Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > RRS 3.6 TDV8 - EGR and Cooler deletion question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Jabba

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green
RRS 3.6 TDV8 - EGR and Cooler deletion question

Hi Folks,

Whilst at lunch, I was thinking about the things I would possibly want to do/change on my RRS, one of them was to remove the EGR valves and coolers.

I've searched on here and generally online, specifically for this on the 3.6 but, was unable to find the complete job. I've read about blanking the egr's and also how to remove and replace the egr's and coolers but not their entire removal.

I have done this on a few of my vehicles over the years including my Discovery 2 TD5 that my RRS has replaced.

Please note that I currently have no pending issues with my egr's and that I would also need the software to remove them from BAS, if I did remove/blank them.

I'm just wondering if anyone has removed the coolers and if so, how did they replumb the water pipes.

Many thanks

Craig 2010 RRS 3.6 TDV8 HSE Galway Green

Post #631613 Tue Mar 14 2023 3:24pm
Jabba

I contacted Pete Bell regarding this, as I had already asked about their egr delete map.

Unfortunately I also did not receive a reply regarding my question.

I'm assuming there must be a few people that have uploaded the delete map to their rrs's. I am just wondering that when done, can the egr valves be totally removed from the engine and that they do not have to stay connected, electrically.

Many thanks

Post #632447 Tue Apr 18 2023 7:12am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

TDV8s are much less common than the 2.7 and so there are fewer people to ask. Add in that the EGRs on the 3.6 seem to be less problematic than the 2.7 EGR, and that means even fewer people looking to blank them.

ISTR that Alive Tuning can map the EGR out on the 3.6 so might be worth talking to them. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #632453 Tue Apr 18 2023 8:54am
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

In my recent conversations Alive was quite firm regarding the electronic EGR delete, as in: "we leave it alone for compliance". Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #632454 Tue Apr 18 2023 9:01am
Jabba

Thanks for your replies guys, I'll contact Alive 2010 RRS 3.6 TDV8 HSE Galway Green

Post #632457 Tue Apr 18 2023 9:32am
alfapat

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Add in that the EGRs on the 3.6 seem to be less problematic than the 2.7 EGR

Not on mine currently , and managed through (without management light on , a stroke of luck as it went through the MOT a few weeks ago, emissions were lower than expected. Just had a carbon clean perhaps that helped, before MOT , assuming they never worked before or may have been deleted as I bought with a remap and I kept getting fuel regulator out of tolerance . So reverted to a standard map from GAP TOOL and since then no fault with fuel regulator but now get EGR FAULT . This was the only reason for a carbon clean . Perhaps it was deleted.!

Post #632506 Wed Apr 19 2023 4:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jabba

And no reply from Alive Sad 2010 RRS 3.6 TDV8 HSE Galway Green

Post #632673 Tue Apr 25 2023 2:56pm
RRSTDV8

alfapat wrote:

Not on mine currently , and managed through (without management light on , a stroke of luck as it went through the MOT a few weeks ago, emissions were lower than expected. Just had a carbon clean perhaps that helped, before MOT , assuming they never worked before or may have been deleted as I bought with a remap and I kept getting fuel regulator out of tolerance . So reverted to a standard map from GAP TOOL and since then no fault with fuel regulator but now get EGR FAULT . This was the only reason for a carbon clean . Perhaps it was deleted.!

My TDV8 EGRs were changed at 140k miles but only because the intake manifold was being changed and the EGRs had to come off for that - seemed sensible to chuck new items back on at that stage. The old units were apparently "ok, considering their age". 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #632675 Tue Apr 25 2023 5:57pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Jabba wrote:
And no reply from Alive Sad

That's the unfortunate position I am in as well. They seem to be overwhelmed with communications. Try their Facebook page. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #632676 Tue Apr 25 2023 6:24pm
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

https://bellautoservices.co.uk/store/rrs-3...-road-use/

I think you leave them in place, they just never open. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #632677 Tue Apr 25 2023 7:24pm
alfapat

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

RRSTDV8 wrote:
alfapat wrote:

My TDV8 EGRs were changed at 140k miles but only because the intake manifold was being changed and the EGRs had to come off for that - seemed sensible to chuck new items back on at that stage. The old units were apparently "ok, considering their age".

Did my inlet manifold ,offside last year but never needed to remove the EGR.

Post #632686 Tue Apr 25 2023 10:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RRSTDV8

Hmmm, must be my memory playing up - it was several years ago. Fairly sure they had to remove one of the EGRs to get to something else and we decided to change them both at that point. Don't have the paperwork for that RRS anymore so can't check what else was done at the time. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #632693 Tue Apr 25 2023 11:32pm
Jabba

Hi folks,

I thought I'd give an update. I took my rrs to HWB automotive on Monday for a megaflush. Whilst there, I asked about egr blanking on the tdv8's, as the the guy runs a preface lift himself. I was told that Gary from Alive, who HWB also supply maps from, does not advise blanking of the egr's as this increase the exhaust gas temperature within the exhaust manifolds.

I can understand the logic that higher gas temperatures could cause manifolds to warp.

Just wonder what you all think.

Many thanks

Post #634162 Fri Jul 07 2023 1:14pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I had an EGR problem in Dec 22. Hummed and harred for a bit then, just to avoid complications, had replacements fitted. So £850 later and they should be good for another 120k miles... Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #634250 Fri Jul 14 2023 2:57pm
OceanCarl

Spain 

Jabba wrote:
Hi folks,

I thought I'd give an update. I took my rrs to HWB automotive on Monday for a megaflush. Whilst there, I asked about egr blanking on the tdv8's, as the the guy runs a preface lift himself. I was told that Gary from Alive, who HWB also supply maps from, does not advise blanking of the egr's as this increase the exhaust gas temperature within the exhaust manifolds.

I can understand the logic that higher gas temperatures could cause manifolds to warp.

Just wonder what you all think.

Many thanks

Craig

Sorry, Don't see the logic here. How I see it works (correct me if I am wrong); a small portion of the exhaust is directed from the exhaust manifold to the EGR cooler, cooling the exhaust that goes back into the inlet manifold. Blanking this off at the exhaust manifold and removing the complete EGR system only makes ALL the exhaust leave down the exhaust instead of some of it goes up into the EGR system. How this will make higher exhaust temperatures is beyond me.. Yes, the cooled exhaust going into the inlet manifold is theoretically making a cooler combustion, theoretically.. As fresh, cooled air from the intercooler is at a significantly higher flow rate than the exhaust gasses mixed into it (with a working EGR system) I doubt the temperature, in total, is hardly messurable

Currently doing a rebuild of a TDV8. Putting it all together again, I will leave ALL EGR system components far away from the car. Will see how it goes..

-Carlos ____-Carlos-____
-2007 RRS TDV8-

Post #636841 Wed Oct 25 2023 10:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>