User Registered Confirmed
User Registered Confirmed
aljoFri Mar 30 2007 8:49pm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
North East Offroad Weekend - 19/20 May

North East Offroad day / Weekend - this thing is available to RRS owners !

OK, by popular request, I have spoken to Ed at Weardale Offroad and discussed exclusive use. He has offered us the following :

The weekend of 18th/19th/20th May (Friday night to Sunday evening)

Exclusive use of whole site for £30 per vehicle for a single day visitor (either Sat or Sun) or £50 per vehicle for a whole weekend visitor

Free camping and caravaning on site for the Friday & Saturday night (the lane up to the farm is a bit tight but double axle rigs have made it in the past, loos on site but no shower block).

Plenty of local BB's up to 4* hotels available if prefered

Can set up a trial couse or 2 or 3

Can set up a bar-b-que for Saturday night

Can set up a treasure hunt, site trail, game thingies, night safari

All none damaging and plenty of choice as to how dirty or clean, difficult or easy you want to be !

Optional extras include quad biking trek (at £30 a head) and/or clay pidgeon shoot (at £30 a head)

Wives/Husbands and children optional but entirely welcome (there's lots of local Sheep for anyone who is lonely).

Dogs ok as long as not sheep eaters....

Fires ok as long as cleaned up afterwards

Guess this sort of weekend could be great fun and you could do as much or as little as you wanted. The local area has lots of quite challenging green lanes, so we could run a trip off site for anyone interested, or the site itself is more than big enough to keep an army of D3 and RRS owners happy. I can take my defender and get a few others to bring their off road toys if anyone wanted to try out something a bit less expensive than their shinny D3/RRS. Other vistor attractions in the area include Durham Town & Cathedral, High Force waterfall, Roman Wall and the bright lights of Newcastle.

The weather could make a very big difference though. On a clear day the site is drop dead gorgeous in Weardale (just like the Yorkshire Dales with a bit less Limestone), but on a wet, cold, windy weekend, it could be quite a "different" experience.

So all I need to know now is whether there is sufficent interest to make the weekend a goer (and I'll try the D3 forum as well). There is no maximum or minimum numbers, but guess we would need 10 or more to keep Weardale (and ourselves) happy and feeling like we are part of a big family...... RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Last edited by Smarticus on Fri Mar 30 2007 8:40pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #95063 Mon Mar 19 2007 7:50pm
Smarticus

We now have about a dozen D3 owners signed up for this event. Am I going to be the only RRS there ? If that's the case I'll have to take the wifes D3 so I don't feel too much like a lonely RRS driver.

Are there really no RRS owners who fancy a day or 2 at a really good fun (and non damaging!) offroad site, set aside for our exclusive use, for a weekend in May ?

If you aren't within easy driving distance of Weardale (near Durham) and don't fancy camping, caravaning or local B&B - you could stay at Slaley Hall Hotel. This is about 15 minutes drive away, accross some really scenic moorland, and is a 4 star leisure / golf hotel with great facilities including a brilliant offroad course. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #98955 Fri Mar 30 2007 8:38pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Again dates are a problem for me - otherwise I'd be interested - sorry I cant make it Sad

Post #98956 Fri Mar 30 2007 8:42pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Same here, i would love to come but w@&k commitments Big Cry some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #98958 Fri Mar 30 2007 8:44pm
aljo

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

penciled the 20th of may in smarticus Thumbs Up 

Post #98960 Fri Mar 30 2007 8:44pm
paulL

Spain 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Smarticus

I think i may be able to make this and will let you know in due course. Sounds like a good couple of days.

Paul 2013 RRS SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White
2007 RRS TDV8 HSE - gone -
2005 RRS TDV6 HSE - gone -

Post #99219 Sat Mar 31 2007 10:21pm
Smarticus

PaulL, any idea whether you can make it yet. We do badly need a few more RRS to balance out the D3's which are queing up to come along ...

Whilst writing, has anyone used their SatNav in Offroad mode yet ? I am working on a few "exercises" to play with at Weardale and would like to see whether we can use the Sat Nav system to do some night navigation or some off road orienteering. Any suggestions on what can be done would be gratefully received ..... RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #102524 Sun Apr 15 2007 9:42pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Smarticus, just heard that I should be home right up until mid June so please add me in for the weekend, I will have to confirm finally a bit closer as I have to have permission to be away from home after my leave has expired! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #103925 Fri Apr 20 2007 5:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

That is great news Tim

Thumbs Up

your welcome to stay at home with us if you want at Slaley (about 15 minutes from site). Though I might stay over at the site (would be good to use the camper van which has sat on our drive for 3 years and only been used 4 times).

