RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Changing to larger wheels and vibrations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

MDP wrote:
I have just spoken to LR cust.serv on 08705 000500 & spoke to a lady who had to go and ask someone else the question. On return she informed me that not all models are fitted with the DAMPED STEERING GEAR. I would suggest you contact them direct - tell them what you have ordered and see what they say.

Best of luck Confused

So the only rule of thumb is that the SC models definitely get one because they have 20in wheels by default. I wonder what criteria are used to determine what rack your non-SC car gets? Roll the dice? Looks like LR are the prime candidate for some management consulting.. Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #10215 Thu Jan 12 2006 1:38pm
Roland

Switzerland 

Shmoogle, couldn't agree more! I have owned five new LRs over the years and not one of the cars ever arrived with the exact specs as ordered.

For people like most of us visiting this forum who know exactly what specs they want on their cars this can be quite worrying and the thing about it is that the small print in the contract leaves you with no other option but to accept what is delivered.

Sometimes you get nice surprises tough: My previous Discovery S spec was ordered with a standard stereo and tape deck but has arrived with a CD player plus 6 disks CD-changer and a Center diff lock for free !!

Roland

Post #10273 Thu Jan 12 2006 7:26pm
Persuader

United Kingdom 

Roland wrote:
Hi Martin

Have just discussed this matter with my dealer yesterday and it was confirmed that 20" wheels cannot (should not) be used on a TDV6 without also having a new steering rack fitted, which alone would cost about CHF 4000 (~UK£ 2500) !!!!

I am getting pretty confused now and need reliable advice from you experts.

Thanks,
Roland

I have 20" wheels fitted to mine with a non-damped existing steering rack and the car has been absolutely fine over the last 4000miles. An 1" diameter wheel is not going to adversely affect things. I'm positive we have had a long thread on this subject before.

A quote from the thread referred to in the first post of this thread.

"He did also mention that he has done a few tire upgrades and has yet to hear a complaint." 2013 New Range Rover Sport HSE SDV6
2008 Audi Q7 4.2 TDI
2006 Toyota Vigo Truck 3.0D4D.

Post #10283 Thu Jan 12 2006 11:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Roland

Switzerland 

so there's still hope then !

Roland

Post #10294 Fri Jan 13 2006 6:50am
acole10000

United States 2010 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I now have 4,000 miles on the RRS and have complained from day one about vibration on the front end and to date I have been to 2 different local tire shops to have the rims balanced and nothing has worked.

The answer is here.....

My local LR center is brand new and they have just installed the Hunter Road Force Tire Balance System, it vastly differs from balancing of yesteryear. Buy using a lot of cosmic calculations they are able to produce a perfect vibration free wheel and use a lot less weights.

I asked that they remove all clip-on weights and use the inside sticky-ones on all tires, this forced them to road force balance each of the 4 tires.

She Rides Like a Different Truck - Perfect, Silky Smooth and Vibration Free

Below is the link to Hunter, they have a great video and a link to locate one of thse bad boys to get your tires taken care of. It is worth the effort.
Hunter
http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/index.htm
http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/4159T/index.htm
Locator
http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/balancer/index.htm

Post #10381 Sat Jan 14 2006 12:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12