RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Bluetooth Factory Kit Install ( HHHEEELLPP )
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

wozzer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver
Bluetooth Factory Kit Install ( HHHEEELLPP )

please can anybody help ??
this is my first post and have searched the forum frantically.
i resently bought the factory bluetooth kit for my rrs it came complete and just had it installed by local ice dealer, the only thing they never fitted was the stearing wheel function because they would have had to take the stearing wheel of and airbag and they got a bit twitchy.
does anybody know if it will still work i presummed it would work without because you could control it from the touch screen but as usual i still cannot pair my phone i have a t mobile mda.
there is nothing on the sreen.
i bought the kit from rover.co.uk.

can anybody please help Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #145734 Mon Nov 19 2007 7:53pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Wozzer, welcome to the forums.

I think it may not be your Bluetooth kit, IIRC there have been problems getting PDA type smartphones to connect to the LR system. Do you have a conventional type mobile phone with B/T that you could try it with?

You also don't need the steering wheel keys as you can use the menu on the radio if you press the phone switch and then the menu switch and use the radio keypad to dail 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #145736 Mon Nov 19 2007 7:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

First of all, is this really the factory PTI module, or is it the dealer installed Bluetooth kit accessory? If I am not mistaken, unlike the factory PTI system the BT kit accessory does NOT interface with the radio keypad, so you will need the steering wheel control to send/receive and end a call without using your handset. If the dealer retrofitted the factory PTI system (I would be surprised, but I guess it's possible), then as Tim mentioned the paddles on the wheel are merely duplicates of what's on the radio head unit and you can do without them, although they are convenient. Unlike the FFRR, neither systems work via touchscreen by the way, but the factory PTI interfaces with the LCD on the radio unit (along with numeric keypad, send and end buttons), in addition to the send/end paddle on the steering wheel.

PS: If they installed the factory PTI system, you should also have a receptacle for a phone cradle under your center armrest that was't there before. The dealer accessory is BT only, no cradle. I was trying to access the web site you mentioned, rover.co.uk, but apparently you need an ID and password...

PPS: Removing steering wheel and airbag takes about 5 minutes, if you know what you are doing and have the proper airbag removal tool. I am not sure that installer you used knew what he was doing. 

Post #145746 Mon Nov 19 2007 10:28pm
Tim in Scotland

Umberto, the latest LR PTI doesn't have a cradle holder under the lid of the cooler box. They are using a Freelander2/LR2 system now which won't charge your phone and doesn't require a cradle. I have the old system on my 3 week old Tdv8 HSE, but MY 2008.5 doesn't have it. I cannot get a cradle for my Motorola V3i so the ub=nder cubby lid unit is useless to me! The Bluetooth works well with my Blackberry 8100 but sometimes I have to switch off and restart my Motorola as it's bluetooth only likes to be pair/repaired 3 or 4 times before locking up. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #145749 Mon Nov 19 2007 11:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wozzer

this is the ebay number from roveractive ( sorry i posted the wrong ebayer )
eBay Item No. 170161605659

please can you look at this.

this is the kit i had fitted today

also do land rover have to syncronize this or should it be plug and play just like it says.

many thanks

Post #145751 Mon Nov 19 2007 11:34pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

one thing I did notice at the weekend was that my Nokia 6230i would pair with any vacant RRS as I walked past it without any prompting from me. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #145752 Mon Nov 19 2007 11:42pm
wozzer

another ebay link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-Rover-...QQtcZphoto

Post #145753 Mon Nov 19 2007 11:43pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

That's a BT retrofit kit (dealer accessory). I think you will definitely need those paddles on the steering wheel installed to make it work as advertised, but someone here with the same accessory can probably chime in. I am almost sure the number keypad on the head unit will not work to dial numbers though, and the radio LCD won't show call status as it does with the factory PTI, either. But you should be able to dial and store numbers using the voice recognition system. I assume the procedure to pair the phone to the car would be the same as with PTI: Use your cell phone to discover Bluetooth devices, when "Land Rover" appears on the cell phone display as an available BT device, select it and enter access code 2121 (this you only need to do once.) The phone should display "Land Rover connections successful, pair devices?", or something similar. Press Yes and you should be ready to go. Anyway, the thing came with a manual, no? I see it in the eBay auction picture. Smile 

Post #145754 Mon Nov 19 2007 11:55pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Umbertob is right, this is a retrofit kit and its only Bluetooth, nothing else. I believe its called the "Telephone Kit, VUB501151". As far as I know, the PTI module is only fitted at the factory - its not for sale as an accessory and cannot be fitted by the dealer.

This Bluetooth kit will not interface with anything in your car except the radio speaker system. Unlike the PTI, connection is just pairing your phone with the car - FORD will appear when you search and you just accept it.. Any phone with Bluetooth capabilities will work. Once its connected, your radio will go silent (provided its on at that time!) the minute you start dialling your phone. You will hear the other party's voice over the speakers. And you speak via a microphone cleverly hidden in the housing of the overhead interior lamps. This is actually a very expensive Bluetooth handsfree kit, thats all. Smile

You use the steering paddles to save frequently called numbers but they are a bitch to use! Evil or Very Mad
You cannot use the radio keypad. Sad Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #145756 Tue Nov 20 2007 12:35am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Seems like your Ebay seller has not been entirely truthful with his description, Wozzer. Shame you have had it fitted, because as it stands it's pretty useless without the steering wheel controls.

With the benefit of hindsight, it would have been worth buying a Parrot Smile 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #145760 Tue Nov 20 2007 9:06am
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

See the info here for information about removing the airbag to fit the switch pack: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic3843.ht...ring+wheel Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #145762 Tue Nov 20 2007 9:15am
Tim in Scotland

I can highly recommend the Parrot handsfree system which if installed by a Land Rover technician will also be integrated into the ICE volume when you make or receive calls and it seems to have no problems reading phones AND their sim cards, unlike the LR system. Thers even a £50 clip on the sunvisor job that is pretty good but doesn't have the functionality of the full install version. I have one of those in my Defender90.
The installed one is £150-£190 and if you get it at Halfords they will install it too (if you trust a Halfords fiter to take your RRS to bits!) 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #145776 Tue Nov 20 2007 10:25am
wozzer

ok guys you,ve gota help iam now completly P----D off.
as per posts i still have not fitted the steering wheel controls but convinced that it will not really need yet, but i have tried so many phones and still cannot get it to connect/pair.

anybody have any ideas it would be much appreciated, or have i just got a stupid ice installer that has not installed all the kit incorrectly, how hard could it be.

thanks Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #146801 Fri Nov 30 2007 12:08am
wiggs

United Kingdom 

The kit will not work untill you fit the steering wheel controls ...

The job is very easy , you do not have to remove the steering wheel , just release the airbag , tuck it on top of the steering wheel.(you dont even have to disconnect it)

Unplug the old steering wheel control , cut out the section for the new switch , and replace with the new one.

Push airbag back in place.

You are never going to get it to work without the switches ...i have fitted 2 of these kits and the switch is the easiest part.

You may have other problems , but untill you complete the circuit you never gonna find out ..

Hope this helps

Oh ..and as said in an earier post ..you cannot dial out from the screen on the stereo ..and no numbers come up either ...it just says "phone " when your in a call ...

Post #149273 Fri Dec 21 2007 1:53am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Surely the unit came with the installation instructions, no? Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #149274 Fri Dec 21 2007 7:45am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>