RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Sediment trap ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Working Dog

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Chawton White
Sediment trap ?

A mate who has a TDV6 is off the road at moment due to a suspect load of Diesel.

Basically the car lost power and torque and wouldn't rev past 2,000 rpm. Stopping the car and pulling over rectified the issue for a couple of kilometers and then the power loss came back. No warnings came up on the dash that I am aware of.

LR have sent the fuel away for testing, as they suspect water contamination in the fuel. If proven correct he is up for about $10K of repairs for new injectors, fuel pumps etc. The other annoyance is that he went out of his way to fuel up at a name brand service station with the supposed controls in place to ensure their fuel quality.

In all of my older more "agricultural" diesel cars - there is a sediment trap that is in place to trap stuff like water etc before it gets into the engine, and there is a warning on the dash that the sediment trap needs draining, so that you can pull over and take remedial action before you do any expensive damage.

Does anyone know if the RRS diesels have something similar or is there omething with these new High tech diesels that prevents this process happening. If that is the case it seems that we are really playing russian roullette every time we fill up? Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #139034 Sun Sep 23 2007 12:55am
Working Dog

News back from Land Rover. Water contamination in the fuel - $12,000 to fix!!!

There is a bit of discussion about petrol contamination in Diesel on the D3 site but no comments about the fuel filter systems and how they cope with water. LR had a sediment tank and water warning system on the D2's - seems like it has gone away on the D3' and the RRS. Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #139813 Fri Sep 28 2007 10:48pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

WD, have you had it confirmed that this no longer exists on the D3/RRS? Seems strange to me they would take it away if it serves such a purpose Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #139957 Mon Oct 01 2007 1:55pm
Working Dog

Hi Shmoogle

Seems a little strange to me as well. I am kind of doing this investigation by remote control, as I am still awaiting delivery on my new toy, hence me posting this question to the forum.

However, I have read the current Owners Manuals that are on the LR website and there is no mention that I could find of such a warning or alert system on the RSS. We had a close look at the visual alerts on a MY06 TDV6 and there didn't seem to be any possible flashing lights on dash as per my other cars and that was on the D2's

The only reason that I can think of is that for some reason with these new "high tech" Diesels that they cannot incorporate a sediment trap in the fuel line due the the pressures that they are running - even this doesn't make sense to me because the volumes of fuel passing through he lines is less than that of Old engines that had these sediment traps in place.

I can understand issues with putting petrol in Diesel cars and systems not coping with it, but water contamination even in minute amounts will occour due to condensation in the storages tanks at Service stations - diesel cars have had filtration systems in place in the form of sediment tanks to prevent damage to the engines, so I am curious from two points - whether there is a system in place to protect our RRS engines, and if there is, why it might have failed on my mates car and causes some very expense damage to a car that is only sox months old? Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #139990 Tue Oct 02 2007 12:35am
stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

WD, I just had my vehicle serviced and confirmed that the RRS has NO sediment trap. Trivett in Sydney have two of their own vehicles off the road because of engine damage from water in the fuel. They are discussing with LR ....

After finding this out I asked some questions of a very good non-LR, LR service guy in Canberra. Yes, he said that he too has had a few customers that have had this problem and has purchased the equipment to service and repair the injectors and pump after they have suffered damage.

I asked if a sediment trap could be fitted. Response was yes it can as the fuel pressure between the tank and the engine is only 7.5psi. He said that as an interim measure, if the vehicle ever lost power, hiccups etc, pull over and shut it down immediately and get it towed to the dealer. He also suggested a spare filter be carried as if necessary, a road side filter change is possible, though difficult, if I was in a very remote location.

I'm going to find out the filter change service interval and halve it as well.

Steve RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #141155 Thu Oct 11 2007 8:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Working Dog

Hi Steve,

I have done a few more hours of research on this one and have found out that the TDV6 does have a sediment trap as part of the standard fuel filter.