Will need your help setting up a couple of trails, RTV's, night navigation, pub runs etc. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #103988 Fri Apr 20 2007 9:57pm
Tim in Scotland

I won't be bringing the RRS along as I have the Defender to scratch and dent/ act as a D3 rescue truck! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #106730 Wed May 02 2007 9:37pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

Everyone - Tim and I are going to spend Friday 18th at Weardale setting up a trail and an RTV (and we promise to make it interesting but non damaging - no one is allowed to scratch, ding or otherwise bust their pride'n joys - although they are allowed to get a little bit stuck every now and then - half the fun is getting "rescued").

The site is just west of Wolsingham, off the A689 in Weardale and the post code is DL13 3BG. The turn off the main road is sign posted (GR055 369 - the OS map is Landranger No. 92 - Barnard Castle and maps 87 and 91 would be good to bring too if you want to go green laning off site at all) then take the lane, accross a bridge, sharp left, over a railway line, up a hill, right hand fork = Coves House Farm). The guy who runs the show is called Ed Todd (and his Dad helps out). They are the poshest hill farmers you'll ever meet and genuinely love offroaders. Carvans are most welcome on site but do be careful as the lane is a bit tight.

There are a number of good / very scenic and RRS friendly green lanes in the area if anyone fancies a trip off site over the weekend. My particular favourite is the Grasshills Causeway which is a lane that crosses from Weardale to Teesdale, from where you can easily visit High Force waterfall. On the Sunday there is another offroad site just up the valley that Ed runs called Rogerley Quarry, which we could visit if you fancy ...

As regards catering. There are no shops, cafes or pubs near the centre, although plenty within 15 minutes drive. Do people fancy a communal bar b que on the Saturday night or a trip to a local pub or do people want to do their own thing ?

A GPSor SAT Nav and hand held walkie talkie would be good to bring if you have it, as that allows us to play a few navigation games and keep in touch.

Any questions - just shout Thumbs Up

Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep Sheep RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #106733 Wed May 02 2007 10:01pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

Thanks Thumbs Up

Can I go in a non land rover product?

Post #107187 Sat May 05 2007 10:15am
Smarticus

Doc, more the merrier. But your FFRR is a Landrover product ??? Go on, get it muddy, you know you want to ....... Razz

Seriously though, any non Landrover product is welcome as long as it is driven by a "true believer", but it is strictly forbidden that it can in any way outperform a land rover product, under any circumstances at all.

Landcruisers with their trick diffs can just occassionally have an edge as I know well from my stag do. We took 18 "lads" offroading in some of Solihull's finest (all hardened offroad prepared vehicles with winches, snorkels and Mud Terrains). One guy turned up in his shiny Land Cruiser and after a touch of mild encouragement, he lept in his LC and drove straight into the deepest, steepest, rockiest and knarly section of offroading in the place. He did fine until he got to the trees, where the width of a LC becomes a seriously limiting factor Shocked RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #107384 Mon May 07 2007 6:14pm
Tim in Scotland

Well guys all I can say is you missed out on a fantastic non damaging (for the D3's, not so for the Defenders who did their thing and have the battle scars!) weekend that was enjoyed by the D3 members who attended - Smarticus and I were the only RRS Members but we used our Defenders. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #109805 Sun May 20 2007 10:37pm
Tim in Scotland

Here are some photos - will post videos later in the week

The first campers on Friday night - they nearly got blown away!

RLD and Gareth coming up the perimeter road

The Sunday Afternoon Squad

BobbyCrisppacket climbing out of the quarry

Smarticus found us a cracking set of green lanes on Saturday evening, between Weardale and Teesdale

Happy Campers, this doesn't look like May weather but it was at 9:30 in the evening!

RLD in the quarry

Due to lack of RRS's we know that these 3 D3's weren't roped together to show how to recover a stuck one Laughing

Ahh all is revealed, thank goodness it wasn't an RRS on the end, the butler would never have lived it down and we would have been the butt of numerous rescue jokes over on D3 - Smarticus set up a winching trial to get his 90 up a route that was only supposed to be a descent and was the one that claimed both ends of my 90's front bumper when I went down it

More to come later 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #109822 Mon May 21 2007 10:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>