RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > To Repaint or Not?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

1ton

To Repaint or Not?

I just got delivery of my RRS Vesuvius and noticed there was a ring about the size of an egg on my hood. I pointed this out to my dealer and they offerred to get the hood repainted. They told me a replacement hood comes unpainted and they would have to paint it anyways. My concerns of getting the repaint done is:

1) Color match - it may match now but what about a year from now?
2) Resale value

Do you think I should just live with it as is or repaint? Any advice is appreciated.

BTW - There was another paint issue on the roof. I think I will just have them spot paint that.

Post #6215 Mon Nov 28 2005 9:31pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

I would get it painted while you can. They can match paints very well now (I've just had the rear wing resprayed by a mobile fitter under a tent on the drive!).
As your car is new, the paint match should be fine. I'd get it done, while they are offering to do the work free of charge. You can then inspect it afterwards before accpeting the repair.
As far as effecting the value, I don't think this would. The job should be done to a standard that it wouldn't be noticeable anyway. Also if you have photos of the panel before the respray it would also show any buyer that there was no serious damage. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #6224 Mon Nov 28 2005 10:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I had to have my bonnet completely repainted after I had dent in it after 2 weeks ownership. Better to have these things done sooner than later while the paint on the whole car is still new, rather than later when it has aged, especially as you are in a sunny climate.

Get the bonnet done is my advice. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #6225 Mon Nov 28 2005 10:31pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I had the whole car repainted after my smash - it looks great, but then it would! Very Happy 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #6233 Tue Nov 29 2005 12:04am
MDP

United Kingdom 

What sort of paint blemish is it? Also, how on earth did you manage to spot a paint defect on the roof? Is it possible to put these paint defects on film for the forum ?

Cheer up .... its only a car ( as my parents have told me so many times ) Very Happy 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #6241 Tue Nov 29 2005 1:25am
1ton

MDP wrote:
What sort of paint blemish is it? Also, how on earth did you manage to spot a paint defect on the roof? Is it possible to put these paint defects on film for the forum ?

Cheer up .... its only a car ( as my parents have told me so many times ) Very Happy

Here is a couple of pics. I found the one on the bonnet/hood as soon as I got it in my garage. The one on the roof I saw when I washed the car.

Post #6248 Tue Nov 29 2005 3:09am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

These look very similar to the marks that someone posted about in the very early days of the forum and turned out to be shipping wax that had not been properly cleaned off in the prepping bay prior to delivery. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #6278 Tue Nov 29 2005 11:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
1ton

Shipping wax? Maybe on the second picture but the first picture (the hood/bonnet) is definitely not wax. I wish it were so.

Post #6294 Tue Nov 29 2005 1:33pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Im not so sure you know Confused

I had an area on the rear bumper/corner moulding , again looked like a definate paint problem/blemish....... I tried to polish it off/out... no good. Then after a few weeks and doing nothing about it ( wasnt so visual in certain light ) I was washing car in strong sunlight and it stood out like a sore thumb Sad .... I need to get this to the dealer it looks awfull.... but, lets try polish one more time......

So I really went to town this time, cant remember if I used Mer, McGuires,Turtle wax or Autoglym? But loads of elbow grease applied eventually I could see the large area affecred was getting smaller and smaller.... untill .. wow no mark at all. It was te protective shipping stuff they put on at the factory.

So try getting someone round to witness or help have a go trying to polish it out? 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #6309 Tue Nov 29 2005 3:52pm
l

Spain 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Nothing like a good polish Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing !!!!!!

I had a similar spot on my car and now it's gone. RRS TDV6 HSE BUCKINGHAM BLUE BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR RHODIUM TASMOD SILLS PARROT 3000 EVOLUTION WHITE SIDE REPEATERS RRPORT.CO.UK BROLLY & STICKER
HOW GOOD IS THIS CAR!!!!
8 YEARS AND STILL GETTING LOOKS

Post #6315 Tue Nov 29 2005 5:04pm
NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Hi

I had the exact same paint fault on my Java Black My dealer repainted the whole bonnet and replaced all the bonnet badges.

Spooky

all is well now and the paint match was 100%

Neil 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #6323 Tue Nov 29 2005 6:33pm
gribnau

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

I agree with Tim - I had MANY of these on my buckingham blue bonnet and one dealer said they needed to repaint it while my own dealer said that this can be buffed out - It occurs when the factory fixes a pain blemish and forgets to buff it in the factory - i would first insist that they have it professionally cleaned and buffed before repainting it.

After the pro cleaning and detailing, the bonnet was as new.

good luck. - Robert

2006 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Black Opal
2005 Porsche Carrera 997 - Artic Silver
2006 Range Rover Sport V8 - Buckingham Blue

Post #6325 Tue Nov 29 2005 6:53pm
1ton

I wish it were so for me. I do not use wax on my car, I use a poylmer. I have put 3 coats of poylmer on and it is still there. I took it to the dealer and they said I need to get it repainted.

NeilR, you had the exact same thing? The repaint was good? You are happy with it?

I really hope it all works out because I really LOVE the car.

Post #6328 Tue Nov 29 2005 8:07pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

We all hope it works out for you too, if you aren't happy with the paint then speed off to the dealer and get their professional view. You asked for advice and you've had plenty! Please don't take it that the wrong way but I cannot think how to say anyother way, I'm not meaning to sound a bit curt! Laughing Laughing
You paid a lot of money for your car, it should be PERFECT. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #6332 Tue Nov 29 2005 8:42pm
1ton

Tim,

I totally agree with you, that is what makes me a bit upset about it. I just hope they do a good job repainting. If it were any other color, I would just wait for a new one but I don't think I can get my hands on another Vesuvius any time soon.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Post #6353 Tue Nov 29 2005 10:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>