RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > EGR Valve. Different after market brands and quality?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Kzwpoas1

EGR Valve. Different after market brands and quality?

My EGR valves will need replacing shortly on a RRS L320, 3.6 TDV8, 2009.
I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with some of the more competitively ( okay, lower) priced aftermarket EGR valves such as Magneti Marelli, Ridex, Stark, Valeo. On some of the regular EU branded part websites there seems to be about 150 to 180 eur price difference between the lowest end pricing and the highest. Is the quality really that different these days?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Post #628914 Wed Dec 07 2022 2:37pm
erickwan

Malaysia 

Usually, it's a case of getting what you pay for. There's a case of someone on YouTube paying for an OEM pump and it was slow to build up pressure from cold, and lower oil pressure when warm.

Personally, I bought an OEM suspension compressor dryer, part no. VUB504700. The air-fitting blew out of the dryer canister less than 8km down the road. The OEM part was £80 as compared to £150 for the original. Plus there was shipping across the world for £50 (total £150+import duties+VAT). Seller was willing to replace the item for free provided 1) I returned the item to them so they could get a replacement from the manufacturer if it was PROVEN FAULTY, and 2) I have to pay for the return postage to them, and the postage of getting the replacement item to me.

My personal policy is to use original except for the very non-critical parts such as zip ties and plastic panel clips.

Caveat emptor!

Post #628933 Thu Dec 08 2022 3:01am
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

You do know what "O" in OEM stands for, though? Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #628936 Thu Dec 08 2022 10:03am
erickwan

Malaysia 

It’s too loosely used.

Post #628937 Thu Dec 08 2022 10:17am
TheWojtek

A matter of basic research before ordering.
If the "OEM" unit is manufactured somewhere in a Chinese sweatshop by a no-name brand, it's not OEM, even if the seller implies otherwise.
If it's from the same manufacturer(s) as they were used by JLR, it is the same unit as it was fitted back in the factory, sans Land Rover logo. Delphi, Valeo, Bosch, Dunlop, other big names are a sure shot. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #628938 Thu Dec 08 2022 11:02am
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

The trouble with OEM these days is OEM’s will run two different production lines, one for the manufacturer to their specs and another to lesser specs to offer consumers more “value”. The other side of the coin is you get an OEM who makes some obscure plastic fastener for the manufacturer offering engine components. Yes, they’re an OEM company, but not necessarily for the part you’re after. I prefer genuine on hard to replace/essential parts and let price decide on easy to replace/non essential parts. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #628939 Thu Dec 08 2022 11:07am
TheWojtek

This is not exactly that with OEM manufacturers. I've had experience with Bosch and Valeo in this field, directly at the factories.
The "different production lines" are not really different. They are identical. What differs is (sometimes, not always) the material. JLR orders an item and the manufacturers' engineers design it from material X. JLR accepts. Since the manufacturer holds the intellectual property to the part, then can duplicate the line and manufacture the very same item just without the JLR logo. So called "OEM part".
Sometimes, manufacturers' engineers may find a different material - in most cases the differences are minimal - does just fine for the lifespan of the part while being cheaper. The IP rights allow them to produce the part to their liking and they do. This will be a part manufactured by OEM, albeit different. So called "OEM quality part".
Most big subcontractors tend to upgrade their designs, your oil pump @NoExpert being the example.

It gets different if the part is manufactured by a company that copies other designs. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #628941 Thu Dec 08 2022 1:20pm
erickwan

Malaysia 

I used to work for Lucas in the past. OEM brake pads were different from originals. Car manufacturer owns the pad material formulation rights.

With other equipment, a component is contracted to another sub-contractor X. OEM part used sub-contractor Y and quality can vary widely.

Typically, Bosch relays for cars are usually made in the EU. OEM Bosch relays are made in China.

Post #628952 Thu Dec 08 2022 4:46pm
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Should have worded it, different production “runs” rather than “lines”. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #628967 Fri Dec 09 2022 7:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1