RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Winter tyres in the UK
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Winter tyres in the UK

Having found that the Continental M&S tyres on my SE are less than confidence inspiring in the snow I'm considering buying a set of winter tyres and wheels. There is another RRS in the village here and they are running on either 19" Grabber AT2 or 19" Cooper AT's (cannot remember which). I run my Defender on BFG AT's and they are great, run quietly and have really deep treads, but BFG don't make a tyre to fit the RRS (yet!). Has anybody else tried running winter tyres on an RRS in the UK, if so which tyres are you using and what do you think of them? 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #95656 Wed Mar 21 2007 12:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

Tim - when do we experience WINTER conditions in the UK Neutral 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #95663 Wed Mar 21 2007 1:04pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Get's pretty bad in his neck of the woods...

The infamous A939 Cockbridge to Tomintowl (spelling?) road is always on the traffic news in the winter Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #95665 Wed Mar 21 2007 1:08pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

buy Pirellis Scorpions snow n ice (thats what i did) they are cheap on the continent due to warm winter.. 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #95673 Wed Mar 21 2007 1:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ErSa

Norway 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Got Pirelli Scorpion Snow & Ice in 20". Very good in dry snow, however, not so sure when snow is wet and on ice. Exceptionally low on noise when driving on bare tarmac. I believe Nokian is a better over all winter tyre, at least for nordic conditions. 2010 RRS TDV6 3,0, Bali Blue/Tan/Anigre/Dynamic Pack/Logic7/Keyless entry/Paddle

Post #95799 Wed Mar 21 2007 4:27pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

When I had the FFRR TD6 it had Goodyear Wrangler HP Snow and Mud tyres and they were brilliant in the snow, the tread on the Contis is too road biased and it clogs up with snow easily.
We don't get that much snow up here - last year we ahd 20cms fall in one in March and in January we had 5cm fall in an hour, but sods law says that we get a heavy snow fall on the night before I have to go to the airport 30 miles away for an early morning flight. They are also more offroad biased which means I can play in the RRS a bit more adventurously than at present. My FFRR went right to the top of the Cairngorns oin November 2003 on it's HP Wranglers without too much trouble and in about 5cms of snow ontop of ice. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #95869 Wed Mar 21 2007 5:43pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

MDP wrote:
Tim - when do we experience WINTER conditions in the UK Neutral

Some say, that regular tyres work much less efficiently below 6.5 degrees due to the rubber stifening up. Winter tyres have a less viscous rubber compund that inspires grip.

Our, you could wait for these bad boys. Awesome stuff :-

Q Tires Celsius retractable stud tire: Good on snow, can't climb walls

Greenville, South Carolina-based Q Tires has developed a new product that could make people's lives a whole lot easier and safer beginning next winter. That's when the company plans to launch its new Celsius studded tire. Unlike standard studded rubber, which is noisy and can negatively affect performance in dry weather, the Celsius' studs retract when not in use. The ingenious system uses air from the tire itself to inflate a secondary chamber contained within, pushing the studs through the surface. If conditions improve, the air from the second chamber can be expelled and the studs will be pulled back inside. This sounds like a really interesting alternative to winter-specific tires, and if the price isn't out of control, we know a few people who might be willing to give them a try on their own machines. Re-enactments of the climactic car chase in Die Another Day, during which James Bond puts retractable studs to use on his Vanquish, are probably still not a good idea, though.

You can watch a promo video prepared by Q Tires here.
http://www.qtires.com/page.php/9 2022 P440e AB

Post #96711 Fri Mar 23 2007 11:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1