RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Snow on the way...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
Snow on the way...

Makes you glad you drive a Range Rover and not a silly Toyota Prius.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4457744.stm L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #5598 Tue Nov 22 2005 10:11am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I can't wait - that little wheel on my left will get a lot of use! Very Happy 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #5599 Tue Nov 22 2005 10:13am
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Just wished the heaters worked properly. I took my daughter to school this morning which is a 15-20min drive. It was still blowing out cold air when I got there! Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #5607 Tue Nov 22 2005 11:09am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Just wished the heaters worked properly. I took my daughter to school this morning which is a 15-20min drive. It was still blowing out cold air when I got there!

Is that your daughter or your car? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #5608 Tue Nov 22 2005 11:10am
MDP

United Kingdom 

mpwox11 wrote:
Just wished the heaters worked properly. I took my daughter to school this morning which is a 15-20min drive. It was still blowing out cold air when I got there!

Mine does seem cold - until I press the button that directs air to cabin from the dash vents ( middle button - arrow to face ) ............ then it really warms up quick.

No complaints. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5610 Tue Nov 22 2005 11:27am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yes, this is how I get around it too. I'm assuming I can treat the "auto" function the same as the climate control systems in my previous BMs... just doesn't work so well as far I can see. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5611 Tue Nov 22 2005 11:52am
kam100

United Kingdom 

i'm also noticing that the heating in the RRS is far from adequate for the size of the car.. it takes far too long to heat up, and the floor feet direction blowers don't seem to do much, even when just having them on and blasting them at max speed.. nothing.. oh well
Main thing is, we have bum warmers back and front and the face direction heaters work after a little while..

Shame, im off to Pakistan this week, so will miss the snow.. instead we'll have between 20-30 deg c during the day.. although i hope to god that the aftershocks have stopped by now..

Post #5614 Tue Nov 22 2005 12:48pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Cricket or work? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #5616 Tue Nov 22 2005 12:54pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

not work.. not cricket either.. (unfortunately)

got a family wedding to attend..
have the delight of a Honda Civic 1.6 VTI Hire car to drive over there..
can almost guarantee i will destroy the thing, they don't have insurance and as the car is almost brand new, im hoping noone else will have destroyed it before.. they have big LPG tanks in the boot though, so im hoping i don't have any rear end shunts.. drivers are crazy over there, u almost have to become crazy urself to last there unscathed.

Post #5620 Tue Nov 22 2005 1:43pm
Mr G in NYC

United States 

Hi Kam.....I know the feeling.....I had a business in Bangalore India and
had to drive between factories over some crazy backroads where no one
gives way !! Had a couple of bangs and eventually got an off road motor cycle to handle all the pot holes etc. Much more fun on a bike !!
Also drove from Mumbai to Bangalore .......4 days !!! in a series 3 land rover.
Very Bumpy !! Have a good trip .

Post #5624 Tue Nov 22 2005 2:59pm
Roland

Switzerland 

A warning to you lads from a guy based in a country with snowy winters: dont even think about being more safe in your RRS than somebody driving an ordinary and lighter car. 4x4s are heavy vehicles and a 2.6 ton RRS takes a long long time to get to a halt once it has started sliding.

Obviously you wont get stuck in a RRS driving up a hill but it's a completely different story coming down. Not even ABS will be able to help you there and HDC cannot be used on standard roads, unless you want to loose your face coming down a slope in a RRS at 20 mph.

Use your driving skills and avoid loosing contact. Go and try it out and you'll see what I mean.

Post #5629 Tue Nov 22 2005 6:52pm
Biggles

England 

Roland wrote:
A warning to you lads from a guy based in a country with snowy winters: dont even think about being more safe in your RRS than somebody driving an ordinary and lighter car. 4x4s are heavy vehicles and a 2.6 ton RRS takes a long long time to get to a halt once it has started sliding.

Obviously you wont get stuck in a RRS driving up a hill but it's a completely different story coming down. Not even ABS will be able to help you there and HDC cannot be used on standard roads, unless you want to loose your face coming down a slope in a RRS at 20 mph.

Use your driving skills and avoid loosing contact. Go and try it out and you'll see what I mean.

I could not have put it better myself.
It may have four wheel drive and be all singing and dancing in the brake department but snow and ice should be treated with respect. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #5630 Tue Nov 22 2005 6:59pm
MDP

United Kingdom 
snow?

Looks like the weather men " scaremongering" again ? Seems as though its getting warmer & were in for rain or sleet at best ( or is that worst ) Crying or Very sad 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5637 Wed Nov 23 2005 10:10am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Looks like it was a bit of a false alarm, at least by this morning's forecasts. One of these days the Met Office will get something right. They still haven't lived down the Michael Fish hurricane incident in 1987! Rolling Eyes 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #5638 Wed Nov 23 2005 10:16am
noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Hello chaps

Was over in France at the weekend, on small backroads and in a blizzard with a good solid covering of the white stuff on the ground.. perfect for a test of the Terrain Reponse Snow mode! First impressions good, it seems to dull down the throttle so you struggle to spin the wheels or slide under power. I held it in CommandShift to use the engine to brake the car as much as possible, which was fine. Overall traction was excellent and I was most impressed..

..until I hit the chicken pedal! The problem is that with the Brembo brakes on my TDV6 the front stoppers grab so hard and so quick that it's inevitable that ABS will cut in on anything vaguely slippery. I approached a downhill junction, at a very low speed and held in 1st gear, dabbed the brakes to test and even with the ABS chuntering away the car slid straight over the line and into the middle of the main road. Good job nobody was coming! not impressed.

I suppose you can't defy the laws of physics when you're trying to slow a 2+ ton metal box.. but I was a little alarmed to say the least - maybe the brake effort sensitivity on the pedal should be changed slong with the throttle when in Snow mode?

Proves you still can't beat an original Fiat Panda 4x4 when it really dumps with snow.

Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #6076 Mon Nov 28 2005 2:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>