RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 4-zone climate vs 3-zone
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

ecs0set

United Kingdom 
4-zone climate vs 3-zone

My 2014 AB was advertised with 4-zone climate. I've got the build spec direct from the local LR dealer and it says "Air Conditioning 4 Zone Air Con". And yet, the two rear controls are seemingly permanently linked to the same temperature leading me to think it's just 3-zone.

Further giveaways appear to be a lack of air-vents in the 2nd row headliner and no vent on the left of the boot. I *THINK* this confirms 3-zone, however a search on here shows pics of ads claiming 4-zone which don't have these features either. In fact I can't find a confirmed picture of the 2nd row roof vents in a L494 (often shows FFRR L405). Might it depend on model year? I do have cooled rear seats which I thought came as part of the 4-zone pack.

For those who genuinely DO have 4-zone climate (independent rear-controls), do you also have 2nd row roof vents and a vent in the boot?

Dealer also misadvertised HUD, solar windscreen, wade sensing and park heating with remote so while none of these are critical, some words need to be exhanged! Mad As an SDV8 it DOES have a fuel burning heater, just need to re-read whether timed climate and a remote can be added.

Post #613566 Wed May 12 2021 3:03pm
MrM

I have 4 zone climate and have vents each side above the rear doors where the internal lights are and also a rearward facing vent on either pillar between the second row seats and the boot. Hope that helps, mine is an MY17.

Post #613568 Wed May 12 2021 4:03pm
ecs0set

United Kingdom 

Excellent, thanks. I suspect there are a lot of 4-zone claims that are only 3-zone - because 2 controls in the rear!

What model year do you have?

Post #613571 Wed May 12 2021 5:01pm
2 RRS

United Kingdom 

Ditto MrM

Mine is a 14.5MY Dynamic with 4 zone and heated/cooled seats front and rear. When I spec'd it new 4 zone climate was a pre-requisite of the heated cooled seat package.

Mike

Post #613572 Wed May 12 2021 5:04pm
ecs0set

United Kingdom 

Mine is also a 2014.5 model year.

How odd. Sounds like either a misbuild by LR or they didn't have the parts or they made a mistake registering the spec on Topix.

Oh well, the kids will just have to squabble between themselves on the temperature. Thanks all!

PS. Sorry MrM, didn't see that you had already stated the model year!

Post #613582 Thu May 13 2021 5:34am
Johnrrs

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Zambezi Silver
Re: 4-zone climate vs 3-zone

ecs0set wrote:
My 2014 AB was advertised with 4-zone climate. I've got the build spec direct from the local LR dealer and it says "Air Conditioning 4 Zone Air Con". And yet, the two rear controls are seemingly permanently linked to the same temperature leading me to think it's just 3-zone.

Further giveaways appear to be a lack of air-vents in the 2nd row headliner and no vent on the left of the boot. I *THINK* this confirms 3-zone, however a search on here shows pics of ads claiming 4-zone which don't have these features either. In fact I can't find a confirmed picture of the 2nd row roof vents in a L494 (often shows FFRR L405). Might it depend on model year? I do have cooled rear seats which I thought came as part of the 4-zone pack.

For those who genuinely DO have 4-zone climate (independent rear-controls), do you also have 2nd row roof vents and a vent in the boot?

Dealer also misadvertised HUD, solar windscreen, wade sensing and park heating with remote so while none of these are critical, some words need to be exhanged! Mad As an SDV8 it DOES have a fuel burning heater, just need to re-read whether timed climate and a remote can be added.

Im pretty certain that if it has the climate digital controls in the rear that it has 4 zone climate. Cars that dont have it only have the heated seats buttons in the back no other heating controls. Are you sure the climate is not set to auto mode where the driver climate adjusts the passenger controls too? It may not be auto mode but im sure there is a way it does this

Post #613583 Thu May 13 2021 6:56am
ecs0set

United Kingdom 

As I understand it, 3-zone is standard on AB (compared to 2-zone with no rear controls) but although there are two controls in the rear, both sides are locked to the same temperature. Same if you adjust through the front screen, even if 'Sync' is not selected.

Genuine 4-zone allows independent rear temp selection and also has additional vents.

I'll check with the dealer when I'm next in but I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Post #613584 Thu May 13 2021 6:59am
MrM

I’m always slightly baffled by zoned climate anyway, how effective is it in practice? If it was me I wouldn’t worry from
a practicality sense. As to whether you feel aggrieved by the dealer advertising it as such is a different matter.

Post #613589 Thu May 13 2021 8:35am
ecs0set

United Kingdom 

It would be useful for me. One of my daughters gets a little motion sickness and likes the temperature ice cold. Seems a shame to have to freeze the other daughter as well but there we go!

I can't fault the dealer too much on this issue if even LandRover can't get it right.

Post #613590 Thu May 13 2021 8:40am
2 RRS

United Kingdom 

ecs0set wrote:
Mine is also a 2014.5 model year.

How odd. Sounds like either a misbuild by LR or they didn't have the parts or they made a mistake registering the spec on Topix.

Oh well, the kids will just have to squabble between themselves on the temperature. Thanks all!

PS. Sorry MrM, didn't see that you had already stated the model year!

LR registered mine on Topix with 21" wheels as I ordered it, but when it got to the dealer it had 22" alloys, when I enquired why I was told that LR had supply problems with the wheels I spec'd so upgraded the build to 22"s free of charge. I then moaned about the increased costs of tyres over the life of the vehicle and got a £1K refund - Big result!

Post #613593 Thu May 13 2021 9:48am
MrM

ecs0set wrote:
It would be useful for me. One of my daughters gets a little motion sickness and likes the temperature ice cold. Seems a shame to have to freeze the other daughter as well but there we go!

I can't fault the dealer too much on this issue if even LandRover can't get it right.

Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Post #613594 Thu May 13 2021 9:55am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

ecs0set wrote:

Buy her a thick jumper or a nice travel rug. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #613598 Thu May 13 2021 12:50pm
Heremyjill

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Hello,

Just seeing this old post concerning the above issue.

It appears that my TOPIX build also states 4 zone, but like the OP I do not have any vents in the B pillar or roof.

My question relates to the central knob that controls the fan. Does this work for the members that only have 3 zone? If it does, does anyone know where the fan is that the knob is controlling?

When ever I turn the rear fan up to full speed, there is no noise at all and certainly no extr air flow coming from the two vents in the centre console.

I have this set up in the rear

Thank you "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB
Now 2018MY Ford Fiesta ST Line 140bhp
Gone 2006MY BMW X5 3.0d Le Mans
Gone 2001MY BMW 530d Estate

Post #632498 Wed Apr 19 2023 1:30pm
ecs0set

United Kingdom 

Tested mine at the weekend. The rear fan control is directly linked to the front fan control. If you turn the rear fan control up, the front fan control also increases.

i.e. It's the same fan.

Post #632821 Tue May 02 2023 9:13am
Heremyjill

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Thank you for the update

It is most strange then that my rear fan knob does not seem to control the front fan as I am sure we have the same set up.

I will have to investigate further "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB
Now 2018MY Ford Fiesta ST Line 140bhp
Gone 2006MY BMW X5 3.0d Le Mans
Gone 2001MY BMW 530d Estate

Post #632878 Fri May 05 2023 9:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>