RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Darker tints? (was called 'my wife')
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

jabman

Darker tints? (was called 'my wife')

hi guys
my rrs is java black with alpaca beige interior and has light smoke tints all round (except front screen). i think it looks good however my wife thinks that darker tints would look 'meaner'.
what have you on your car?
if i go for darker tints how much will it cost?

Post #6204 Mon Nov 28 2005 8:14pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

can only give you prices I was quoted but for rear of B posts you are looking at £450 no matter what shade of tint, and another £100 for the front side windows - strictly illegal of course. Wink L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #6210 Mon Nov 28 2005 8:50pm
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

RRUK wrote:
can only give you prices I was quoted but for rear of B posts you are looking at £450 no matter what shade of tint, and another £100 for the front side windows - strictly illegal of course. Wink

So what is the legal position in respect of tinting the fronts?? I should have privacy glass coming with mine & the dealer had recommended getting the front side windows tinted too?? HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #6217 Mon Nov 28 2005 9:54pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Here is a link that sets out the legal situation in the UK. It comes from the Pentagon Window Tinters webpages.
http://www.pentagonglasstech.com/news_legal_update.asp

I have also added it to my gallery athttp://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/displayim...&pos=0 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #6218 Mon Nov 28 2005 10:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRUK

Rob_J wrote:
RRUK wrote:
can only give you prices I was quoted but for rear of B posts you are looking at £450 no matter what shade of tint, and another £100 for the front side windows - strictly illegal of course. Wink

So what is the legal position in respect of tinting the fronts?? I should have privacy glass coming with mine & the dealer had recommended getting the front side windows tinted too??

I'm surprised your dealer recommended getting the front sides done too, most will not say that due to the legalities of it. If yours is 'coming' with PG, surely it will be factory fit and therefore actual tinted glass rather than a film applied version (as I ended up with) The fronts would therefore have to be done by applying a film and may not match up well, who knows.?

I am having mine done this week in a very light smoke, apparently it is a 50% tint, and the legal limit is 70% i.e it should let IN 70% of the light. I am hoping mine will not attrack attention of Plod, but at least with a film applied, it CAN be removed if need be. Thought I'd go the whole hog as I have always wanted a car with tints, I like it mainly for the privacy factor rather than the gangster look. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #6226 Mon Nov 28 2005 10:36pm
Rob_J

RRUK wrote:
Rob_J wrote:
RRUK wrote:

So what is the legal position in respect of tinting the fronts?? I should have privacy glass coming with mine & the dealer had recommended getting the front side windows tinted too??

I'm surprised your dealer recommended getting the front sides done too, most will not say that due to the legalities of it. If yours is 'coming' with PG, surely it will be factory fit and therefore actual tinted glass rather than a film applied version (as I ended up with) The fronts would therefore have to be done by applying a film and may not match up well, who knows.?

Yeah he do mutter about the legalities of it. He'd said that they would not fit anything that was illegal however they could fit a tint on the front that would not be as strong as the back, but would tone down the transition from the rear PG to the front clear glass. Guess I'll take a looka t the car when/if it pitches up and look again at the tint they are talking about. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #6263 Tue Nov 29 2005 9:00am
RRUK

That's exactly what I had done on mine today, I had the fronts blended in so you can still see through them but they are obviously tinted further than from the factory.

When I get it out in the daylight for the first time in the morning I'll get a couple of pics on the site to show you what it looks like, before and after type of thing. L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #6518 Wed Nov 30 2005 11:49pm
RRUK

Here's a picture of the car after the front tints have been done.

Here's one from before:

Here's a side view after the new tint is on:

And here it was before:

L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #6564 Thu Dec 01 2005 12:55pm
Biggles

England 

Just as word of warning.
Recently I happened to be at a ministry of transport check point (cars, vans and HGV) whilst I was thier on official business I was asked how deep my front windows had been tinted. I replied they were not and that it was factory spec, none the less they still got out a light meter and checked the visible through put of sun light. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #6568 Thu Dec 01 2005 1:02pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

RRUK - is that the MRs falling asleep in the passenger seat? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #6570 Thu Dec 01 2005 1:14pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

I was to understand that NO tinting at all was permitted by law on any glass forward of the B pillar ?
Here is an extract taken from a web page : LINK http://www.4youngdrivers.com/pages/informa...inting.asp

Window Tints

As of January 1st 2004, new legislation was brought in that prohibits window tinting.

The Law:

You are not allowed to tint your windscreen or front windows AT ALL. Anything forward of the B pillar (middle of the car) MUST NOT be tinted in anyway. You are however still allowed to perform any level of tinting on your back windows.

If you've tinted you windows before January that does not mean that you are safe, if the police believe that your tint causes reduced visibility they can issue you with an order to have it removed.

Why was this law brought in?

The reason this law was introduced was that there was a serious accident between a motorbike and a heavily modified car with very dark tints. It was believed that the root cause of the accident was that the driver couldn't see well enough through his tinted windows.

But here is a Link to West Yorkshire Police on the matter which explains things in a different manner

It would appear that as long as 70% and above light is allowed to pass through the tint then it is OK

http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/section...mp;iid=872

Its so confusing Confused

But your car looks much better with them Cool

Ps what level of tint did you go for ?

Ppss just found a link to the Government body VOSA and the Law as it stands.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/m...=438eec496 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Last edited by MDP on Thu Dec 01 2005 1:43pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #6571 Thu Dec 01 2005 1:30pm
Rob_J

It does seem to be a grey area if you'll pardon the pun, but it definitely looks better. I've looked at a number of different sites on the subject & also get conflicting info. Still it's only a film, so I can get it removed if the plod really object. So it will be done next week. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #6573 Thu Dec 01 2005 1:42pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

I've just edited my last post as added this link from VOSA the goverment body in charge for this. It does confirm the 70% rating/thing.

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/publications/m...=438eec496 

Post #6574 Thu Dec 01 2005 1:45pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I'm sure there will always be the odd idiot who goes for a 90% tint on his front windows (if he can find someone to supply the film etc) and then finds he can't see out of the windows and has an unfortunate incident. As usual these minimal amount of incidents tars all other drivers with the same brush.

It's an assumed risk isn't it? Like travelling over 70mph, or having a number plate with a non-standard font or spacing... it may well be illegal but if you can get away with it then so be it. In fact, illegalities aside I think RRUKs car looks much better than it did before. I've often been of the opinion about my car too that it would look much better if the privacy glass ran forward of the B-pillar.... food for thought for me! Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #6575 Thu Dec 01 2005 1:47pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Same here.......... may poss go for the forward of B pillar tint as well

Once I am absolutely sure that anything above 70% light transmition is ok Cool 

Post #6578 Thu Dec 01 2005 2:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>