RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > L494 Tailgate Problem.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

bonzer

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
L494 Tailgate Problem.

Hi guys,
I wonder if anyone can help, my Range Rover Sport L494 2018 tailgate opens fine on all buttons but will not close (it closes manually ok). All i get when i push the remote (or any) button to close is a chime and can hear a solenoid clicking in the tailgate.
I`ve done a search but can`t seem to find any information, has anyone got any ideas what the problem might be?

P.S. I`ve tried the tailgate reset by holding the button for 10 seconds on the remote and it won`t reset.

Bonzer

Post #634561 Wed Jul 26 2023 12:05pm
bonzer

No one have any ideas? I don't think it's anything too major as it latches closed OK manually. Does anyone know where the sensors are, was wondering if that could be the problem. I will add it has gesture tailgate which I've always found a bit hit and miss, sometimes you stand there waving your foot underneath and nothing happens.

Any help appreciated,
Bonzer

Post #634666 Sun Jul 30 2023 9:05am
bonzer

This gets stranger, I needed something out of the boot yesterday and just opened the tailgate rather than the whole car. While I`m rummaging in the boot the alarm goes off!! Censored

Post #634773 Thu Aug 03 2023 10:30am
Pos.k

United Kingdom 

Hi Bonzer,
I just sold my L494, and it was having tailgate issues - it was randomly saying the boot was open when it wasn't and setting off the alarm, then wouldn't lock again as, of course, it thought the boot was open.
Turns out it was the tailgate latch, which has 2 microswitches in that advise the status ( Thumbs Up to my indie friend - Dave at JD Automotive, Northwich, for the suggestion).
It's a quick and relatively cheap fix - around 80 quid from Advance Factors and 20 minutes to fit.
Not sure if that will solve your problems, but as a starting place it might be worth a look?

as an aside, having removed the inner panel from the tailgate (just pops off - 15 or so clips) I worked the cables actuating the latch a number of times. I don't know if this extra action cleaned the switches or something, but problem did not happen again. I replaced it next day as it was ordered anyway and couldn't risk having a problem when the guy came to pick it up. L494 Range Rover Sport Dynamic HSE - 2019, 3.0 SDV6, Loire Blue - SOLD
L461 Range Rover Sport Dynamic SE P440e - 2023
3.0 Petrol PHEV
Firenze Red

Post #634777 Thu Aug 03 2023 11:29am
bonzer

Thanks for your reply, it's worth a look. I'm away for a few days but will have a look and let you know how I get on.
Thanks Smile

Post #634778 Thu Aug 03 2023 11:53am
bonzer

Hi Pos,
It was the latch, changed it and everything is working fine. Thanks for you help Very Happy

Bonzer

Post #635179 Sun Aug 20 2023 11:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1