RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Vibration on front wheels if i upgrade to 20's TDV6 2005
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

rrsport2005

2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Atacama Sand
Vibration on front wheels if i upgrade to 20's TDV6 2005

Is it true that i may get vibrations if o upgrade my 2005 TDV6 front wheels to 20's ?? GO THE SPORT

Post #146523 Mon Nov 26 2007 12:51pm
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

I've never heard of anyone complaining of this before. As long as the wheels are balanced properly you should be ok.

Some people have said that they have noticed a drop in ride comfort though, not as much rubber to cushion the bumps. Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #146534 Mon Nov 26 2007 3:19pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

We haven't heard of this for a long time, but it might be to do with the damped/undamped steering racks that were being fitted back in 2005. If you search the site for "steering rack" - you should be able to find the relevant info. Warranty job so no need for panic Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #146536 Mon Nov 26 2007 3:32pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

I notice your's is a 2005 model.. it just might be one of the earlier ones without the 'dampened' steering racks. They gave alot of trouble, especially to those upgrading to 20's.

MDP posted the drawings and you could check if you have the 'dampened' steering racks or not..

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...dAsset.jpg

"A" is the non-dampened and "B" is the dampened.

And this is where you check..

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...Asset2.jpg Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #146617 Tue Nov 27 2007 2:58pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

There is an ancient TSB about this, see below. Based on my experience (I often run on 21" aftermarket rims, with a non-damped steering rack and without the slightest vibration, and I am not the only one...), the TSB is a bunch of baloney and it was LR's early attempt to brush off some steering vibration complaints, which people eventually kept experiencing even on cars fitted with damped steering racks, regardless of rim size. However, the TSB means that, if your steering does vibrate and you have non-damped gear, which is likely if you have an early build RRS, your dealer doesn't have to do a thing about it, he will just hand you a copy of the bulletin and send you on your way. Sad

Quote:

Technical Bulletin
No: LS204 001
Issue: 2
Date: 08 Sep 2005

20-inch Wheel Installation Limitations
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
Range Rover Sport (LS) 6A900505 to 6A917472
Vehicles built with 18 or 19-inch wheels
CONDITION SUMMARY:
SOME STEERING RACK CONFIGURATIONS LIMIT WHEEL OPTIONS
Situation: 20-inch wheels installed on a vehicle originally built with smaller wheel sizes (18 inch or
19 inch), may lead to customer concern of steering shimmy and steering 'pull' under heavy braking if
the vehicle is not equipped with a "damped" steering rack. 20-inch road wheels can only be installed
to vehicles that are equipped with a damped steering rack. Some non-supercharged vehicles do not
have a damped rack.
Action: Should a customer request a 20-inch wheel installation, refer to the Service Information
detailed in this bulletin and inspect to ensure that installation of the 20-inch wheels is possible if the
vehicle was manufactured prior to VIN 6A917472.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
INSPECT STEERING RACK PRIOR TO 20-INCH
WHEEL INSTALLATION
NOTE: Range Rover Sport vehicles have
been manufactured with two types of steering
rack, damped and non-damped.
• Vehicles manufactured with 20 inch wheels as original equipment are built with a damped steering rack.
• Vehicles manufactured with 18 and 19 inch wheels may have either a damped or nondamped steering rack.

CAUTION: 20 inch wheels may only be installed to vehicles with a damped steering rack.

1. If 20 inch wheels are to be installed to a vehicle prior to the safe VIN that was not manufactured
with 20 inch wheels, inspect the vehicle to determine if it has a damped steering rack.
2. Refer to Figure 1 for assistance in identifying the two rack types:
• Illustration A depicts a non-damped steering rack with steering fluid pipes entering the rack perpendicular to the rack housing
• Illustration B depicts a damped steering rack with steering fluid pipes entering the rack parallel to the housing through cast bosses the housing body.
3. Inspect the steering rack configuration from the wheel arch area to determine if it is a "damped" type. (Figure 2)

The bulletin illustrations referred to are the same ones that Bobby linked above. 

Post #146655 Wed Nov 28 2007 7:21am
McBunny

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Hi all,

sorry to bring such an old thread up but I didn't want to open a new one since there are already a lot of them about this topic:

Does anybody know if this may also happen in 2006 RRS resp. until when Land Rover built RRSs with the non-damped steering rack? Question

I read somewhere that 2007 RRS are not affected anymore but no info so far about 2006. I search for a used RRS TDV6 of 2006 (first registered in 06, is there a way I can tell from outside if it was built as a 2005 or as a 2006?) and almost all of them have 19 inch wheels fitted. I want to buy 20 inch wheels for the car but obviously I don't want to buy a car to sell after a few weeks because no 20" can be fitted on it. Rolling Eyes Wink
So apart from looking "under" the car (which is something I will do when testdrive any RRS) is there another way you can tell whether there must be a damped steering, e.g. "the car was built in 2006" or whatever?

Thanks a lot!

Post #195691 Tue Nov 11 2008 2:26pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

had 19 inch standard on our 04/2006 and have 20 inch Stormers since 1,5 years - its just a little bit more firm with the 20 inch that's all Smile

Keine Angst ist alles im grünen Bereich... 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #195694 Tue Nov 11 2008 2:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
McBunny

That's exactly the same firt reg as one car I was acutally offered this morning which does look good (except from the standard wheels which I am going to change immediately if I will take this car Wink ). Smile

Do you know if you have the damped or the non-damped steering (as shown on the pics above)?

If I understand the hundreds of threads correctly it was more a thing of beeing lucky or unlucky than anything else whether you did or did not get the damped steering rack when ordering a non-sc in 2005. Has it been the same in 2006 or is there any point of time from when on they only fitted damped steering racks?

I guess this is not a warranty work, is it? Sad Wink

PS: You could sell me yours, your wife can now drive the Traffic... Whistle Laughing

Post #195705 Tue Nov 11 2008 3:06pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

i have no clue...

and as for our car - we will give it back in april 2010 to the Cologne dealer..... (talk to him then) Laughing we just rent cars Smile 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #195711 Tue Nov 11 2008 3:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
McBunny

So no one knows? Sad
Okay, then I'll have to check that myself. Wink

But what do I do if the really great car I am going to watch the day after tomorrow does not have damped steering? Shocked Well, it could work without damped steering... I do want that car so much, it just MUST work without damped steering if it doesn't have some. Big Cry

I just belive that it usually works without damped steering and could just possibly in very rare cases cause problems. Perhaps believing that helps... Whistle

Post #195865 Wed Nov 12 2008 6:49pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Ive just put 20"SC wheels on my 2005 RRS and removed the 19" wheels with no problems.
And did the diagnostics to tell the cars ecus it now has a dirrerent size tyre on Smile

Ive not looked for the rack but to be honest it still drives fine so i aint worried.

Regards Pete 

Post #196092 Fri Nov 14 2008 12:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1