Home > General > Tyre life?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

GMH

United Kingdom 
Tyre life?

Smile
Hi All,

Thinking of changing from our current M3 to a RRS early next year. After spending £900 on tyres every 12-14,000 miles, I just wondered how long they last on the petrol and diesel RRS and if the prices are comparable with the M3.

Have any of you come from a performance car to a diesel RRS? Can you live with the change in performance even though it drives completely differently.
Thanks,

Post #6609 Thu Dec 01 2005 3:44pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I don't think anybody has had their RRS long enough to find out, they were only launched in June. My experience with Discos, Defenders and a current model Range Rover has been that if you don't get 40-50000 miles from a set of tyres you are not trying hard enough! The last tyres I bought were for my Defender and the old ones had 58000miles on them and still had 5-6mm left they had 15mm when they were new.
My RRS has only done 5000 miles and so far I haven't noticed any appreciable wear. 4 Wheel drive cars don't wear tyres out as rapidly as 2WD cars as it is usually very difficult to spin the wheels on a good road surface, unlike powerful 2WD cars - also 4WD SUVs tend not to be driven as hard - fast yes, but getting 2.7 tonnes away from the lights rapidly isn't that easy! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu Dec 01 2005 3:58pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #6611 Thu Dec 01 2005 3:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Thinking of changing from our current M3 to a RRS early next year

You will not regret it! Razz 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #6614 Thu Dec 01 2005 3:58pm
Tim in Scotland

There are quite a few ex RS4, X5, M3 and M5 owners on this site so you are talking to the converted here! Not many ex Cayenne owners though. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #6615 Thu Dec 01 2005 4:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GMH

United Kingdom 

40-50,000 miles sounds good to me.
I looked at a post from Jun and which means you can get a RRS extremely quickly. Not the normal waiting list.

The site is:
http://www.autoworldprestige.com/range_rover/new_diesel_01.htm

Has any one used this site for buying one?
The prices look fine and I noted that a couple of the HSE had extra's like phone hook-up, cooler fridge and other small items included but for no more money than the basic £44,500.
Was it all as easy as it sounds?

Thanks,

Post #6619 Thu Dec 01 2005 4:11pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

GMH,

I came from an E39 M5 to the RRS Supercharged. I needed to get a 4WD as I do quite a bit of shooting and lead an outdoor lifestlye, but I wanted something with decent performance. I was less bothered by fuel economy.

I test drove a full size Range Rover in both engines guises, 3.0 TD6 and 4.4 V8 petrol and was prepared for a compromise, and I didn't want to go for an X5, ML or Porky Pig really, as I needed proper 4WD ability.

The SC Sport is brilliant however. Being the type of car it is, your driving style changes to suit it, but you can put your fooot down and the smooth V8 just purrs and whines along. It's a real buzz. It's quick when you need it to be.

We all have some niggles, you can read them all on this forum, but it is a brand new model and you come to expect a few problems. Overall though, it comes HIGHLY recommended.

Do it. Laughing L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #6622 Thu Dec 01 2005 4:39pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Thats a pretty big change in vehicle type so I guess you have a good reason for making it. I took the diesel out for a test drive & was very pleasently surprised. Sure it felt a bit sluggish away from stationary, but once on the move I thought it felt pretty good such a big vehicle & diesel to boot. It handled fairly well for a big car too no excessive roll.

It convinced me anyhow. best way is to drive one & see HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #6626 Thu Dec 01 2005 5:08pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 
Re: Tyre life?

GMH wrote:
Smile
Hi All,

Thinking of changing from our current M3 to a RRS early next year. After spending £900 on tyres every 12-14,000 miles, I just wondered how long they last on the petrol and diesel RRS and if the prices are comparable with the M3.

Have any of you come from a performance car to a diesel RRS? Can you live with the change in performance even though it drives completely differently.
Thanks,

I'm an ex-M3 owner and made the change really because of new offspring and the need to carry about 15 tons of his gubbins around with us. I did test drive the usual suspects before plumping for the diesel RRS - Cayennes, X5s and an XC90. The Cayenne performed well but I was disappointed by its interior trim and the fact you have to shield your eyes every time you look at it. The X5 drove well too but the spec is very pool without spending 1000s on extras). The XC90 disappointed me in several ways - not least of all that they are the school-run vehicle of choice in my locality and all driven by Mum's who don't seem to be aware of their size. Overall, I took the RRS out - loved the way it looked, loved it's space, was not TOO disappointed with the performance and bingo, next thing I know one is on my drive.

Obviously you won't be grinning like a cheshire cat every time you've been for a blast through the twisties in it like you do when you get out of your M3, but really the handling is excellent for such a large car. Your M3 gets to 60 in half the time that the diesel RRS takes, but it's surprising how quickly you get used to rolling about rather than screaming about everywhere. In an ideal world, I'd have the diesel RRS for the practical side of me and would have kept the M3 for when I am out and about on my own. If you get one, lots of people here will confirm that you won't be disappointed!

Good luck! Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #6631 Thu Dec 01 2005 5:43pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Hi Gmh,

It was me who posted the link earlier to the http://www.autoworldprestige.com/range_rover/new_diesel_01.htm site, it would appear you just pay approx £500 premium for them to locate a car to your spec that is sitting there ready to go. If it was me I would be very tempted ( rather than enduring a huge wait ) Or shop around yourself, the cars are obviously out there - just phone round the dealers one by one or have a look in the sunday times.

I went from S4 to the supercharged - but have driven the V6d - it is very good.

As for tyre wear Confused S4 needed new set after 9500miles Crying or Very sad

I dont think I'll be needing a set for the Sport so soon.

But I bet a set is approx £800

£217.20 Continental-Tyres 4x4 SportContact 275/40 R20

But I have friends in the trade & would expect to pay only half this. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #6632 Thu Dec 01 2005 5:43pm
Tim in Scotland

Martin that's an interesting website, is this where you got yours?
I'm surprised that they can locate so many when there is supposed to be a shortage of all models! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #6634 Thu Dec 01 2005 6:04pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

MDP wrote:

£217.20 Continental-Tyres 4x4 SportContact 275/40 R20

But I have friends in the trade & would expect to pay only half this.

Any friend of Martin's is a friend of mine  L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #6637 Thu Dec 01 2005 6:07pm
Tim in Scotland

I'm going into ATS tomorrow to collect my offroad tyres and will see what they what for a M+S tyre. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #6642 Thu Dec 01 2005 6:25pm
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

I'm not convinced that there is any shortage at all.....I got 2 RR Sport HSE's for a friend of mine within 3 days via the dealer network. Aint it funny what cash does when it's waived under the DP's nose Wink

Post #6646 Thu Dec 01 2005 6:37pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Agreed - for that lot to be charging you £500 to "find" you one is all easy money. I'm in the wrong business!! Mad 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #6648 Thu Dec 01 2005 6:48pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

It was funny when I was test driving & thinking of ordering back in August. After the test drive i enquired about a demonstrator & lead times, & it was no chance of a demonstrator, or cancelled order & maybe a February delivery.

Go in 2 days later with deposit & magically he had 2 coming available in the next couple of weeks, unfortunately neither were the colour & trim i was looking for, & being in no great hurry decided to wait for my spec to appear! HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #6649 Thu Dec 01 2005 6:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>