Home > Technical > Pre Heater.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

tasmod

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

===

Last edited by tasmod on Tue Jan 14 2014 12:08pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #5509 Mon Nov 21 2005 11:04am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

Pelyma.
Without looking under the bonnet,
1)
Does the pre heater heat the cooling system (does that make sense)
2)
Does it provide warm air to the ventilation system. Through ducting.
3)
How far away is BN from a fix and will the fix help those without the settings option in the menu. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #5512 Mon Nov 21 2005 11:10am
Pelyma

England 

Biggles wrote:
Pelyma.
Without looking under the bonnet,
1)
Does the pre heater heat the cooling system (does that make sense)
2)
Does it provide warm air to the ventilation system. Through ducting.
3)
How far away is BN from a fix and will the fix help those without the settings option in the menu.

Sorry don't understand 1) I'm a none techie/mechanical investment adviser!

Yes the heat comes out in the same way as if you had the heater on normally.

I believe he is close, but he really needs to answer that. I know he has been having pooter problems, but I'm sure a PM will flush the old boy out into the open Laughing Laughing

All I can really add is if they do sort a system to make it work in any form I will definately buy it.

Post #5525 Mon Nov 21 2005 12:50pm
NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Hi

If BN has carried on with the solution i was working on with them the settings menu will make no difference, basiclly you can add a remote control or stand alone timer unit to the wabasto heater to start and stop it, the big problem is starting up the climate system as the vents default to a closed position, when i looked into this we could use another wabasto module to power the blower on the system and then varry the voltage so that it didnt run on full but more of a gentle trickle, the flaps postion was then the big issue however if you preset up the vent postions to the main upper vents you could get the air to come out. i dont know what happened from here as my discovery became very sick and had to be replaced, then i sold it and brought a RRS and it has been 100% ok so i am waiting for someone else to complete the testing instead of 2 of us doing it.

Neil 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #5528 Mon Nov 21 2005 2:21pm
Biggles

England 

NeilR,
Hope the solution is just around the corner it is this time of year that it would be great to have.
As Pelyma says, I would be very interested in buying the mod or update.
It would have been great today, after standing around in the bottom of a cold quarry for some time to be able to transmit remote heating to start about ten minutes before getting back in the car (bliss) and have instant warmth.
The only way Ill get warm quick is to wash the muck of that is now splattered every where. (Range Rovers always look good dirty Wink ) Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #5529 Mon Nov 21 2005 2:30pm
Ecosse

United Kingdom 

bigdwarf wrote:

Reading through posts here, I think he's having me on. Only one way to find out - does anyone with an RRS HSE TDV6 have preheating functionality available????

The very earliest RRS's had the same preheating functionality as the D3's, but I think this was effectively pre-production units. The D3 has the settings menu on the 1st years build, however it seems that it only works (subjet to the radio trick) on the earliest builds, as after those LR missed out some vital components as a result of simply running out of time to homologate the parts & test them!. My D3 HSE is a prime example - built Oct/Nov 2004 for Jan 05 reg & has the settings menu + functionality of the pre-heater (& indeed pre-cooler Very Happy ) but requiring the "clock" trick to allow the timer to work. Later models have the menu but no functionality Evil or Very Mad

Post #5823 Thu Nov 24 2005 10:20pm
Biggles

England 

Looks like BN from the disco3 forum could be working some magic in his back garden shed.
Follow the link for the latest news.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30886#30886 Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #6751 Fri Dec 02 2005 3:27pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey
What model RRS has the pre-heaters?

Does anyone know what models have the pre-heaters installed (working or not!)?
I have an SE and would be very keen to either get Webasto to get it working or to install a complete system if there aren't the components already on the car. The whole situation is very confusing. I'd also consider getting one fitted to my VW van too. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #8204 Fri Dec 16 2005 6:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Biggles

England 

As far as I am aware the pre heater is only on the diesel models. if you pop the bonnet and look on the passenger side (UK) you will see a black box and it should say Webasto and some stickers in the same area warning not to touch, hot. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #8218 Sat Dec 17 2005 12:08pm
Geordiehillbilly

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

Biggles

Is the pre heater to warm the cabin space like the old deisel burners in the defenders or is it for the engine? It takes ages for my car to heat up. The X5 use to take a couple of minutes and you were on full heat.

Post #8226 Sat Dec 17 2005 4:25pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

As far as I am aware every D3 TDv6 diesel manufactured for the UK market has a Webasto diesel pre heater fitted as standard. I would be very surprised if that isn't true also of the RRS which uses the exact same engine. The RRS TDv6 HSE I collected yesterday certainly has one fitted. The faint whiff of exhaust fumes in the cabin after starting her up yesterday (in -2 degrees c external temperature) is one clue, and very familiar as we get that in the D3 whenever its cold. Indeed in the D3 its actually getting to be a bit of an issue as the fumes seem to be stronger and linger longer in the cabin than they did last year.

The idea is that the Webasto speeds up the warming of the engine principally to reduce engine wear. A very cold engine will take a lot more wear in the first couple of miles down the road on a cold day due to oil not getting to the right places. An added benefit is that the rapidly warming engine allows far faster warm air into the cabin. Certainly our RRS warmed up very quickly yesterday with appreciably warm air coming out of the cabin vents within 2 minutes. Geordiehillbilly - sounds as if you might have another "issue" there. I guess yours must have been a very early build model and possibly they hadn't perfected the plumbing by the time yours was released ? I suggest you dress up in your finest Geordie Hill Billy outfit (see the WWW link on Geordiehillbilly's post to see what I mean Shocked Laughing ) and then go and "discuss" the issue with your dealer. I suspect you'll get a RRS SC with free fuel for a year just to get you out of there .......... Cool

Post #8243 Sun Dec 18 2005 8:11am
Bontempi

Sweden 

There is a Swedish dealer that has a kit for the Disco3. It consists of parts from Webasto that need to be added (cabling, timer etc). The price for the parts is approx $1000. Additional money will buy you remote or telephone control.

I assume this kit can go in to the RRS.

http://www.pikab.se/ (in Swedish)

/Bontempi

Post #8384 Tue Dec 20 2005 11:48am
NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Just wish i could read it

Neil 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #8453 Wed Dec 21 2005 12:02am
Bontempi

Sweden 

NeilR wrote:
Just wish i could read it

Neil

Swedish isn't a world language? Surprised

Here is a quick translation. the link in question is:
http://web.telia.com/~u87006223/webasto.htm

"With the Webasto model specific Thermo Plus kit, the
original auxillary heater can be turned in to a pre heater.

Thermo plus turns the diesel auxillary heater Thermo top Z in to
a Webasto pre heater, identical to Thermo top C. The Thermo Plus kit
contains a timer, control electronics, and cabling.

Discovery III TD6 model specific kit costs sek7958 (£563.40) including
swedish VAT.

The rest of the page lists 3 options for remote control (a timer clock
is included in the package).

Telefonstart TC1.1 GSM-Start 12-24V - control your heater via telephone (keypad commands)

Fjärrstart T80 - Remote control with range up to 600m. The heater can be set to run for 10-60 minutes

Fjärrstart T100 HTM - remote with 1000m range. Can be used as T80, or
set to automatically heat the car to a specific temperature at a specific time.

/Bontempi

Post #8685 Thu Dec 22 2005 6:39pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Thanks Bontempi. I wonder whether the Swedish supplier will do mail order to the UK (would we have to pay Sedish VAT ?), and how much work (and how skilled) would be involved fitting the kit to the vehicle ?

Post #8721 Fri Dec 23 2005 7:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>