RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Blowout + cracked rim fiasco
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

lemon

United Kingdom 
Blowout + cracked rim fiasco

Turns out my recently bought RRS 2007 4.2 V8 SC has a cracked alloy that had a poor repair attempt which resulted in me getting a blowout on way to Manchester from London...thankfully controllable!

I bought a second hand tyre so I could get home but found the crack during replacement. It had been repaired with some gummy type material. I figured I would keep pumping up the tyre on way to London and get a proper repair when home...NOPE!

Tyre letting out air really quickly from the crack so now can't even pump it...so I am considering my options...

1) get another wheel and tyre to replace cracked one then repair cracked one properly (welding!) and keep the new wheel as a spare

2) find somewhere to repair the crack here in Manchester then drive it to London

I see potential issues in that I am unsure if full size wheels will fit in the spare compartment...do they need to be a certain size to fit or can most wheels go under there?!

It is Sunday now so everywhere closed so can't call around repair places to see if anyone can even do it at short notice...and in order to repair I will need to remove the wheel myself and get it to the repair place, wherever that may be.

Main questions I have are...

- Shall I get a full size wheel and it will fit under the car as a spare after? (If not maybe eBay it)

- I have 22" alloys, can I use a different size spare safely for my journey to London, such as a 19" or 20"?

- Any advice for repairing current alloy? I am in Manchester so even better if you can recommend somewhere suitable!

Thanks for your time! Bow down

Post #636911 Sun Oct 29 2023 11:28am
JDPRRSUK

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I think I would always get another 22” matching alloy if possible… certainly would not drive with different size wheel (or space saver) - not that length of journey anyway.

Would check out professional repair for damaged wheel and see if viable.

Post #636941 Sun Oct 29 2023 10:47pm
Barnsnape1

United Kingdom 

A few thoughts:

I presume you haven’t got a spare with the vehicle?

Don’t run with a different sized alloy

My biggest worry though - i would check out the other 3 wheels and tyres very carefully. If one has been bodged how do you know the others haven’t

To get home I would by a single aftermarket alloy of the right size and put the tyre you bought on it. Then sort out everything properly at home. RRS 4.4 SDV8 AB 2018 – Best of all previous vehicles
RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE 2016 - Lovely vehicle but 2 cylinders missing. Gone
Discovery 4 SDV6 2015 HSE - Gone
RRS TDV8 HSE 2007 – My intro to RRS. Lovely vehicle. Gone
BMW 540 1998. - Highly tuned and ran for ever. Much missed. Gone

Post #636944 Mon Oct 30 2023 12:24am
lemon

United Kingdom 

cheers i think this may be the way to go!

Post #636966 Mon Oct 30 2023 9:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1