RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > tuning
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

p38

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Firenze Red
tuning

Hi all which is the better for tuning ,i have a 3.0 liter sdv6 RRS , a remap or a tuning box . Confused

Post #635588 Wed Sep 06 2023 11:10am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Remap everytime.

Cheers
Col

Post #635589 Wed Sep 06 2023 11:20am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Remap. Alive Tuning is probably your best bet. Bell Auto Services (BAS) is also a good shout - they did a map for my TDV8 back in the day and are still active with Land Rovers. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #635612 Wed Sep 06 2023 10:04pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Just a slight hijack of the post.
How is it that a small company can produce software that improves the cars performance/economy/whatever else, when the OEM, with vast resources does not?

Surely the OEM tries every trick in the book to make their cars as saleable as possible? RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #635629 Thu Sep 07 2023 10:42am
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

The OEM has to stick to much stricter tolerances in terms of durability or emissions. Also, in most cases the insurance premium is correlated with horsepower, so they just want their cars to be attractive in terms of costs. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #635643 Thu Sep 07 2023 4:35pm
Grimble

United Kingdom 

Fair enough on the durability (debateable, even in OEM condition), but surely the remap would have to pass emissions also? I'm already a pariah in some peoples eyes for having an RRS so don't have much to lose in that area.
Plus insurance, reading the thread on that subject it seems your location is by far the number one factor, not what's under the bonnet.
Just seems a bit of a conundrum, thats all. RRS HSE Dynamic SDV6 2014

Nemo mortalium omnibus horus sapit

Post #635661 Fri Sep 08 2023 10:19am
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Fuel quality varies worldwide. Instead of having to develop different maps for different countries/markets, a "1 size fits all" approach is taken (more or less)

Post #635665 Fri Sep 08 2023 11:25am
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

I had all my trucks mapped, and on average got 10% more horsepower, 20% more torque and 10% better fuel economy, which when you're getting sub 10mpg and spending £30k a year on fuel, is a lot of savings.

My local Volvo truck dealer used to offer to map trucks once out of warranty as the benefits were so obvious.

And as Disco Mikey said, the standard state of tune was a european one which had to cater for poor eastern european quality fuel and drivers who had no mechanical sympathy and/or very little driving skills.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #635666 Fri Sep 08 2023 11:36am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Grimble wrote:
Fair enough on the durability (debateable, even in OEM condition), but surely the remap would have to pass emissions also? I'm already a pariah in some peoples eyes for having an RRS so don't have much to lose in that area.
Plus insurance, reading the thread on that subject it seems your location is by far the number one factor, not what's under the bonnet.
Just seems a bit of a conundrum, thats all.

The emissions are homologated and the manufacturer has to meet targets for the entire range of vehicles they build, too, so increasing emissions slightly in one vehicle means dropping emissions elsewhere in the range.

Also, when the vehicle was originally built, the power provided would have been considered adequate - fashions change and we see a general move toward more power over the years. A 2012 RRS SDV6 would be "underpowered" if launched today even though it would still be perfectly fine for most owners. Would I like my currently-250bhp RRS to have 300bhp? Well, yes, there are times it would be nice but in reality there is adequate performance for today's road conditions.

Mostly, I think a remap to improve driveability rather than outright performance is desirable for these 2.5t lumps. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #635669 Fri Sep 08 2023 2:57pm
John R Hickman

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Santorini Black

Anyone have experience with SuperchipsUK? they have an offer on at the moment £275.00 for the 2.7tdv6 remap. 2008 RRS 2.7 TDV6 S Poverty model

Post #635915 Sun Sep 17 2023 10:10pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I had my old TDV8 done by Superchips UK as it was easy option to download and install the map through the OBD port using their Bluefin installer, the map did make a difference but it did not seem to be a great deal though as their figures were supposed to be a increase from around 268bhp to 320bhp so I had it put on a Dyno and it was only showing around 300bhp.

I spoke to them about it on the phone, and fair play to them, I took it out to there place which if I remember right was Buckingham can't remember if it's Oxon or Northants, they put on their own dyno and it only made around the 300 mark, and couldn't get any more.

Again fair play to them they did offer to remove the map and give me my money back, but as it it was a improvement just left it as it was.

I had my S/C done by Alive Tuning and that was run on a Dyno so I know what that throws out. I personally am skeptical of these so called before and after figures, the only way to know is run the car on a Dyno after the remap, otherwise it's just pie in the sky.

Cheers
Col

Post #635916 Sun Sep 17 2023 11:19pm
John R Hickman

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Santorini Black

To be honest I'm not really that interested in a remap for power or torque. I find the standard map is ok for my mundane driving style even with the caravan in tow. I just happened to notice their offer while looking to get my egr's mapped out and thought it seemed a good price compared to some others I've seen. I really wanted to know if they are a decent outfit or not before I part with any dosh. Seems like your experience with them Col was not bad. 2008 RRS 2.7 TDV6 S Poverty model

Post #635919 Sun Sep 17 2023 11:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1