due in febuary and when we went shopping for seats we found this ratcheting to be a big problem, so we ordered a britax isofix system which should be ok

Neil 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #7708 Sun Dec 11 2005 9:22pm
acole10000

United States 2010 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Stornoway Grey

For everyone in the US--------

ISOFIT/ISOFIX is also known as LATCH
(Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children). 

Post #7709 Sun Dec 11 2005 9:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

We used Isofix for our son in our previous Audis - the best thing we ever bought ( baby wise that is ) worth every penny . Clicks into car - thats it fitted - fantastic. They're more secure , less fiddly & in my opinion having seen many other options & systems in use - look more comfortable for the llittle person in them........ now thats got to be a winner Very Happy 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #7728 Mon Dec 12 2005 11:47am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

MDP wrote:
We used Isofix for our son in our previous Audis - the best thing we ever bought ( baby wise that is ) worth every penny . Clicks into car - thats it fitted - fantastic. They're more secure , less fiddly & in my opinion having seen many other options & systems in use - look more comfortable for the llittle person in them........ now thats got to be a winner Very Happy

agree 100% 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #7729 Mon Dec 12 2005 11:49am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1