RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Engine ticking at idle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

SCDave

United States 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
Engine ticking at idle

So I just posted a hello and asking for a list of things I should do to catch up on the regular maintenance, I'll wait for that. Meanwhile, I've noticed a steady ticking noise coming from the engine bay at idle. I've never owned a v8 before but being around them, I've heard this little tick before. I'll also add i have 123k and the oil sticker on the windshield said 121k or 6 months ago. I'm gonna get the oil changed tomorrow and plan on using a high mileage/full synthetic valvoline oil change with dealer recommended filter. I was reading on another forum that's someone was having this issue and was told it was the the exhaust gasket leaking... I never heard of this making a steady ticking noise. Even if I rev the engine after it's warmed up, at idle the ticking rises and comes back down with a steady idle. No unsteady idle. At cold start up, it does not tick. I heard if it starts ticking at cold crank, and goes away after a couple minutes, it's usually the timing guides and tensioner that needs replaced. I'm glad that not the case. In my bad experience with an old nissan, i had a oil leak and because the oil was low, I could start hearing a ticking noise. It sounds very similar. I'm not worried about the job, since Ive been working or cars for almost 15 years but I've never given time to land rovers. Now that I have one, all i want to do is understand it so I can be ready for the job when it needs to be done. I'll let y'all know if it goes away after the oil change. Also, my parts place sells a solution that you add with the fresh oil. It's supposed to help reseal the pistol rings, connecting rod, bearings and help lubricate lifters and valves. Should I add this in my 4.2l SC engine?

2009 Range Rover Sport SC, 123K Miles, No leaks underneath. Drives great. Everything works.

Post #608356 Sat Jan 09 2021 10:18am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Possibly supercharger coupling worn or recoil spring broken, I think L/R call it torsional isolator spring, not unknown on a 4.2 I believe, might need nosecone overhaul.

Cheers
Col

Post #608357 Sat Jan 09 2021 10:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1