RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > GPS disk?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

andrew kennedy

France 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Maya Gold
GPS disk?

I have a 2006 Sport. I have the last update GSP disk (some years ago) which doesn't give the facility of using the paddle for "recording notes". I use Google Maps on my mobile for GPS but if I new the disk that gave the gave the facility of recording messages I would like to change my present one. Anyone out there know the company that might know which disc I could purchase to change for my present one?!? Andrew Kennedy

Post #631260 Tue Feb 28 2023 9:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Updates for pre-facelift satnav ended in 2013. They included just the maps anyway, no additional system functionality. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #631267 Wed Mar 01 2023 11:46am
andrew kennedy

Thanks for the info!! So are we thinking if I can obtain a disk pre 2013 I will get the other facilities such as "make notes" and other features?!? Andrew Kennedy

Post #631269 Wed Mar 01 2023 12:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TheWojtek

I am afraid you'd have to update the firmware in the DVD drive, not the maps themselves (which is what comes on the disc).
You'll be better with taking notes with your phone anyway, this feature is so cumbersome to use it does not make sense. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #631270 Wed Mar 01 2023 12:34pm
andrew kennedy

Thank you for the advice! I would rathe use the paddle for the features it offers. So I wouldn't mind updating the firewall but I wouldn't know how to start to the download - advice would be gratefully received. Andrew Kennedy

Post #631276 Wed Mar 01 2023 3:13pm
andrew kennedy

I have tried to find the answer on line as to how one updates the firewall on my DVD drive....but haven't found useful info. I live in the country side of France and don't stand much of a chance of anyone here knowing the answer. If you know the path I should take - I would appreciate your advice. Andrew Kennedy

Post #631287 Thu Mar 02 2023 11:16am
TheWojtek

Well, it would take searching for "firmware" and not "firewall" first.

The other thing - I don't believe any disk later than 2009 contained function updates, just the maps. Your best bet would be to look for a genuine 2009 satnav computer (this thing you put the map DVD into, under drivers seat) and perhaps it will be updated properly. It then will be a simple swap, out with the old, in with the "new".

I don't know if I recall correctly, but I believe a 2008 or 2009 genuine map DVD (not the well-spread SAAB map hack that allowed SAAB map DVDs to be used in Land Rovers) contained additional features for the system. Perhaps updating with such a DVD will bring it to an older system as well.

Why would anyone bother with making this thing designed 20 years ago work in 2023 - I don't know.

EDIT:
I looked into my old owners manual for the 2006 Sport and as I was thinking, the voice notepad has nothing to do with satnav. If the car has voice control (every RRS but "S" has it), it has the voice notepad function.

Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #631295 Thu Mar 02 2023 5:14pm
andrew kennedy

That's an interesting observation! So are we thinking the DVD Disk has nothing to do with the facilities the paddle offers?!? If that is the case, is it a computer fault? The overall condition of the vechiel is in extremely good (83,000 miles on the clock). I have had it from new and would like to keep all the features in working order. If you have any further thoughts and advice I would be please to hear from you,,,, Andrew Kennedy

Post #631319 Fri Mar 03 2023 4:53pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Well I never knew about voice notes!

I think it’s build into the dvd drive unit.
And if that isn’t fitted a separate ecu

Post #631320 Fri Mar 03 2023 6:00pm
andrew kennedy

Hang on Andy...not to technical please. What is an ECU unit? Are you of the opinion that the commands from the paddle are not in any way do to with the GPS Disk? if so any thoughts as to how I can get the paddle to do what it is supposed to do. Andrew Kennedy

Post #631321 Fri Mar 03 2023 6:35pm
TheWojtek

An ECU is "Engine Control Unit". Obviously a wrong use of the abbreviation, as Andy probably meant "computer".

What commands are available once you use the voice control paddle? Ever tried saying "help" or "list commands", or "record a note"?

Andy K wrote:
I think it’s build into the dvd drive unit.

I'm not sure the voice control is the same unit as the satnav, but may be wrong. Never used voice control anyway, it's beyond comically unable to perform in times of Siri or Alexa. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #631322 Fri Mar 03 2023 8:18pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

If Voice Control is the same thing as the "Voice Recognition" system then the software is in the navigation computer.
Is the term ECU also not a general abbreviation for electronic control unit?

Cheers
Col

Post #631323 Fri Mar 03 2023 9:20pm
TheWojtek

As far as I know it was about engine, but then again English is not my first language and even Wikipedia is ambiguous.
Regarding satnav, I believe all RRSes in SE spec and above do have a navigation (hence: voice recognition) so you're right, this are connected features.
That said, in both my RRS and Disco3 manuals (our Disco3 is 2005) this feature is described in detail, so I don't think it needs an update to the satnav computer. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #631324 Fri Mar 03 2023 11:42pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I think you are right if the voice recognition feature can be updated, it is nothing to do with using the latest navigation disc, it is the software/firmware that needs updating in the actual computer as I'm assuming there is some sort of hard drive in there, that is assuming there is even a update available, may be how this is screenshot is interpreted which it is, however as you say after 20 odd years I doubt it.

Click image to enlarge

Cheers
Col

Last edited by Col on Sat Mar 04 2023 2:06am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #631327 Sat Mar 04 2023 12:37am
savi18

New Zealand 

TheWojtek wrote:
Well, it would take searching for "firmware" and not "firewall" first.

The other thing - I don't believe any disk later than 2009 contained function updates, just the maps. Your best bet would be to look for a genuine 2009 satnav computer (this thing you put the map DVD into, under drivers seat) and perhaps it will be updated properly. It then will be a simple swap, out with the old, in with the "new".

I don't know if I recall correctly, but I believe a 2008 or 2009 genuine map DVD (not the well-spread SAAB map hack that allowed SAAB map DVDs to be used in Land Rovers) contained additional features for the system. Perhaps updating with such a DVD will bring it to an older system as well.

Why would anyone bother with making this thing designed 20 years ago work in 2023 - I don't know.

EDIT:
I looked into my old owners manual for the 2006 Sport and as I was thinking, the voice notepad has nothing to do with satnav. If the car has voice control (every RRS but "S" has it), it has the voice notepad function.

My 2009 RRS is only a S model and does have the voice control.

Post #631329 Sat Mar 04 2023 12:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>