Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Sunroof Drain Pipe Corrosion and Leak
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Punkawallah

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Adriatic Blue
Sunroof Drain Pipe Corrosion and Leak

Hi all,

I know this is a well-known problem but recently I had to replace my amplifier as water had leaked into the passenger footwell from a corroded joint between the sunroof drain hole and the pipe it connects to and blown the amp. I pulled down the headliner by the rear grab handle and the pipe has actually corroded off the sunroof cassette completely and I imagine the other 3 will be not far off doing the same despite me garaging the car since I've owned it.

I really don't want to sell the car as I love it but I also refuse to spend several thousand on a new sunroof cassette on a car that WBAC values at £13k!

Does anyone have any clever fixes for this? I don't think welding is an option as it's a steel sunroof and an aluminium connector to the pipe I think...

Any ideas/fixes gratefully received! 2014 L494 V8 s/c Autobiography Dynamic

Post #641903 Mon May 13 2024 2:11pm
Karlp606

Yes quite an easy fix - check here Ive posted a few threads about my fix

https://www.rangerovers.net/threads/sunroo...ge.351767/

Post #641918 Tue May 14 2024 8:49am
Punkawallah

Thanks Karl - that’s very helpful.

I read “Pontoon”’s post with interest as he seems to say that you can bypass using the drain holes completely but I don’t fully understand his procedure and he sadly didn’t follow up with anything further. If you can shed any light on it I’d be very grateful!

Here’s his post:

“It’s repairable, you guys are getting rid of the entire car because of a tiny issue. I have a 2014 that is doing this, I sealed both drains with jb weld. Nice and smooth then ran a plastic drain just Under the plastic clip that pops off from outside the car...that plastic drain is nicely hidden and allows any standing water to turn off. Problem solved. This stops any water going into the cabin , water drains on the outside nicely, the drains are covered by a latch on strip. That can also be caulked around to seal the entire area from any water thus you won’t need to worry at all… you have four drains , two heading back to the rear a frame from the fwd top of passenger door and two at the front top a frame right by the windshield corners. it’s like throwing away an apple because you found a spot on it lol…” 2014 L494 V8 s/c Autobiography Dynamic

Post #641923 Tue May 14 2024 10:02am
Karlp606

Check here and also search youtube one guy has done the same repair on a L405

Post #641925 Tue May 14 2024 10:11am
Punkawallah

Thanks again but I can't find any videos or text on how to bypass/block-up the drain holes and install what "Pontoon" describes as a "plastic drain" to allow the water to drain outside the car. He seems to make it sound like a very simple fix so I'm keen to explore this before dropping the roof lining and doing one of the other fixes I've seen on YouTube!

Your help is much appreciated! 2014 L494 V8 s/c Autobiography Dynamic

Post #641933 Tue May 14 2024 11:59am
Karlp606

Here sir, I used a new rubber bung in the original sunroof drain hole and sealed with with car seam sealer, then connected a rubber hose to the original drain tube.

As a temp fix you can but some T tape to put over the channels on the sunroof to stop water ingress so the water wont go into the channels.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windscreen-Automo...2e69f172c0

Post #641934 Tue May 14 2024 12:08pm
Punkawallah

Thank you Karl - I’ve seen that one but that’s the “full” job and from what I understand, this guy called Pontoon has managed to block up the drain holes entirely and somehow install a new drain tube under the plastic trim that runs the length of the car. I’ll try to message him and ask for clearer instructions! Will post them here if I manage it.

Thanks again for your time/help! 2014 L494 V8 s/c Autobiography Dynamic

Post #641935 Tue May 14 2024 12:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1