Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Winter Tyres and 18inch Wheels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

tr51

United Kingdom 
Winter Tyres and 18inch Wheels

Hi all,

Firstly, apologies for another wheel/tyre post... I've searched but can't find the info I was after - although spend most of my time on Def2 so like to think I can search on Martin's forums!

I'm looking to get a set of winter wheels and tyres for my 2011 HSE Sport. This year doesn't seem to have any 18inch options as standard, is this correct?

If not, is there any reason that I can't fit a set of 18inch wheels to the vehicle; either technical or legally?

I was thinking something like these:
[img]https://www.jgs4x4.co.uk/discovery-3-4-range-rover-sport-10-spoke-alloy-wheel/[/img]

I'm also looking at various winter options and seem to have narrowed it down to either the GY UltraGrip (Goodyear 255/55 R18 (109)H ULTRAGRIP PERFORMANCE SUV G1) or GY UltraGrip 109H Performance Plus or Pirelli Scorpion Winter 255/55 R18 109V XL.

Is there any issue with using a H speed rated tyre, given that V or Y seem to be incredibly rare?

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Post #627255 Mon Oct 10 2022 9:29pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I think your options for 18" rims for the sport are very limited even more so if you have 6 pot brembo calipers on the front, I believe there are some available although not genuine L/R, I think they may be also somewhat expensive just to use as a winter wheel/tyre. I would of thought your best option would be 255/50 x 19" which are the recommended L/R size and a lot more readily available. H rated tyres have a speed rating of 130mph so wouldn't have thought that would be a problem as that is the rating L/R use for winter tyres.

Cheers
Col

Post #627256 Mon Oct 10 2022 10:14pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

No LR 18inch rim will fit a 2011 I believe. There are a couple of aftermarket providers that do wheels that fit but they're not a cheap option.

There are a couple of 19inch rims from LR will fit and there is a good selection of 19 inch tyres that are suitable for the RRS. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #627262 Tue Oct 11 2022 9:53am
tr51

United Kingdom 

Perfect, thanks both!

Looks like the 19 inch is the way to go then!

Post #627306 Wed Oct 12 2022 8:43am
Seatown

Location: Moray - if you're a courier, yes it's mainland UK & no it's not in the Highlands

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've just put my winter wheels on my TDV8. My car is a facelift model from 2010, the year when LR dropped Brembos from the TDV8, so IIRC it has the same standard brakes as yours. The smallest OE wheels that will fit are 19 inch and so when I first got my Sport I found a set of OE 19inch RRS wheels. I've been running Nokian 255/50R19 and very happy with them. They still have 6mm tread after four winters use.

My original post about these with pics is here https://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic55086.html 2010 TDV8 - current - my first RRS, loving it so far......
2005 Cayenne S - handling defied physics and what a sound, so sod the mpg!
1995 Disco TDI- surprisingly reliable, shame about the peeling dash & other trim
Lots of other non 4X4's in between times.........

Post #627354 Thu Oct 13 2022 5:49pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you have Brembos, there are only a couple of 19" options, the below in picture being one.

I've fitted mine with 255/55 19 General Grabber AT3s (M&S marked), which I have found are more than adequate in all winter conditions & most off-roading. Also great in the dry. IMHO no point in having separate Winter & Summer tyres Smile

Post #627403 Sat Oct 15 2022 6:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1