RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > ZF 8HP70 Oil Flow Diagram
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

gt40

South Africa 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
ZF 8HP70 Oil Flow Diagram

Good day all. I am busy with a L494 transmission job on a car that I bought (3.0 SC 2014) that had no drive in any gear. During my troubleshooting I found that there was no oil pressure so removed the transmission and then removed the oil pump. A few of the pump vanes had broken which jammed and seized the pump which then resulted in a sheared pump shaft.

I have a few transmissions in various stages of disrepair and I intend to use what is necessary to repair mine but before I proceed I need to know how far any debris from the broken pump may have traveled before it seized. I do know that the best plan would be a complete strip down and clean out of the gearbox, valve body and oil cooler plus an overhauled torque converter but I dont want to overdo everything if it is not necessary. (the previous owner had changed the oil and sump/filter which meant that I was not able to check for metal on the magnets)

My understanding is the oil from the pump goes directly to the torque converter but dont know what happens after that. The first thing I will be doing is getting the torque converter overhauled and when its is opened, it can be inspected and checked for pump debris. If the pump had seized instantly, it could mean that there is no debris anywhere which means I dont need to go any further and therefore a much simpler job.

Does anyone know or have a schematic on the flow of oil through these transmissions?

Post #634857 Sun Aug 06 2023 8:10am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1