Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Events > 30th Dec: Shires post-Christmas play day at Slab Common
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

fridgefreezer

30th Dec: Shires post-Christmas play day at Slab Common

Slab Common 4x4 Day
December 30th 2007
Get away from cold turkey and the in-laws and get muddy!

This site is huge, with miles of great tracks for novices - but some really serious stuff for the more experienced! After all, it takes a lot to get a tank stuck...

Ground is mainly soft sand, wide main tracks and tight wooded areas. There are some big holes and some deep water. There's also loads of tanks about the place if you want to re-create that Top Gear bit with Clarkson and a Challenger on the plain Very Happy

The usual club rules apply.

Start: 1000
Finish: 1600

Difficulty: Intermediate - non-damaging if you stay out of the silly stuff.

Price: £25 (Advance bookings £20)
Note: You must be a SLRC member to play, you can join by ticking the box on the entry form and sending an extra £10 for a year's membership.

Facilities:
Marshals
Burger Van
Merchandise

For advance tickets and more information please download the Slab Common Flyer

Post #147237 Wed Dec 05 2007 5:25pm
cowey101

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Id love to go and play in the mud but its tooooo far away Big Cry Java Black TDV6 HSE - Java Grandes Marques 1/18 - Ducati 749s

Post #147239 Wed Dec 05 2007 6:09pm
SteveWilliams

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I will speak to she who must be obeyed as i'd love to get the car dirty and off road a bit. Its a bit of a trek from sunny Swindon but I may be allowed to play.

The site brings back memories as I used to work at the RAF camp nearby and I used to try and ride my bike around those tracks.

Post #147317 Thu Dec 06 2007 11:18am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Very tempted - thanks. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #147360 Thu Dec 06 2007 12:27pm
fridgefreezer

Hope to see a few RR's along then - traction control and less aggressive tyres could go quite a long way on the sand.

Post #147732 Mon Dec 10 2007 2:35pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Had a great time today - some very nice LR's there too! I played things pretty safe this time as some of the puddles looked a little too deep! Good site! Thumbs Up 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #150091 Sun Dec 30 2007 7:33pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Any pics or video VA? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #150093 Sun Dec 30 2007 7:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Sorry no but I met a guy who knows you Tim, he is called Julian and send his regards. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #150094 Sun Dec 30 2007 7:59pm
Tim in Scotland

Julian used to race his 1.8 Freelander 1 offroad - now he has a rather nice RR Classic LSE I think, as well as a winch special 90 Hybrid. Was Viccy also with him - she used to race her own Freelander in the British Hill Race scene........................... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #150095 Sun Dec 30 2007 8:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Not sure if Viccy was with him. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #150097 Sun Dec 30 2007 8:17pm
fridgefreezer

Julian & Vicky were there, yes. Jules doesn't have the 90 anymore after a small incident at Bunny Lane Shocked he now runs the Range Rover Classic LSE which is a great play thing.

It was a fabulous day, the first (but definitely not the last) time Shires have run an MOD site. We had over 100 vehicles through the gate and the marshals didn't stop all day - I don't think there was any point between 10.01 and 16.00 that there wasn't a recovery going on somewhere Laughing

Got a couple of pictures of Very Annoyed's RRS (which I'm quite jealous of truth be known):

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And one of my classic restoration just because:
Click image to enlarge

There will probably be more as people send me their photos for the newsletter, drop me an e-mail to newsletter (at) shirelrc.com and I'll try to remember to send them on!

Also, without wishing to plug another forum, there will probably be most pictures & some video footage appearing in the LR4x4 thread.

The next SLRC event is Bunny Lane, Romsey, on the 27th of January.

Post #150192 Wed Jan 02 2008 12:27am
Tim in Scotland

Great pics fridgefreezer - I hope that you made VA use his christmas pressie and get his wire dirty.................... Unfortunately your website won't let visitors download the pics but these are great. I'll have to try and join in one of your jaunts if I can get one to coincide with a trip to the sarf. Please pass my regards on to Jules and Viccy, I was down in Nursling at the end of October visiting some friends who brought their 3 months old 2007 Defender up to Scotland for some off road drives in the Argyll Forests. What is the 4x4 site at Minstead like? I have often seen Landies heading in there when I have been leaving the Forest to drive back to Scotland on a Sunday morning.

Your 110 was originally Scottish going by the HSF registration - is it a V8?

VA, you don't appear to have been trying very hard - 54MUD isn't very dirty by your standards Rolling with laughter Is that VA Jnr in the front passenger seat? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #150193 Wed Jan 02 2008 12:41am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Nice pics, some monster looking vehicles there Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #150211 Wed Jan 02 2008 10:45am
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

It looks as if a few people had some serious fun.

What is the story with this little green monster?

Click image to enlarge
 Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #150220 Wed Jan 02 2008 11:12am
fridgefreezer

Tim,
Minstead was a great site, as a club we used to book it. However, it seems they had to close some of the site and now use a field nearby with some man-made obstacles. From what I've heard it's not as much fun as it used to be which is a real shame. It's run by Muddy Bottom 4x4, you can see pictures on their website.

I'll be picky - my 110 is actually a 109, I don't know where it hails from (11 previous owners). It was originally a straight six but that was ditched in favour of a 3.9 V8 a few years back, then last year I ripped the whole vehicle to bits and did a complete rebuild. It's now a 4.6 V8 running MegaSquirt'n'EDIS EFi with R380 gearbox, LT230 transfer box with 2WD conversion, Volvo portal axles with PortalTek disc brakes, and a few other tweaks here and there. H14W hydraulic PTO winch waiting to go on when I get a moment Rolling Eyes

TB - The little green thing is a regular, it's a very well used SJ with a lot of bits unbolted. To be honest we try to discourage "sheds on trailers" turning up as we try to be a family orientated club and that chap tends to tear around the place like a bit of a loony, not what you want when you've got kids and nice shiny vehicles like VA's knocking about the place. That said, he did manage to keep his enthusiasm under control on Sunday and it's amazing where an SJ will go due to the weight advantage.

Post #150230 Wed Jan 02 2008 11:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>