Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > advice needed :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

Baker3570

United Kingdom 
advice needed :)

Hi all,

New to the site as im looking at buying my first RRS. (apoliges if this isnt allowed)

Ive been searching around various sites for advice on buying a used RRS, all i see is DO NOT BUY!! haha are they that bad?

Im looking at a couple of RRS 3.0 TDV6 aged between 2009 - 2011 - my budget it £13k which i have found a few examples with under 80k miles (

I know that basics to check:

Service history - ideally needs to be dealership
gearbox should be serviced around every 7k - 10k and major one at 80k
air suspenion check - holding the button to lower it for 10secs then drive off to 10mph and make sure it lifts automatically.
cambelt changed - due 10yrs or 105k?
checking for vibrations when on a test drive

Before i commit to going to veiw any / test drive what are the other main things i should be looking for? i am pretty handy with general repairs (nothing major) so small issues dont bother me.

Any info would be apprecited as this going to be my first RRS

Thanks
Danny

Post #614073 Fri May 28 2021 7:25am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Cambelt Is every 7 years not 10 or 105K miles.

Cheers
Col

Post #614076 Fri May 28 2021 8:17am
Bertbuckie

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

I recently bought an l320 2013.
We looked at a lot of them, imho just dont rush and drive a few. The first couple we drove felt lots better than our last car ( mazda ) and we felt they were perfect..... then we drove the one we bought and the difference was night and day.
Your budgets quite low for a low mile example imo, we were 17.5k for 80k and 2013 plate but in fairness I was happy to pay a bit above with warranty and because it was absolutely mint condition.

The main things I noticed with the ones we didnt buy....

Suspention felt like it almost grinded on some going up and down.

Steering seemed to pulse? Very odd on one.

Some were obviously molested.

Some sellers honestly thought they had the greatest cars ever and they were obviously crap.

Drivers seats destroyed from getting in and out.

Sellers using photos from years ago...... one even had changed wheels, badges, etc etc.

Check how many owners before buying. One we looked at had had 4 owners in 2.5 years!

Post #614077 Fri May 28 2021 8:25am
Baker3570

United Kingdom 

Col wrote:
Cambelt Is every 7 years not 10 or 105K miles.

Cheers
Col

brilliant thank you

Post #614078 Fri May 28 2021 8:29am
Baker3570

United Kingdom 

Bertbuckie wrote:
I recently bought an l320 2013.
We looked at a lot of them, imho just dont rush and drive a few. The first couple we drove felt lots better than our last car ( mazda ) and we felt they were perfect..... then we drove the one we bought and the difference was night and day.
Your budgets quite low for a low mile example imo, we were 17.5k for 80k and 2013 plate but in fairness I was happy to pay a bit above with warranty and because it was absolutely mint condition.

The main things I noticed with the ones we didnt buy....

Suspention felt like it almost grinded on some going up and down.

Steering seemed to pulse? Very odd on one.

Some were obviously molested.

Some sellers honestly thought they had the greatest cars ever and they were obviously crap.

Drivers seats destroyed from getting in and out.

Sellers using photos from years ago...... one even had changed wheels, badges, etc etc.

Check how many owners before buying. One we looked at had had 4 owners in 2.5 years!

yeah im in no rush to buy, will take my time when taking them out for a test drive etc. my only issue is at the moment where i live the ones that "look" great on ads seem to be over 200 miles away!

Post #614080 Fri May 28 2021 8:31am
Bertbuckie

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bonatti Grey

It's sneaky but I always take a cheap ebay £5 bluetooth scanner with me on test drives as well. I realise its not as good as a proper model specific, but it can give a good indication of issues.

Post #614081 Fri May 28 2021 8:34am
Baker3570

United Kingdom 

haha yes i have done this before too. i have two just incase one isnt compatable!

Post #614082 Fri May 28 2021 8:35am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

If looking between 2009 and 2011 plate cars I would seriously consider the TDV8 if you can find a decent one in preference to the 3.0L, don't have to worry about cambelt either.

Cheers
Col

Post #614085 Fri May 28 2021 9:11am
Crraigymmmmm

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

I was in the same position a couple weeks back, Didnt drive the 4 i saw before mine but they were very rusty and just not good arround the edges (if you know what I mean) Dodgy history etc and my budget was up to 17K, eventually I went private (found one with a balance of warranty) for 15K and it was a beaut, its a 61 plate My12 and its mint with 75K.
I have a wear and tear warranty on her too for a little peace of mind. They are out there, just wait for the one that feels right.

Post #614088 Fri May 28 2021 9:55am
Crraigymmmmm

Dont let the drivers seat put you off, this is normal ish unless the owner is 5 stone and only did motorway miles,
I replaced the seat foam for £50 and its like new now as mine was slightly collapsed, the Leather was perfect though.

Post #614089 Fri May 28 2021 9:56am
Baker3570

United Kingdom 

Crraigymmmmm wrote:
I was in the same position a couple weeks back, Didnt drive the 4 i saw before mine but they were very rusty and just not good arround the edges (if you know what I mean) Dodgy history etc and my budget was up to 17K, eventually I went private (found one with a balance of warranty) for 15K and it was a beaut, its a 61 plate My12 and its mint with 75K.
I have a wear and tear warranty on her too for a little peace of mind. They are out there, just wait for the one that feels right.

did you take out a private warranty? thats a very tidy looking RRS too love that colour.

Post #614090 Fri May 28 2021 10:09am
Baker3570

United Kingdom 

Crraigymmmmm wrote:
Dont let the drivers seat put you off, this is normal ish unless the owner is 5 stone and only did motorway miles,
I replaced the seat foam for £50 and its like new now as mine was slightly collapsed, the Leather was perfect though.

thank you, stuff like that doesnt bother me as like you say these are easily sorted for not alot of money ive had X5's and 3 series M Sport where the drivers seat is alomost always worn or sagging.

Post #614091 Fri May 28 2021 10:11am
Crraigymmmmm

Baker3570 wrote:
Crraigymmmmm wrote:

did you take out a private warranty? thats a very tidy looking RRS too love that colour.

Thanks, I wasnt sure on the colour at first, wanted black or a darker grey but happy now. I took out a motor easy cover, I have it in writing that the crank is covered, just make sure you have this and wear and tear cover. otherwise its not worth the paper its written on. its already have the roll bar and inlets replaced too. It came with 4 months warranty from the last owners purchase 3 years ago so I was covered from day 1. I found Private the way to go, all the ones i looked at with dealers were dodgy and the dealer knowing nothing about them.

Post #614092 Fri May 28 2021 10:27am
Baker3570

United Kingdom 

if you dont mind me asking how much was your warranty? sounds like you found a decent one with an honest seller which privately is very rare.

Post #614093 Fri May 28 2021 10:36am
Crraigymmmmm

hopefully lol, only had it 2 weeks........ I have the V5 though.
me have some offers on at the moment but rrp is a about 2K for 2 years and 3rd year free. Not cheap but might be able to negotiate a discount, as it covers engine and box / suspension and turbos its a fair price.

Post #614094 Fri May 28 2021 11:29am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>