If you have a MY06 or earlier, this sediment trap has no alarms attached to it and it is drained as part of the recommended A and B service by LR. If the vehicle is used in "arduous" (as defined inthe handbook) conditions then the recommendation is that this trap is drained every 3,500 miles.

MY07 TDV6 and TDV8 all now include a revised filter and sediment trap that will send an alarm to the message centre warning of the immediate need to drain the excess water out. I haven't been able to determine if this can be retro-graded to MY06 models, but I am having another discussion with the dealers next week. Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #141166 Thu Oct 11 2007 8:58am
stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

Thanks mate.

Trivett provided the info... Censored . Mines' an 07. Please let me know how you get on next week. I'll crawl under mine on the weekend to see if there are any sensors/wires attached to the filter.

S RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #141178 Thu Oct 11 2007 9:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Working Dog

Steve,

That is the second LR technical person that I have heard that fitting a second fuel filter and sediment tank is both possible and "recommended". More in this later when I do some more research.

Update on the car that started this thread - when challenged as to why the sediment trap didn't work or the alarm didn't work - the dealer changed their story to fungus, and then when challenged on this, went to poor fuel quality.

The claim was that the local Service stations were adding heating oil to their diesel mix to prevent freezing during winter. This degraded the fuel quality to such an extent that it required the replacement of the injectors at only 16,000Kms!!

With a potential $12,000 repair bill every 16,000km this makes the RRS SC look remarkably economical Shocked Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #141273 Thu Oct 11 2007 10:41pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

This is interesting as I think my car has this problem. My RRS is currently waiting a a flush out. I'll let you know the outcome. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #141279 Fri Oct 12 2007 7:11am
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

You filled up more than the sediment trap!!! Laughing

Sorry... could not help it Bow down Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #141282 Fri Oct 12 2007 8:24am
KevinJM

Yugoslavia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Dealer wants to do same with mine, take tank off and flush out. hasn't said it's water contamination but just dirty fuel. Mine's an 05 MY so no bells and whistles on the message centre. To add insult to injury, the factory fitted sunroof now leaks and the driver side was soaking wet this morning No visible damage to roof seals which makes it even worse. RRS TDV6 (gone)
RRS TDV8 HSE(gone, burned out)
ML 320 CDI Airmatic

Post #141291 Fri Oct 12 2007 8:50am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

KevinJM wrote:
............ To add insult to injury, the factory fitted sunroof now leaks and the driver side was soaking wet this morning No visible damage to roof seals which makes it even worse.

Kevin, open the sunroof and check that the track drains are not blocked with a dead leaf, a spider's web or some other debris. This is usually the cause of a leaking sunroof on any car. I'm not familiar with the sunroof drains on the RRS but when my Freelander suffered this problem the dealer showed me what had happened. It is also possible that debris has travelled down the drain line in the A pillar in which case the dealer will have to unblock it as there is an airbag in there too! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #141294 Fri Oct 12 2007 8:57am
KevinJM

Thanks Tim, I'm off to have a look again now. Given the amount of water that came in I am amazed that there is no water staining on the overhead sections. A dry cloth pressed against it soaks all the water out almost instantly. I'll have a look around the drains and see what's to be seen. RRS TDV6 (gone)
ML 320 CDI Airmatic

Post #141334 Fri Oct 12 2007 10:07am
KevinJM

I've been there and back. The drain holes are clear as far as I can see and the whole area around them looks clear. However, the channels themselves are very small and a combination of parking on an incline (nose down and to the left) , torrential rain over the 14 hours the car was parked and the roof maybe not having full locked forward, may have simply allowed too much water to build up to get out the left hand drain. Or maybe I am too forgiving. Anyway, this the wrong thread so cheers. RRS TDV6 (gone)
ML 320 CDI Airmatic

Post #141336 Fri Oct 12 2007 10:28am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Where did you find a hill steep enough in Holland to have this experience Kevin? Mr. Green 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #141338 Fri Oct 12 2007 10:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>