RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Front suspension knock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Darren

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Front suspension knock

I have had my car for a month and about 2 weeks ago started hearing a knock from the suspension at the front. After reading the other thread about knocking i booked my car into my closest dealer and armed with a copy of the thread took it in with me this morning. They looked at the information i gave to them and said that they didnt know about this but this couldnt cause a knock. After spending all day on it they have said that they think the knock is the steering rack and require LR technical to look at it before they go ahead and change it.
Has anyone else experienced a fault with there steering rack?
Being the car was only 2 weeks old when it started not sure what to think. Question

Post #118654 Tue Jun 19 2007 7:38pm
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Any news update on the new test parts LR had developed and were fitting to Nutty Nige's car last week? Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #118656 Tue Jun 19 2007 7:51pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jimmy_75000

France 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

My story from last week:

http://rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic6757-15.html Range Rover Vogue ‘17 TDV6

Gone: Range Rover Vogue '11 4.4TDV8, Range Rover Sport ‘59, Range Rover Sport ‘56

Post #118660 Tue Jun 19 2007 8:27pm
Darren

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Did the column sort out the knocking??

Post #118662 Tue Jun 19 2007 8:57pm
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Bad news John, Envoy, Frizz, The biggy, and all the rest of you with the knock.
The parts concerned were the ball joints because some vehicles suffer water ingress, but the later ones are not affected so this didn't work. Time for the LR suspension and steering engineer to come out from the factory.
He did all the usual checks and decided it is the Water Hammer noise in the Dynamic Response system that is mentioned in the TSB that Envoy mentioned. In this bulletin there are certain checks that need to be carried out- pipes not fouling the chassis, valve block not fouling, stabiliser rods tight and re-torque etc. The factory engineer carried out all these checks and adjusted the arc system and DR system to factroy spec. and re-programmed mine. When I drove it home from the dealers last night it was quiet on normal driving but you can still induce the fault. Any upward movemnet of the wheels or side movement will activate the DR system thus giving the water hammer noise when the fluid moves activated by the pressure control system.
I decided to prove this is causing the noise so I disconnected the DR by taking the power off it. Then we have the light up on the dash to say the DR is not active. Sure enough there is no knock, drive at 20mph snatch the steering quiet as a mouse. Take speed bumps at full on or 45 degree angle with each wheel rising independently - no noise. Re-instate the DR and clear the fault code with IDS noise is back. I have also set the front wheel akignment and set the steering wheel straight aheaed position, then re-programmed the steering wheel angle sensor.
It looks like we are stuck with it for now. We will have to wait until LR come up with some sort of damping system for the fluid movement. Would it be better to take Peter's angle and use the forum to contact Top Gear or the like - I don't really know.
The noise is described as the cold water tap being turned off quick- thus getting a knock in your water pipe-

Sorry lads can't tell you any more than that Crying or Very sad You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #118791 Wed Jun 20 2007 9:48am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Shame... Confused I'm not sure of the value of taking the story to the press unless LR are refusing to do anything more about it. It's clearly a design issue that may only be resolved by modifying the way in which the DR system is implemented in the car. I presume if there are enough reports of it to LR, it will feed back into the QA process? Are we also saying it affects every DR-equipped car? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #118796 Wed Jun 20 2007 9:59am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I think we should give LR time to sort this out. At last you have found the cause of many of the knocking problems which is only a good thing in the long run and should lead to less problems for future owners. Keep on LR's back re the cure and let us know when it's sorted. If anyone from LR is reading this please give us a more detailed explanation! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #118825 Wed Jun 20 2007 12:43pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Personally, I blame TB Whistle 

Post #118827 Wed Jun 20 2007 12:53pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

I blame LR Whistle

Post #118833 Wed Jun 20 2007 1:13pm
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

shmoogle wrote:
Shame... Confused I'm not sure of the value of taking the story to the press unless LR are refusing to do anything more about it. It's clearly a design issue that may only be resolved by modifying the way in which the DR system is implemented in the car. I presume if there are enough reports of it to LR, it will feed back into the QA process? Are we also saying it affects every DR-equipped car?

I would think it will eventually affect more cars Smoogle but as for all I doubt it. The thing is it will be affected by ambient air temperature and fluid temperature and pump tolerences etc - so no 2 cars will be the same. The technical service bulletin states that it is working as designed and a characteristic of the system. We will have to wait and see. Its still not nice for 50k of car. Confused

Maybe some one on here is a hydraulics expert, can't we just change the type of fluid used in the DR system, I really don't know. Confused You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #118915 Wed Jun 20 2007 4:25pm
rrsjo

Porsche has just introduced a similiar DR system on the Cayenne. I bet their's doesn't knock.

My understanding is the DR has been fitted to the SC since the beginning, so faulty cars must have started surfacing since then. If so, why have LR now introduced DR as standed on all RRS HSE models, as the number of defective cars must now be growing at an alarming rate? The only answer is that LR still do not recognise it as a design fault and still categorise it as a "characteristic of the vehicle".

Is this fault surfacing on cars all over the world and if so are customers in the USA, for example, rejecting vehicles?

I have been following this problem since last November and have previously thought LR had finally taken notice and fixed it. It would appear they are quite happy to keep churning out an ever increasing number of faulty cars with no intention of doing anything about it. OK once in a while a LR technician comes out and has a look at the odd car now and again to humour the dealer and owner, such as in Nutty Nige's case, but no one comes up with the definitive answer. Nutty Nige is even asking if one of us is a hydraulic expert - where the hell is LR's expert, be it an internal employee or a costly outside contractor.

FOR HEAVENS SAKE MR LAND ROVER, GET PORSCHE'S GUY OVER HERE AND GET IT SORTED -THIS IS NOT GOING TO GO AWAY. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #118924 Wed Jun 20 2007 5:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Cheers Nutty Bow down and well said rrsjo Thumbs Up looks like we will have to wait and put up with the annoying noise, i will still be moaning at my dealer Evil or Very Mad some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #118962 Wed Jun 20 2007 8:00pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

so why does mine not make any knocking noise? clearly its not a setup issue as Nige's noise would have been resolved, so is it parts related maybe?

Post #118998 Wed Jun 20 2007 9:08pm
rrsjo

Does anyone know if DR is fitted to the FFRR S/C and if so are their owners also reporting 'water knock'? Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #119045 Wed Jun 20 2007 11:14pm
shmoogle

United Kingdom 

Nope... no DR on the FFRR. I expect it may have in future, but the FFRR only just got terrain response. 

Post #119107 Thu Jun 21 2007 9:04am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>