RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Speed Camera Detectors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

nickp

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver
Speed Camera Detectors

Is anybody ( I know RRUK has one ) using a speed camera detector , was just wondering which was the best one to buy ? Could be an Xmas present.

Post #7473 Thu Dec 08 2005 9:52pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

i have been thinking about the same thing for the past few months also,
i was always told before to get the road angel, is that still the best one to go for?

Post #7474 Thu Dec 08 2005 9:54pm
nickp

Kam
There seems to be 2 versions of the Road Angel , not sure which is the best one ?

Post #7476 Thu Dec 08 2005 9:58pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

probably the most expensive out of the two.. usually a good marker for quality/functions..

Post #7479 Thu Dec 08 2005 10:02pm
nickp

just checked on the web and the main difference is that the more expensive has radar gun warning as well . That is if you have time to slow down after you have been zapped or if the system has in fact warned you .
Would be good to hear if anybody else is using them.

Post #7480 Thu Dec 08 2005 10:06pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I've got a Belkan Euro 500(?) A bit old now but picks up everything. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #7484 Thu Dec 08 2005 10:30pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I've long thought about getting one...however....when I look at where I drive I know the GATSO locations....I know where the scamera locations are (always the same places anyway)....and I believe none of the detectors work effectively against laser....SPECS are pretty obvious any you have time to reduce your average speed....still not convinced it's worth it.......but then just watch I'll get knicked tomorrow Crying or Very sad HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #7499 Fri Dec 09 2005 12:18am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Have a read of

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/...ctors.html

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/44439/gps_locators.html Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #7507 Fri Dec 09 2005 1:38am
mark h

United Kingdom 

hello all i have posted this below with referance to speed detectors this test was done by a good friend of mine just to see what the main differences were between two gps speed detectors hope it helps mark

A quick summary Mark

Angel seems to take about 50% longer to lock on at bootup.

Angel only tells you that there is a fixed camera, not what type or what speed limit is on the road - B2 tells you what sort of camera and what the speed limit is on the road and the road number e.g. travelling into Chesterfield and the Angel notified me that there was a Fixed safety camera, whereas the Origin told me there was a Gatso, the road number and that the speed limit on that road was 40 – it also told me I was under the limit – see below.

Angel goes mental even if you're under the limit. Beeps the same as if you're over the limit and flashes faster as you get to the camera - If you're under the limit the B2 beeps once with one flash and then just displays the distance to the camera, type and speed limit but does not beep or flash again unless you go over the limit.

If you're over the limit the Angel notifies the same as above. The B2 audibly notifies you of camera type and speed, beeps three times and then beeps as you approach and flashes the LED's.

I liked the idea of the Angel screen changing colour but it's quite hard to see colour change if the unit is in sunlight - B2 uses flashing LED's rather than the whole screen

Angel gave about 12 additional black spot warnings not shown on B2 - more comprehensive database on the Angel but I wouldn't have classed some of them as black spots, seemed to flag every other junction on the M1.

3 false alarms on Angel - may have been for cameras that were in range but not on the road I was on. In one case it warned me about a camera I knew was about 200 yds beyond the roundabout I was approaching, however the B2 did not notify me until I was actually on that road i.e. had taken the turn off from the roundabout.

Only one set of 3 distance options on Angel, notification distance doubles if you are travelling over 50mph.

B2 is incremental and has one set for town and one set for motorway and uses time (only system that does I think) as well as distance e.g. in town notifies if you are 600 metres or 15 seconds from the camera but on the motorway 1000 metres or 15 seconds (fully adjustable)

Angel school setting is on or off - B2 is on, off or Smart i.e. only notifies between 8 & 9, 12 & 1 and 3 & 4 and not on weekends

B2 looks more "professional" - comment from a colleague on the way to the restaurant.

Anyway, I thought it was very useful to try them side by side mark

Post #7791 Mon Dec 12 2005 6:39pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Thanks Mark - good info! A couple of mates have the B2 as well and seem to be very happy with it. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #7793 Mon Dec 12 2005 6:44pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

wow.. B2 seems like a good bit of kit..
is the Origin B2 the one which you can get a lazer blocker with to?
or should i say garage opener!?

Post #7794 Mon Dec 12 2005 6:44pm
mark h

United Kingdom 

not sure on that kam i know that it has the option of laser detection but im led to believe that these type are to be outlawed again after andy had tested both units i think that i will put the angel on ebay

Shocked mark

Post #7802 Mon Dec 12 2005 7:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1