Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Wheel Weights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

William

Qatar 2007 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue
Wheel Weights

Dear All,

I've been warned by The local Landrover dealer not to attempt any wheel upgrade on my 2007 HSE.

It came with the stock V-spoke 19" which according to them is heavy enough. Any attempt to upgrade beyond
the 20" (which comes as standard on the S/C model) will put extra pressure on the suspension system and may void the warranty on these parts.

I am currently insterested in the Overfinch Tiger 22". However, I am not sure if those are heavier or lighter
than the stock 19", and if so by how much.

Did anyone keep track of the weight of these stock wheels (19", 20") vs. the 22"

Any feedback is appreciated.

William RRS 2007 HSE V8 * Buckingham Blue * Ebony Leather * Cooler Box * Sunroof * Navigation * PTI Bluetooth * Side Steps * Mud Flaps * Body Side Mouldings * V-Kool V70 Heat Insulation Glass Film * Clear Side Repeaters * Color-coded Side Vents + Grille + Door Handles + Door Mirrors * S/C Rear Decals + Door & Steering Emblems * S/C Exhaust Catbacks * Tasmod Sills * Nokia Cradle + Phone * 22" Stormers * 1st Edition Badge Very Happy

New Pics: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=11210

Post #114409 Sat Jun 09 2007 4:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

William I think they are telling you stories! There was an issue with early cars that were not supplied with 20" in that they required an uprated steering rack otherwise you could get damage to that. There is another recnt post about fitting large wheels to an RRS that wasn't supplied with 20's and doesn't have DR etc. If your car was supplied with the Dynamic Pack them I expect you will be able to run 22" wheels as you should have 20'2 with the DR. The problem with buying wheel that isn't LR suppiled is finding out if it is strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle.
Here is a link to the other thread http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic6874.html and details are there on another link to the GTR Bulletin about wheels and steering dampers 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #114412 Sat Jun 09 2007 4:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
William

Tim,

I checked my car recently and took a couple of shots for the Steering Rack:

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/displayim...&pos=6

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/displayim...&pos=7

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/displayim...&pos=8

I couldn't tell if my car came with the Damped or UnDamped steering rack.

Do these pictures tell you more than they tell me?

Any help is appreciated.

William RRS 2007 HSE V8 * Buckingham Blue * Ebony Leather * Cooler Box * Sunroof * Navigation * PTI Bluetooth * Side Steps * Mud Flaps * Body Side Mouldings * V-Kool V70 Heat Insulation Glass Film * Clear Side Repeaters * Color-coded Side Vents + Grille + Door Handles + Door Mirrors * S/C Rear Decals + Door & Steering Emblems * S/C Exhaust Catbacks * Tasmod Sills * Nokia Cradle + Phone * 22" Stormers * 1st Edition Badge Very Happy

Post #125560 Sat Jul 14 2007 5:56pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Tim's away for a couple of months. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #125561 Sat Jul 14 2007 6:04pm
William

Anyone else can help in his place please

Post #125564 Sat Jul 14 2007 6:30pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

No need to look the the pictures, you have a damped steering rack. Only very early production 2006s - and only models without Dynamic Response - were supplied with non-damped steering racks, but since then every Sport is supplied with damped gear. FWIW, mine is one of those few Sports around with non-damped steering rack, and still I have never had any problems running on fairly heavy, 3-piece AND staggered 21" aftermarket wheels, never had any vibration issues whether running aftermarkets or stockers... And I know another couple of owners with the same setup and big 22" rims, no problems... I always felt Land Rover made up a story early in the game to discourage people from mounting non-LR rims!

Your dealer is correct about one thing, though: Regardless of how light or heavy, big or small your wheels may be in the end, if they aren't OEM rims the dealer is guaranteed to blame them for anything affecting suspensions, brakes, alignment, steering, front end vibrations, knocking sounds, shimmy, etc., refusing to honor the factory warranty. Therefore, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep your stock wheels in the garage, putting them on just before you pay your stealer a visit for service. Very Happy 

Post #125702 Sun Jul 15 2007 5:21pm
ivery819

Umbertob is correct on both counts (as usual) Bow down
.......however here are the drawings anyway should anybody else be interested.

Click image to enlarge

Post #125742 Sun Jul 15 2007 10:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1