RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Washing ma baby................
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Washing ma baby................

I'm determined that this car will have minmal scratches on it so what do folks suggest for in service washing?
I gave up on my Karcher 80 for washing the car ages ago and only use it now for blasting mud out of the Defender's nooks and crannies.
I tried the new Flash system on the RR but it was no different to other methods and when the cartridge and shampoo was finished I refilled it with Zip wax.
LR factory uses Maguiers products to get that shine when the car is new, dealers use a hot jet wash with Autoglym.................

What I usually do is moderate pressure cold water rinse off, wash with soft brush attachment on the hose, warm water wash with Zipwax soap and sponge .... I have 10 litres of Zip wax to use up before I try anything else, but also have a gift pack of Maguiers products as well. Cold water rinse and then a Turtlewax squeegee thing to remove the beads of water afterward.

What washing products do you guys recommend?
After one week/ 600 miles of ownership and mainly miserable weather here, the car doesn't look at all dirty (Giverny Green hides the dirt better than I thought it would but closer inspection shows just how filthy it has got!).
The give away that it is dirty are the alloy wheels which have quite a lot of brake dust on them!

I am allergic to polishing cars too! Very Happy

Post #350 Thu Jun 16 2005 7:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renny

Scotland 
Washing product reviews

have a look at

http://www.pistonheads.com/reviews/products.asp?c=52 Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer

Post #373 Fri Jun 17 2005 1:47pm
Tim in Scotland

I've bookmarked it Renny, and which of the items do you use?

Post #380 Fri Jun 17 2005 3:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Swissol is the absolute dog's danglies. Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #383 Fri Jun 17 2005 4:27pm
Tim in Scotland

I would hope so too Martin!

Master Collection with «Onyx» wax
WGB73101 GB£ 331.00
Master Collection with «Saphir» wax
WGB73156 GB£ 360.00
Master Collection with «Smaragd» show wax
WGB73120 GB£ 411.00
Master Collection without wax
WGB73300 GB£ 292.00

I hope they supply a whole team of guys to wash it and do the job for you for £411........................ Laughing
I think a one week old wagon doesn't really need that much cleaning Laughing
Thanks all the same

Post #384 Fri Jun 17 2005 4:46pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

A kit will probably last you two or three years, and it really is excellent.

Autoglym will do the job, but it's not as good Wink

Anyway, don't want to start a big argument over the cost, was just a suggestion, and info for others Smile Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #385 Fri Jun 17 2005 4:49pm
Tim in Scotland

Last time I washed the L322 RR before taking it in, I used Maguiers Gold Glass and then polished it with their scratch remover, some Turtlewax coloured polish and then clear Gold Glass................. it was hard work, but the end result looked great.

Post #386 Fri Jun 17 2005 4:59pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White
Re: Washing ma baby................

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I'm determined that this car will have minmal scratches on it so what do folks suggest for in service washing?

Tim, since this is a new car and the painted surface must be in good condition, after a good wash just use "Meguiar's nxt generation TECH WAX". One of the easiest to apply waxes in the market today and, in our extreme weather, one of the best. Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #391 Sat Jun 18 2005 3:17am
Tim in Scotland

Bobby I washed it yesterday evening with nothing except lovely gentle Scottish Carron Reservoir water (the same stuff that supermarkets sell in litre bottles for about $4 a pop as Highland spring water for drinking. It comes out of my taps for just about free!), no soap, no polish just a hosing off all over, then a another go round with the softest brush attachment I have for my garden hose. Then I just chamoised the water spots off. I have found one advantage/ disadvantage - Giverny Green really hides the dirty well................. until you have washed it and can then see all the areas you have missed when washing it!

Post #392 Sat Jun 18 2005 8:47am
Biggles

England 

Tim, when mine eventually arrives, the only thing that looks a nightmare to clean is the front grill, when all the muck and flys are stuck in I would bet its hard work. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #412 Mon Jun 20 2005 8:17am
Tim in Scotland

Biggles wrote:
Tim, when mine eventually arrives, the only thing that looks a nightmare to clean is the front grill, when all the muck and flys are stuck in I would bet its hard work.

It wasn't a problem Biggles - I used the ordinary soft carwash brush and they all came off OK.

Post #431 Tue Jun 21 2005 10:08am
Biggles

England 

Just done the first wash and wax.
Used the flash system thats been advertised on tv, overall impressions I think its great if you follow the instructions, uses soap quite fast I think thier recommendation of three wash's for the amount they supply with the kit must be for a mini or some car that size.
After washing and leaving to dry for an hour not one spot could be seen on the surface.
Then onto the polish, I used Turtle wax platinum, very easy on and very easy of, taking care with the polish as I do not want any swirl marks on my Java Black car.
Minutes after finishing polishing it started to rain and I took the rain as good excuse (cant get enough of driving this car) to go out for another drive around, I always think its great when after a good polish you can see the water just flowing of the car. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1161 Mon Jul 25 2005 8:34am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Why is it that every time you want to clean a car the heavens open up?

Is he up there waiting for it or what?

This weekend drove me to despair, I was so angry..... L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #1178 Mon Jul 25 2005 12:45pm
Biggles

England 

Youre not wrong RRUK,
He missed me this time though. Very Happy Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #1182 Mon Jul 25 2005 1:18pm
Cedric

United Kingdom 

While the final result might not match some of the extensive/expensive products mentioned above I have found that the Turtlewax Wax it Wet seems to give a pretty good result in a fraction of the time, even on the soft Black paint of my current Mercedes. This has the added benefit that it means that the car actually gets polished more often.

Post #1184 Mon Jul 25 2005 1:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>