RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Big problems with 2.7 diesel engine
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

BBBB

Romania 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue
Big problems with 2.7 diesel engine

Last week as i was driving back home from work the car started to make a funny sound and to vibrate. After a few more km the car stopped and failed to start. The next day i had the car towed to the dealer and they had told me that i have a bad starter motor and they will change it --- so far so good because i was thinking the engine is broken. After 3 days in shop they phoned me and guess what ---- THE ENGINE IS DEAD. The shaft has broken and
damaged the entire engine. I'm out of warranty and they want to charge me 9000 euros for the engine repairs.
The car is a 2006 RRS 2.7 diesel engine with 120.000km on board. The funny thing is that they already had another car with the same problem at the dealer. Now i'm thinking this is a land rover's engine problem and they should repair it on warranty but the service manager doesn't want to hear anything like that Big Cry .
What do you think i should do? I live in Romania and here the customer care is poor.

Thank you
Sorry for my spelling errors.

Post #134266 Sun Aug 26 2007 1:00pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Hi BBBB,

Really sorry to hear about your probs. There are no engine problems like this in the UK (in my experience anyway), in fact my understanding is the 2.7TDV6 engine is very robust. As your dealer has experienced another vehicle with the same problem, could it be 'fuel' related in your area maybe? just a thought

Kaine

Post #134269 Sun Aug 26 2007 1:26pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 
Re: Big problems with 2.7 diesel engine

BBBB wrote:
Last week as i was driving back home from work the car started to make a funny sound and to vibrate. After a few more km the car stopped and failed to start. The next day i had the car towed to the dealer and they had told me that i have a bad starter motor and they will change it --- so far so good because i was thinking the engine is broken. After 3 days in shop they phoned me and guess what ---- THE ENGINE IS DEAD. The shaft has broken and
damaged the entire engine. I'm out of warranty and they want to charge me 9000 euros for the engine repairs.
The car is a 2006 RRS 2.7 diesel engine with 120.000km on board. The funny thing is that they already had another car with the same problem at the dealer. Now i'm thinking this is a land rover's engine problem and they should repair it on warranty but the service manager doesn't want to hear anything like that Big Cry .
What do you think i should do? I live in Romania and here the customer care is poor.

Thank you
Sorry for my spelling errors.

Why is it out of warranty? You should have 3 years no?

I would :-

1) Appeal to the dealer to ask LR for a goodwill gesture, given the engines young age.
2) Offer to buy another one soon, etc if they lower their costs.
3) Find a good mechanic and have it fixed elsewhere.

(Out of interest, has the engine been chipped?). 2022 P440e AB

Post #134271 Sun Aug 26 2007 1:34pm
BBBB

I asked them if there is any chance a bad fuel could cause that and they said that there is nothing i could do (bad fuel, agressive driving style, etc) to cause that. The engine has not been chipped. The warranty is 3 years or 100.000 km. The service manager won't ask anything LR because the car is out of warranty. Big Cry

Post #134367 Mon Aug 27 2007 9:06am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

BBBB wrote:
I asked them if there is any chance a bad fuel could cause that and they said that there is nothing i could do (bad fuel, agressive driving style, etc) to cause that. The engine has not been chipped. The warranty is 3 years or 100.000 km. The service manager won't ask anything LR because the car is out of warranty. Big Cry

Ask your dealer for a LR contact so that you can take it to them.
- That will either :-

a) Motivate the dealer to do something for you or
b) Allow you to complain direct about the engine and dealer.

Someone on this site may be able to give you the relevant manufacturer contacts. 2022 P440e AB

Post #134368 Mon Aug 27 2007 9:11am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

You have a PM 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #134370 Mon Aug 27 2007 9:13am
BBBB

Thank you all for your support.

Post #134373 Mon Aug 27 2007 9:22am
TB

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Arctic Frost

Sorry to hear your bad news BBBB.

Keep in touch and please lets us all know how you get on. Best of luck mate. Thumbs Up Arctic Frost TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Cherry Wood, Privacy Glass, PTI, Tow Pack, Mudflaps, Tasmods, a new Fuelflap, a RRSport.co.uk umbrella in the boot & a RRSport.co.uk sticker on the rear glass.

Some people accuse me of thinking the world revolves around me, but I'm not stupid . . . I know it revolves around the sun. Which shines out of my @rse!!!

Post #134519 Mon Aug 27 2007 9:10pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

That is not good BBBB Sad , i would of thought that L/R would have offered some sort of solution rather than leaving you high and dry, as TB said keep us posted.

Post #134557 Tue Aug 28 2007 7:58am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

This definitely needs to be escalated so a mutually agreeable solution can be found. Very bad luck though - you should be able to get there with the info that VA has probably sent you. Please let us know how you get on with it. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #134564 Tue Aug 28 2007 8:54am
clutchdust

Checked the oil recently?

The Tdv6 is a thirsty Censored when it comes to oil and modified piston rings were fitted to later models to reduce oil consumption.

I've replaced a few engines because owners don't check the oil between services. I no longer work for Stratstone land rover cardiff. Thank f**K!!!

Post #136239 Tue Sep 04 2007 7:28pm
Texstar

United Kingdom 

Clutchdust, are you saying that earlier TDV6's use lots of oil throughout their service lives, as I was under the impression it was only for the running in period, and mainly due to the oil initially soaking into the semi porous graphite block, with not that much getting past the piston rings? Any idea when they started fitting modified rings, in case I decide to update mine? (don't want to buy a lemon). Rolling Eyes Just as a matter of interest, in the cases where an owner has failed to keep the oil level correct, has LR stumped up for replacing engines, or have the owners had to fork out (loads I should imagine). Oh and BBBB, sorry to hear of your problem, shaft broken eh (crank or cam ?) sounds pretty terminal , I hope they get it sorted for you. Thumbs Up

Post #136257 Tue Sep 04 2007 8:12pm
BBBB

I don't think my problem has anything to do with the oil. My brother also has an RRS with the same mileage and no problem except that he changed his gearbox under warranty at 90.000 kms. We bought the cars in the same time, we use the same fuel, we changed the oil at the same dealer so if my engine is broken so should be his.
The dealer says that the crankshaft is broken + all the parts that were destroyed by it. The service manager told me today that they had contacted LR( Very Happy ) a few days ago and LR reply showed a big interest in this engine problem and it's possible to be inspected by LR engineers in the next few days Shocked .

Post #136335 Wed Sep 05 2007 5:54pm
BBBB

As soon as i'll get the pictures with the engine from my dealer i'll post them

Post #136336 Wed Sep 05 2007 5:56pm
Cliff H

United Kingdom 

Good luck, hope you get a favourable result Thumbs Up

Post #136337 Wed Sep 05 2007 6:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>