RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Tyres / HDC etc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Ronnie in the Midlands

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Tyres / HDC etc

Took my car in for 1st service, 1 yr old RRS HSE TDV6 with 20" alloys. Complained about tyre wear on outside of both front tyres. They checked the geometry today and said it's 1 degree out on passenger side and they needed a new "bolt" guess track rod or something because the one they were adjusting didn't want to adjust. Went to drive car home as they said ok to drive bring back Friday. Anyway as I drove out the steering wheel wasn't straight as I pulled away, there was a red light on the dasy which the service manager said would go out after a mile or two and then when I went around the roundabout the HDC went on. Took the car back, the SM drove it and then the HDC system faulty lights flashed at which point we took the car back and there it sits until they fix tomorrow. My concern is does this sound like a major issue or just a software fault and an easy geometry straighten up when they get the "bolt." They have also said they will try and get me two new Contis as the wear could be attributable to this geometry issue. Your view on the above please would be really appreciated. Thanks New RRS

Post #133064 Wed Aug 15 2007 9:14pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I would expect it's easily sorted but I'm not an expert. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #133065 Wed Aug 15 2007 9:17pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Hmm... odd.

Tyre wear has always been an issue for the RRS - sometimes attributable to alignment, sometimes not. I'd say you hold the cards as your dealer has immediately admitted that there's an alignment issue. As for the electronics problems you're now having - not sure what has happened there. I'm a mechanical numpty so I have no clue what is involved in doing what they did - but it seems at least that they're quite willing to resolve matters.

Keep us posted Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #133091 Thu Aug 16 2007 8:45am
SteveWilliams

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I can't help wondering what they have done to get the steering wheel off centre, I wouldn't have thought adjusting the tracking/geometry would have this affect. But I am no expert.

At least the service manager seems very helpful and you have got two new tyres out of them. Will be interesting to find out how quickly this gets resolved. Keep us updated.

Post #133101 Thu Aug 16 2007 9:02am
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Older Land Rover technicians faced with a bolt that wont shift, might have applied the "biggest hammer in the box" technique. ie brayed hell out of it until it submits. That might work on a Defender (or related Disc / RRC) but not on our highly strung, delicate and sensitive Sports. Sounds to me that they have bent something quite badly in the steering rack / front axle and / or taken a bite out of some important sensor. The result is both mechanical distress and "The Computer Says No".

Sounds like a clear case of a relatively minor tracking problem having been badly handled and resulted in several more problems. I'd be very careful to check the dealer does a proper fix and you get them to acknowledge that they have escalated the problems and are responsible for fixing anything related to that, both now and in the future. If you doubt their ability or willingness to do so, get another dealer or LR Technician on the case. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #133105 Thu Aug 16 2007 9:19am
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It sounds like a simple fix. When you move the front wheel alignment (tracking) if you only move one side more than the other the steering wheel is not centre. It will now be offset. This then moves the steering wheel angle sensor that checks the position of the steering wheel so the module is now seeing the steering wheel angles have moved and is no longer in the position it should be and is programmed to see. The bolt i would imagine would be one of the wishbone bolts because these move the Camber/Castor angle and are excentric. Once it goes back on the alignment gauges the tracking needs to be into spec but at the same time you need EXACTLY the same amount of threads on each track rod end, this controls the
TOOT - Toe Out On Turns. Once this is correct you then need to put the steering wheel straight in the straight ahead position. Next step is reprogramme the calibration of the steering wheel angle sensor on IDS.
This should put it all to bed.
Good luck. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Last edited by Nutty Nige on Fri Aug 17 2007 8:55am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #133257 Fri Aug 17 2007 8:53am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Simple Shocked Shocked Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #133258 Fri Aug 17 2007 8:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1