RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Chipsaway scratch/ dent repairs
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Chipsaway scratch/ dent repairs

Local man arrived at 0900 as he said adn is currently beavering away in his mobile workshop on my drive making up fillers and mixing paints. So far the only input from me has been to give access to my outside tap and hose and an electrical point.
By the way the local Landy Dealer wanted 50% more to repair the dent and scratches and also to respray the entire boot door, replace all the badges and logos - this guy has only wanted to take off the Land Rover green oval which he will replace with specail adhesive. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #5704 Thu Nov 24 2005 9:30am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

Post some pictures Tim, Before and after Question .
Hope it looks like new when he has finished. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #5712 Thu Nov 24 2005 10:02am
Tim in Scotland

The before pics are on another posting here http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578&start=0 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #5722 Thu Nov 24 2005 10:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

OK, it's 1240 and he's well into the job here is a pic with the filler in place and baking:[img][/img]

This is interesting, the guy doing the job has been in business for all of 3 weeks! He has been working every day since starting up and has a full diary for the next month.............. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #5739 Thu Nov 24 2005 1:13pm
Tim in Scotland

Interesting developement - he's at the repainting stage and it has started to snow hard................. so "could we put the car in the garage?" "Errrr um it won't fit says I it's too high and wide." " Oh no says the paint man I think it will fit through the door". So we have a go and lo and behold I have a car that can fit into the garage so long as the suspension is on access mode and the wing mirrors are folded, but unfortunately all the junk that was inside is now in the backgarden. So what to do with all the junk that has accumulated in the garage over the last 6 years? Deepfreeze, trailer, mountain bike, 2 wheelie bins,4 windsurfers, 6 masts etc etc 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu Nov 24 2005 2:08pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #5748 Thu Nov 24 2005 2:05pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Car boot sale? Or hide it away on your next trip and have it "accidentally" fall overboard? Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5750 Thu Nov 24 2005 2:08pm
Tim in Scotland

Oh good god no Shmoggle, I use it ALL, except for the mountainbike and I wouldn't want to get rid of that - I'm about to go for an industrial medical and I suspect I'm going to be told I need to get more exercise! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #5751 Thu Nov 24 2005 2:10pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

You have 2 choices either put the junk in your small boat or put it in the RRS! Displacement theory. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #5752 Thu Nov 24 2005 2:11pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Or hope it doesn't all get covered in snow in the next few hours then put it back in the garage when your RRS can go back outside again. Or, get a house with a bigger garage? Helpful ideas a speciality, me! Laughing 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5755 Thu Nov 24 2005 2:14pm
Tim in Scotland

All is not lost - my father has a huge shed where 10 HGV tractor units and their trailers used to be stored and I'm sure I could find a small corner there next to my Defender! Cool 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #5758 Thu Nov 24 2005 2:21pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

shmoogle wrote:
Car boot sale? Or hide it away on your next trip and have it "accidentally" fall overboard? Wink

Disturbingly apparently apart from things like oils, chemicals and batteries, a ship at sea can dump ANYTHING overboard. I saw a programme on Discovery and they literlly threw their rubbish bins over the side....

Is that right Tim?

Perhaps we could get the anti 4x4 brigade to focus their energies on that instead! L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5773 Thu Nov 24 2005 3:29pm
Tim in Scotland

RR, Discovery Channel have been seriously mis-informed and in fact the exact opposite is true and I, as Master, can be fined up to £250000 AND sent to prison for up to 15 years if convicted for anybody onboard throwing garbage overboard.There are let-outs though, we can throw biodegradables overboard provided the ship is more than 12 miles from land.
Oil, Plastics and waxed paper can never be dumped at sea as they take so long to degrade (if ever). The company I work for will not permit us to throw Glass, metal or paper that can be recycled overboard.
If paper and biodegradables cannot be thrown overboard then we have an incinerator that is approved by the authorities and we can burn stuff at temperatures in excess of 2500C so that even the PCB's in plastics are destroyed - and just to make sure, every time we carry out an incineration (daily and sometime twice daily) then samples of the ashes must be kept for analysis ashore to ensure that no plastic residues remain.
Now I would be the 1st to admit that not all shipping companies are the same as the one I work for. But we ALL have to comply with the same international rules (are MARPOL btw), and disposing of garbage from ships costs a fortune and is impossible in the USA (the biggest polluter in the world!!) as any garbage we land there has to be put into approved quarantine for 12 months before it can be taken to a recycleing plant! Same with oil (there are even harsher penalties for dumping that!). We are required to have an oily water seperator to skim any oil out of waste, we can only use it in approved areas when we are more than 25 miles from land, under way and the oil content must be less than 100parts per million........................
We also have to land all light bulbs and fluorescent tubes, batteries, used paint drums (paint is after all a plastic and also contains oil!),. These days we cannot even sell our old beer cans for scrap like we used to and have to pay to have them taken away!

The Marpol regs require that all ships keep records of garbage and oil waste produced and have certificates to prove that it was landed to approved reception facilities.
Seafarers are probably more environmentalty aware than any other group of people except treehuggers! The garbage you see on the beaches when you go on holiday invariably comes from the equivalent of "fly" tippers or from what the general public throws in the rubbish.

With regard to dumping oil at sea there is only one occassion when it is permitted and that is in the event of an emergency to preserve safety of life at sea.
There has recently been a legal precedent set in Germany when a ship that had gone aground dumped oil in the Baltic Sea to get off the bottom by lightening the ship, saving the lives of the crew. The German court ruled that had the ship not dumped oil then the conscequences of dumping it's cargo of concentrated acid into the ocean had the ship broken up would have been far worse than the relatively small quantity(2000 tonnes) of oil that was dumped and also contained by booms rigged round the ship! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu Nov 24 2005 4:41pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #5792 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:16pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Tim...use more paragraphs........MY Eyes!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Smile L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5794 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:19pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Informative as always Tim...... hows the repair 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5797 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:30pm
Tim in Scotland

Garbage rant over! Paint repairs:-
The Chipsaway guy completed at 3pm and has gone. The job is excellent and I can only see the shallowest of ripples in the rear door skin. The paint match is flawless (maybe because the paint is still new and very easy to get a good match). My pictures are not too good as the daylight is fading fast here but here you are:
Before:

After

Looking across the boot

In the 2nd photo there are some marks on the paint but that is where he lightly rubbed something into the finish on completion and can be washed off in a couple of days time. I must not run the car through a car wash or use a pressure washer for those 3 days as well but I wouldn't be doing that anyway in the present weather, this is to give the paint/ laquer the maximum time possible to harden even though he used an infrared heat source to harden it.
Some comments from the guy - if you have a chromaflair paint job then it cannot be repainted - infact if you have something like key damage to that sort of paintjob Chipsaway will not even look at it and most bodyshops cannot match that paint anyway so your insurance company will write off the car!
If you have a silver car Chipsaway are not happy to do any work on it as the metallic paint in silver is neigh on impossible to either match or get the flakes to lay in the paint in the same way as the original paint. The easiest cars for them to treat are white or solid red ones! And with regard to Giverny Green, I was lucky - Dupont have only formulated 2 shades of it for Land Rover, but if you have Java Black or Dark Metallic Blue then it is curtains for you - there are already 300 shades of Java Black, not counting faded, as it has been such a popular colour and they have had to make so many batches of it for LR, so it will be exceedingly difficult to obtain a perfect/ you cannot see the join shade match!! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Thu Nov 24 2005 4:46pm. Edited 3 times in total

Post #5798 Thu Nov 24 2005 4:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>