RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Chipping Tdv8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

tasmod wrote:

Increase figures are already known at 55bhp and 110 nM for both the TDV6 and the TDV8, the TDV8 is capable of more but performs best at that rating.

What does this mean? Is the engine or transmission likely to suffer - or what? Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #98250 Wed Mar 28 2007 7:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tasmod

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

==

Last edited by tasmod on Tue Jan 14 2014 10:55am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #98267 Wed Mar 28 2007 9:12pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
beast

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Thanks for all the help guys, sorry i did not reply sooner ! been away for acouple of days

Post #98405 Thu Mar 29 2007 12:54pm
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The only comment would be the transfer box is probably the weakest point at the min, and by adding 110NM to the Torque figure, its then got to take 750NM when the upgrade is done.

I would just get it done though because like Rob says they are awsome when done.

Good luck with it
Let us know the outcome
Thumbs Up You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #98439 Thu Mar 29 2007 2:12pm
rrsjo

Nutty Nige wrote:
The only comment would be the transfer box is probably the weakest point at the min, and by adding 110NM to the Torque figure, its then got to take 750NM when the upgrade is done.

Thumbs Up

Are you in the know at LR? Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #98460 Thu Mar 29 2007 2:45pm
Nutty Nige

No Sorry not guilty
Part of our organisation is the largest company in Europe that re-manufactures drive line stuff for O E vehicle manufacturers.
The main products being Auto transmissions, and the like
I also get involved in all sorts of other stuff. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
Audi TT

Post #98478 Thu Mar 29 2007 3:03pm
rrsjo

Nutty Nige wrote:
No Sorry not guilty
Part of our organisation is the largest company in Europe that re-manufactures drive line stuff for O E vehicle manufacturers.
The main products being Auto transmissions, and the like
I also get involved in all sorts of other stuff.

So are you saying Nigel, that from your line of work you have been able to establish that the limits of the RRS transfer box will be reached - or even exceeded, if chipping produces an extra 110 Nm of torque? Or as a transmission engineer, do you just have concerns that this may be a possible issue, as the transmission must have an upper limit somewhere?

Sorry to drive this point home, but I think it important that any reliable source for identifying potential problems, should be highlighted before some of us learn the hard (expensive) way. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #98538 Thu Mar 29 2007 5:49pm
Nutty Nige

Well I work on the Elcetronics side in the aftermarket sector. Next door we have on projects for compamies like Ford, GM, Vauxhall, Vansco, Daimler Chrysler, etc on ECU re-manufacture, dashboard panels, excavator electronics CD players, most on board vehicle electronics etc.
But sometimes I have to get involved in both mechanical and electronics because if there is a design fault we need to iron out, I have to help determine where it is. and how to get around it.
I derive from master technician status originally so I look at all aspects.
All the drive train stuff and electronics are tested in house on our own test equipment that is built and designed here. If we hit a problem that is real strange I borrow a car. If we can't borrow one and it is a large contract we buy one.
I can't say too much on here because obviously we have to sign confidentiallity agreements with most clients.

What I would say is looking at the drawings and technical spec of the transfer box at 750nM of torque, after the upgrade, it is very close to the limit. If it goes bang and the dealer find its up-graded who will foot the bill and lose the warranty.
Some dealers are OK with the up-grade. My advice would be tread very carefully with the dealers that do not recommend the upgrade. Thumbs Up You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

Audi TT

Post #98718 Fri Mar 30 2007 9:03am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Interesting Nige! Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #98721 Fri Mar 30 2007 9:07am
rrsjo

Nutty Nige wrote:

What I would say is looking at the drawings and technical spec of the transfer box at 750nM of torque, after the upgrade, it is very close to the limit. If it goes bang and the dealer find its up-graded who will foot the bill and lose the warranty.
Some dealers are OK with the up-grade. My advice would be tread very carefully with the dealers that do not recommend the upgrade. Thumbs Up

Thanks very much for the above clarification Nigel.

So it would appear NOT to be over the limit at 750 Nm (but close). Very Happy

Therefore, in theory, if it went bang during the warranty period, the dealer could not attribute the cause to the chip upgrade.

So it would appear to be pretty important for the supplier of the chip upgrade to have published torque figures available for the relevant engine chip upgrade - and which have been carried out on a calibrated dyno. Idea Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #98730 Fri Mar 30 2007 9:28am
Nutty Nige

Yes but I am sure that in a court of law the warranty would only refer to a standard vehicle, NOT an up-graded one.
You must remember that it is YOUR choice to take the up-grade.
Thumbs Up You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

Audi TT

Post #98742 Fri Mar 30 2007 9:53am
tasmod

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

===

Last edited by tasmod on Tue Jan 14 2014 10:56am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #98756 Fri Mar 30 2007 10:42am
Nutty Nige

Hi Rob
Yes we get all sorts of final data from all manufaturers, such as ZF, Aisin Warner, and many vehicle manufacturers etc but as I said earlier due to strict confidential rules we can't re-produce it or pass it on in any way. Sorry
I have no problem with your product, I beleive it is an excallent software programme.
We did a lot of up-grades in the early days, that were produced here on our rolling road, when we had time, but we have now sold our rolling road and gone away from that market because of other commitments.
I am merely pointing out an opinion as a technical engineer.
It was not meant to offend. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

Audi TT

Post #98775 Fri Mar 30 2007 11:43am
rrsjo

So it would appear that Superchips published dyno figure of 798Nm of torque for the TDV8 might be pushing things a little too far. It might also mean a lot of black smoke and soot from the exhaust as well!

Regarding warranties, it seems generally accepted that LR would not refuse a claim unless they could attribute the defect to have been caused by the change from standard. Superchips (I have no connection with any of the chip tuning companies - just interested as an engineer and potential future customer) appear to offer a separate inclusive warranty against this - don't know if anyone has ever tested it?

I like these technical discussions. Very Happy Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #98789 Fri Mar 30 2007 1:09pm
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost

I've no idea what the torque capacity of the transfer box is but surely it must be able to cope with the engine torque multiplied by the ratio in low range 1st??? Consequently there is probbaly lots of torque capacity spare whilst in high range? Earlier electronic LR's remap the throttle response in low range, partially to give better controllability but maybe also to reduce the max torque available - on an auto very easy to have different max engine torque depending on which gear is engaged....

Certainly I can see the transfer box having the highest absolute torque figure applied as it is after the gearbox (where it multiplies up) and before the axles (where it has been divided down), but that does stop torque capacities being exceed firther down the drivetrain, that is after all what happens when halfshafts snap.

In the same way aircraft designers can design lighter airframes for combat (which hence give better performance) and rely upon electronics to ensure the airframe is never overloaded to failure point, I can see car designers increasingly relying upon torque sensors and electronics to protect the drivetrain by de-torquing the engine output at critical points (my D2 auto does this every gear shift!). Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #98791 Fri Mar 30 2007 1:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>