RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Oh No !
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Biggles

England 
Oh No !

Report: Renault eyes up Jaguar takeover?
by Henry Biggs,
last updated December 8 2005

Renault is keen to take Jaguar off Ford’s hands according to the respected French business magazine L’Expansion. The report claims that the French car maker was unsuccessful in it’s efforts to buy Volvo, the most profitable of Ford’s 'Premier Automotive Group' upmarket brands.

However Jaguar has been unprofitable ever since Ford bought the marque in 1989. Jag’s parent company is in bad shape itself and is expected to announce tens of thousands of job losses in the near future. In summer Jaguar’s ceased production at the historic Browns Lane plant in Coventry after 53 years. Despite this, the new Renault boss Carlos Ghosn is keen to expand his company’s portfolio into the profitable luxury sector. This is an area in which Renault has historically been unsuccessful, being seen more as a maker of small hatchbacks. In the year to November, the French car maker saw its European market share slip below ten percent. Sales of its best-selling Megane fell eight per cent and the larger Laguna by 20 per cent, despite a facelift. Jaguar XKR

Renault’s own attempt at a luxury model, the oddly styled Vel Satis failed miserably as did the even whackier Avantime and Renault has little expertise in this sector. Buying Jaguar would expand the French Marque’s repertoire and expand sales beyond its traditional Western European markets while providing a much needed cash boost for Ford.

Oh no we could be in for another engine maker. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #7534 Fri Dec 09 2005 10:29am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

And we sure don't want a Renault engine thank you............... I ran a Volvo 480ES with a Renault 1.9l engine for a couple of years, it was the most unreliable car I have ever run and in 5 attempts to drive to the south coast it never got passed Hilton Park Services on the M6, it always had to be collected by a flatbed truck from the Volvo dealer in Morecombe. I gave up with it and sold it for what was probably the most BORING car I have ever driven - an Audi 80 Avant Tdi 1.9....... it just never went wrong. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #7535 Fri Dec 09 2005 10:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

HELP! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #7539 Fri Dec 09 2005 10:47am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Bonnet de douche, Rodney!!! Jaguar owned by a French company? Does this mean the exhaust fumes will be tinged with garlic and that you'll be able to spec blue & white stripes for your interior trim? Hopefully the dealer will be able to throw in a free beret too! Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #7545 Fri Dec 09 2005 11:10am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

If the French buy Jag will the French spirit transfer to the service department? When you go in for a problem they'll just shrug their shoulders, give up on anything too hard and burn a few sheep for good measure! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #7553 Fri Dec 09 2005 12:01pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Laughing Laughing Laughing 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #7554 Fri Dec 09 2005 12:05pm
GMH

United Kingdom 

Could be worse, they might let the designer of the Vel Satis complete the first update to the RRS.
I can just see the queue to buy one then....
Shocked

Post #7559 Fri Dec 09 2005 12:20pm
Biggles

England 

I am I on the wrong company.

But the thoughts of an add on tv with the sport shaking that a**. Rolling Eyes Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #7561 Fri Dec 09 2005 12:27pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Very annoyed wrote:
If the French buy Jag will the French spirit transfer to the service department? When you go in for a problem they'll just shrug their shoulders, give up on anything too hard and burn a few sheep for good measure!

Hold on thats what the service department do already - less the sheep! Wink 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #7564 Fri Dec 09 2005 12:39pm
noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

[quote="Very annoyed"]

Very annoyed wrote:
If the French buy Jag will the French spirit transfer to the service department? When you go in for a problem they'll just shrug their shoulders, give up on anything too hard and burn a few sheep for good measure!

.. or just drop their spanners and run away..?? RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #7579 Fri Dec 09 2005 1:18pm
cherrybay

Belgium 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver
engine

what engine you diesel guys think you have now.....?

yes you're right a PSI (peugeot) french diesel engine

Post #7580 Fri Dec 09 2005 1:21pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

GMH wrote:
Could be worse, they might let the designer of the Vel Satis complete the first update to the RRS.
I can just see the queue to buy one then....
Shocked

But then they could have it designed by the guy who did the Avantime..... I think I read in Autocar that only something like 45 sold in the UK all told, now that makes it a very rare car - and if the car I saw was anyhting to go by it was really quite a nice beast, but HUGE, a Renault Espace with a coupe body with 4 seats! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #7593 Fri Dec 09 2005 2:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1