Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Snowchain
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Snowchain

Hi,
with the amount of snow falling this year in the Alps, I am wondering if it would be more safe to get a pair of chain in the car just in case... I have the standard tyres on the car (in size 255/50/19) can't remember the brand but the one the car came with. From what I understand on the forum, quite a few of you are unhappy with the std fit on "extreme conditions" which include snow.
I am wondering if anyone thinks I should have a pair in board just in case and if yes, what do you think of the Tyre Socks ( http://www.roofrackshop.com/snowchains_view.asp?prnID=395 ) ? Is it a credible alternative to chain? Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #147684 Mon Dec 10 2007 9:18am
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

On the page for Tyre Socks it says this:

"Important: Tyre socks of any brand are not yet a legally acceptable form of ’snow chain’ within European ski resorts."

Sad Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #147685 Mon Dec 10 2007 9:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jimmy_75000

Martin wrote:
On the page for Tyre Socks it says this:

"Important: Tyre socks of any brand are not yet a legally acceptable form of ’snow chain’ within European ski resorts."

Sad

I know but where I am going, snow chain are not an obligation for 4x4. I am just trying to be on the safe side due to the standard tyres been so bad on snow. Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #147687 Mon Dec 10 2007 9:35am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Jimmy there has been a thread over on disco3 about snow chains and their use/ necessity recently - it was more along the lines of "Is it false economy to buy cheap chains?" but you may find some of the posts interesting. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #147693 Mon Dec 10 2007 9:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jimmy_75000

thanks Tim, wnet through the different posts....

Don't really know what to think. I might buy the WeissSock just to have a backup solution if I get stuck in Jura or in the Alps.... Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Post #147697 Mon Dec 10 2007 10:12am
canaryman

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Cairns Blue

Hi Jimmy. If you are travelling through Germany and you do not have tyres that are "suitable for the road conditions" (winter tyres) then the police will stop you, fine you and you will not be able to continue your journey without fitting snow tyres or snow chains. The same goes if you are going to Austria and if it is Austria you must have a reflective "vest" for every passenger in the car and it must be within reach without getting out of the car Shocked .

Basically, the coppers over in Austria invent a law, quietly, and then they can rack up the fines as ignorance is no excuse Big Cry

Post #147716 Mon Dec 10 2007 11:53am
Jimmy_75000

canaryman wrote:
Hi Jimmy. If you are travelling through Germany and you do not have tyres that are "suitable for the road conditions" (winter tyres) then the police will stop you, fine you and you will not be able to continue your journey without fitting snow tyres or snow chains. The same goes if you are going to Austria and if it is Austria you must have a reflective "vest" for every passenger in the car and it must be within reach without getting out of the car Shocked .

Basically, the coppers over in Austria invent a law, quietly, and then they can rack up the fines as ignorance is no excuse Big Cry

Thanks for the info, will only drive in France and Switzerland. I have done the trip several times with my P38 but it had muds and snows shoes. Last X'Mas, done it with the Sport but there was absolutly no snow... This year, hopefully there will be way to much!!! Very Happy Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Post #147721 Mon Dec 10 2007 12:26pm
SachaR

Italy 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Hi,

Just ordered my chains ( all 4 of them!!) as Every Xmas We go up into the Austrian mountains, were each year, 4x4 or car etc, if you dont have chains you dont go up (or down for when it snows when you are leaving!).

cost here was approx 140 euro per pair,

Sacha RRS TDV8 HSE 2007- JAVA Black/Black interior,
UK BMW M3 CSL SB- now sold
1968 Innocenti mini

Post #147755 Mon Dec 10 2007 3:53pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

A friend of mine took the snowsocks to Morzine/Avoriaz in France and they was great to use, though he past police on the roadside they never stopped him, and he was worried as they are not recognized yet as snowchains,

His Audi A4 S-Line was unable to use conventional chains

Post #147796 Mon Dec 10 2007 10:30pm
Phantom

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

What would be the best option to fit on 20" wheels? (275/40R20)

I don't want to spend a fortune on them because I'll use them maybe 1d/year, and I'm sure the RRS will handle driving in snow just great.

The thing is that the police will check if you have chains in your car when driving up to the ski resorts and I don't want to be looking for 20" chains in France.
Last time it happened to me was with the Mercedes (245 17" wheels), I had to do 6 shops to find chains Rolling Eyes

So what's the best option to be ok with the regulations but without spending a fortune on something that will be used for 1d?

Thanks, Thumbs Up 08.5 RRS TDV6 HSE Java Black/Alpaga - Cold Climate Pack - Privacy Glass - Bluetooth - Sunroof - 20" wheels - Rubber Floor mats.
07 Mini Cooper Cabrio - Astro Black - Leather Recaro seats - Chili Pack - Chrome Pack - Chrono Pack - Extra Lights - JCW/K&N engine tuning - John Cooper edition.

Previous cars:
Mercedes C 270CDI - Opel Vectra GTS 2.2DTI - Volvo V40 1.9DTI - Mercedes C 220CDI

Post #149680 Mon Dec 24 2007 12:35pm
cherrybay

Belgium 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

i have the same prob i cant find 20" socks or chains

Post #149712 Mon Dec 24 2007 3:56pm
TheLynxEffect

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Err.... I'm in the same boat. Got 20" and need chains of some description to be legal. A somewhat short timescale to get them too as I'm heading off to the Alps on the 28th!

Anyone got any suggestions?

Post #149723 Mon Dec 24 2007 6:14pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Exclamation Exclamation

But I'm afraid you can't fit snow chains to 20" wheels. The biggest is 19". Not enough clearance or they don't make them that big. I also doubt that they make the snow socks in that size.

So I would suggest spare set of 19" wheels with winter tyres fitted is the way to go with a pair of snow chains for the front tyres to comply with the legal requirements, for winter use. And put your 20" back on in the spring or when you finish your trip.

This looks to be the only solution Thumbs Up TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #149725 Mon Dec 24 2007 6:41pm
Phantom

I did find some : http://www.michelin.fr/michelinfr/fr/auto-...x4-01.html

Sold here : http://www.pneus-online.fr/chaine-neige/MICHELIN/EASY,GRIP/

They seem to be priced 190€ / pair, so we'll 2 sets of them to be legally ok in France. 08.5 RRS TDV6 HSE Java Black/Alpaga - Cold Climate Pack - Privacy Glass - Bluetooth - Sunroof - 20" wheels - Rubber Floor mats.
07 Mini Cooper Cabrio - Astro Black - Leather Recaro seats - Chili Pack - Chrome Pack - Chrono Pack - Extra Lights - JCW/K&N engine tuning - John Cooper edition.

Previous cars:
Mercedes C 270CDI - Opel Vectra GTS 2.2DTI - Volvo V40 1.9DTI - Mercedes C 220CDI

Last edited by Phantom on Tue Dec 25 2007 12:10pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #149746 Tue Dec 25 2007 12:06pm
Phantom

Josh, in France 4x4 and propulsion vehicules require 2 sets of chains.

Also Socks don't exist in 20" and even if they're ok for Germany and Austria they are unlegal in France (even if they are sold there Rolling Eyes ) 08.5 RRS TDV6 HSE Java Black/Alpaga - Cold Climate Pack - Privacy Glass - Bluetooth - Sunroof - 20" wheels - Rubber Floor mats.

Previous cars:

Post #149747 Tue Dec 25 2007 12:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>