RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > New 18" rim for RRS fitted w/ Brembo brakes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White
New 18" rim for RRS fitted w/ Brembo brakes

Linking the thread below from rr.net. A UK company now manufactures a strong 18" rim - originally designed for the Bowler Nemesis - with fitment for Brembo-equipped Range Rover Sport (S/C, TDV8, other trims w/ Dynamic Package.) They even have a US distributor, yeah! Very Happy

http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19909

Trickle down economics... Sometimes they work! Wink 

Post #144310 Mon Nov 05 2007 9:45pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Cheers for that Umbertob, Compomotive are one of the best wheel makers in the UK! I have doubts about the good taste of fitting white or gold wheels to an RRS though! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #144315 Mon Nov 05 2007 10:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andrewjakovac

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

Anyone know if they have come up with an official (as opposed to a backyard fix - like mine!) for the steel block issue??

See: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic6515.html

Because I very much doubt that the wheel will fit over the blocks... You see, regardless of the blocks or not (i.e. if you take them off completely), an 18" wheel only JUST clears the brakes - let alone hald an inch protusion from the caliper by the blocks... For example, the balance weights on my 18" wheels just touch the calipers sometimes... RR-Sport SC - Sunroof,Towbar,PTI,Tint,Elect Rust Mgt

Post #144495 Wed Nov 07 2007 4:30pm
Tim in Scotland

andrew I asked Compomotive yesterday and their reply is on another post here, but basically they say no problem, the bowler they were developed for is the Nemisis which is based on the running gear of an RRS S/C. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #144498 Wed Nov 07 2007 4:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
andrewjakovac

Australia 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey

I like your enthusiasim, and I don't want to dampen it at all - but given that 18" is the constant here (and mine are 18" as well), I really think that the bolwler would have more sophisticated modifications than the standard RRS - more specifically, I believe that bowler would have made blocks that are flush with the caliper... (which is what LR should havd done in the first place)... you see, when I take my blocks off (which protrude from the calipers almost an inch), the 18" wheels almost scrape the caliper (5mm clearance max).. Which is why I genuinely believe that's the only way you will get 18" around the stupid blocks... I stand to be correted though.. Smile Keep me in the loop.. Smile RR-Sport SC - Sunroof,Towbar,PTI,Tint,Elect Rust Mgt

Post #144503 Wed Nov 07 2007 4:47pm
umbertob

I got the same positive response from Comp's distributor here in North America, they claim this wheel will fit over the RRS front Brembo brakes without problems. I think a forum member over on rr.net is placing an order for a set, so we'll get confirmation soon enough. Smile 

Post #144509 Wed Nov 07 2007 5:05pm
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Andrew I looked for this block you speak of but never seen it on my RRS, the owner of the tyre shop also had a look but never seen one on my car either. The 19" LR split 5 spoke wheels only just fit over the caliper with about 5mm of clearance, certainly I could not get my little finger between the caliper and the wheel. Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #144518 Wed Nov 07 2007 6:21pm
umbertob

The first forum members on rr.net got these 18" rims installed on his Brembo equipped S/C today, thought I would cross link here for anyone else interested in these babies. And he got BFG AT KOs to boot... I am almost jealous. Check that, I am 100% jealous. Twisted Evil

http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21546 

Post #150548 Fri Jan 04 2008 11:22pm
umbertob

I can't find the thread on the forums here where someone was asking for pictures of installed 18" Comps on a S/C Sport fitted w/ Brembos, since the ones in the thread linked above are no longer available. A member of rangerovers.net in the US emailed me the pictures of his Compomotive rims below today (tires are BFG AT T/A KO 265/65/18s), here we go:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  

Post #186485 Wed Sep 03 2008 7:13am
Tim in Scotland

The Compomotives look good in the dark finish................... having run a set of BFG AT/KO's on my D90 for 62000 miles that's the brand I would also go for purely for the longevity of the tyres. I'm now running it on BFG MTR's and find they run more quietly on the road than the AT's but doubt they will last as long as they are not really designed for on road use, but I cannot be bothered to keep changing my tyres and wheels to get to and from offroad events. A set of 18" AT's on the PD1800's would make a good compromise of winter and occassional offroad use. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #186507 Wed Sep 03 2008 10:35am
Tim in Scotland

I emailed Compomotive this morning about the PD1800 and received this reply

Quote:
Thank you for your enquiry & we can manufacture 8x18 PD in the correct offset to suit the Range Rover sport. However unfortunately we have been told by Bowler who fit the wheels to their Nemesis that there is a brake fitting problem on the Range Rover Sport ROAD spec cars & the only way it can be solved is to take off the anti phonic dampers from the caliper… however you will then experience ‘screaching’ noises & the car becomes undriveable. So sorry unless you know of a solution for this problem it is probably best if we do not supply you with these wheels.

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Maybe cottonwool in the ears would be a solution to the screaching, or pretend that it is really only the EPB binding Rolling with laughter 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #186581 Wed Sep 03 2008 6:10pm
Leo

Kenya 

Hi Tim,
You don't need to remove the 'anti-phonic damper' - a fancy name for a piece of alloy held on by 1 or 2 allen bolts. Turning it around provides sufficient clearance for the rims, as Umberto's pictures show. Turning it around doesn't affect its function and there won't be any squealing or screeching from the brakes.

Thumbs Up

Post #186605 Wed Sep 03 2008 8:04pm
Tim in Scotland

Here's an offer from Compomotive received this morning:

Are there enough folks out there for a bulkbuy of PD1800 wheels?

Quote:
Hi Tim
We sold the set of 18” PD1880 to our dealer in the USA before Bowler told us about the problem with the brakes, so obviously he has made some mods to make these fit & he is happy

We are happy to manufacture the PD1880 8x18 suitable for the Range Rover Sport as long as people know they will have to make modifications to make the wheels fit. As you can imagine some people would not want to make mods & we would not want to sell wheels to these people as they are going to complain they do not fit.

If you are interested we could do a group buy where you would need minimum 20 people to buy 4 wheels each & we could replace the Bowler logo with something like RRS. We could then offer these 80 wheels at a special price. We are just doing the same sort of thing with the VX220.org.uk owners who have purchased 130 wheels.

Could we must 20 folks between us and D3 to buy these do you think? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #186696 Thu Sep 04 2008 9:54am
Steve in germany

Germany 

Did he mention a price? Speed Limits! not where I live!

Back in a D3

Did have: RRS TDV8 2008.5MY
Did have: Q7 3.0TDi S-Line/Tech/Comms pack
Did Have: Disco3 HSE

Post #186705 Thu Sep 04 2008 10:02am
Tim in Scotland

No, Stephanie didn't you want to ask or me? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #186714 Thu Sep 04 2008 10:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>