RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > What to replace my SDV8 with? P400 views pls
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Cooperman

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
What to replace my SDV8 with? P400 views pls

Due a change in September. Have really enjoyed my AB SDV8, and love V8s generally ... but can’t see me in an SVR - bit too extrovert, I’m not keen on petrol stations, and no captains arm rest Laughing

Lease deals on diesels seem appalling, so looks like a petrol. The HST P400 looks interesting and lease deals seem comparatively good value. I’d be missing some torque, but gaining ~60bhp and maybe some refinement?

Spec decided with the exception of whether to go for the HUD. Feels like a nice toy to have, but I’m not sure it’s really needed.

Would welcome views on:

1) what people have replaced their SDV8 with

2) how well the P400 suits the car

3) if the HUD is worth having

4) if anybody has reliable insight as to when the replacement will be out. I’m thinking of taking a 30 month lease, but don’t want to order and find that RRS3 is coming out imminently!

BTW - had an X5 45e on loan for a few days - I was surprised at how very impressed I was with this, but have decided that I’d like to support British manufacturing. Also seriously considered a high-spec Velar, but the more I think about it the more it feels like quite a step-down.

Thanks
Cooperman Current: Cayenne GTS (got fed up with waiting for LR to build my third RRS)
On order: RRS3 510e AB
Gone: RRS SDV8 AB, RRS SDV6, Vauxhall Nova 1.0, Nova 1.3 SR, Nova 1.4 SRi, Renault Laguna (why?), BMW 318is coupe (fabulous - despite having to buy a radio and tape player for it from Halfords), 323i saloon, 325ti compact (superb), 320td compact (awful), VW Golf 2.0d 4Motion (all the car you really need), BMW 120d compact (excellent), 118d compact (slow), 335d coupe (rapid)

Post #613470 Sun May 09 2021 10:19pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

I've had a P400 for 20 months and 11.5k miles. Low mileage is due to Covid. I previously had a 3l diesel but have never really liked diesels, noisy and smelly. The petrol engine is superb, quiet and super smooth. As for torque if you have an auto its almost irrelevant, ,the car just changes gear as is needed and keeps it in the correct rev band. I choose an HSE with a few extras as listed below as I don't like all the black trim, wheels etc on the HST. The HUD looked OK but not at £1k.
My experience of the V8 diesel was renting one to take on a trip to Geneva to see how much I liked the RRS. Whilst I really liked the car the engine made no great impression on me, hence I bought a 3l diesel.
Fuel consumption is 18/20 mpg around town up to 28 mpg on a good run. The v8 diesel gave me about the same whilst the 3l would give up to 32mpg. I've read about all sorts of amazing figures for mpg but I've never been able to achieve them and find my results are very close to those delivered by Autocar on their road tests.
Yes the P400 might cost an extra £1.5k pa in fuel over the diesel but compared with the £75k++ price and depreciation its almost irrelevant .
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #613471 Sun May 09 2021 11:06pm
Cooperman

Thanks Tim. Good to hear that you like the P400 engine ... and yes, I know what you mean about some of the HST trim - I’m not a fan of black wheels myself but the choices are 21” in black or 22” in black! Current: Cayenne GTS (got fed up with waiting for LR to build my third RRS)
Gone: RRS SDV8 AB, RRS SDV6, Vauxhall Nova 1.0, Nova 1.3 SR, Nova 1.4 SRi, Renault Laguna (why?), BMW 318is coupe (fabulous - despite having to buy a radio and tape player for it from Halfords), 323i saloon, 325ti compact (superb), 320td compact (awful), VW Golf 2.0d 4Motion (all the car you really need), BMW 120d compact (excellent), 118d compact (slow), 335d coupe (rapid)

Post #613475 Mon May 10 2021 10:45am
RRT

United Kingdom 

My contacts who are well informed, tells me the 3ltr 6 pot hybrid electric is the RRS to get not the 4 pot. As for release date the FFRR should be available very late 2021 or very early 22. The RRS will follow possibly from June 22 but LR are prepared to let this slip. MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #613490 Mon May 10 2021 4:03pm
Rowdie

United Kingdom 
6 pot hybrid

Hi RRT. Do you mean the six pot p400 or the alleged 6 pot plug in hybrid not yet available ??

Post #613491 Mon May 10 2021 4:24pm
RRT

United Kingdom 

To be fair because I am keeping my SDV8 long term I am not totally sure, but he is definitely referring to EV so guess hybrid. Sorry I cant be more specific. MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #613492 Mon May 10 2021 4:28pm
Swiggy

Scotland 

timhum wrote:
I've had a P400 for 20 months and 11.5k miles. Low mileage is due to Covid. I previously had a 3l diesel but have never really liked diesels, noisy and smelly. The petrol engine is superb, quiet and super smooth. As for torque if you have an auto its almost irrelevant, ,the car just changes gear as is needed and keeps it in the correct rev band. I choose an HSE with a few extras as listed below as I don't like all the black trim, wheels etc on the HST. The HUD looked OK but not at £1k.
My experience of the V8 diesel was renting one to take on a trip to Geneva to see how much I liked the RRS. Whilst I really liked the car the engine made no great impression on me, hence I bought a 3l diesel.
Fuel consumption is 18/20 mpg around town up to 28 mpg on a good run. The v8 diesel gave me about the same whilst the 3l would give up to 32mpg. I've read about all sorts of amazing figures for mpg but I've never been able to achieve them and find my results are very close to those delivered by Autocar on their road tests.
Yes the P400 might cost an extra £1.5k pa in fuel over the diesel but compared with the £75k++ price and depreciation its almost irrelevant .
Tim

I’ve had my P400 for just over 6 months and have done around 6k since I bought it. It’s a great engine, very smooth, refined but with serious go when you need it, admittedly not as quick as the SVR, but the fuel economy is significantly better. I’ve done a number of different trips in it - the last one a drive from Central Scotland to Bristol and back - averaged just over 30mpg and for the first 250miles north (with no wind assistance) averaged 32mpg, admittedly taken from the trip computer so a little poetic licence from JLR no doubt! The engine is super refined, quick to respond with the MHEV, but also quite tuneful when pushed hard to the redline. I thought about the SVR, but this seems more acceptable today than a V8 and whilst not sure about an HST, I got a second hand one 3months old with 3k on the clock - really grown to love the trim and the look, albeit, it’s a Carpathian Grey which is more muted than the Firenze red or silver versions you see. Good luck with it!

Post #613495 Mon May 10 2021 9:46pm
Cooperman

Thanks Swiggy. Sounds like the P400 is a really nice combination of performance, refinement and economy. Your Carpathian with the ebony and ivory interior looks great 👍 Current: Cayenne GTS (got fed up with waiting for LR to build my third RRS)

Post #613503 Tue May 11 2021 9:45am
richamartin

2013 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 Baltic Blue

My sources inside JLR say the FFRR will be available to order in late 2021, early 2022, with deliveries in mid 2022.

RRS3 will follow about 12-18 months behind that, as meaningful development & testing hasn't even started yet. So in reality, it's going top be at least 2 years before we see it and even then, probably best to wait for the 0.5MY to work out any kinks! Now
-----------------------
2022 SVR
2021 Bentley Continental GT
2020 Defender 110
2022 Defender 90 V8
Plus 16 other toys! Wink

Post #613504 Tue May 11 2021 9:53am
timhum

United Kingdom 

Swiggy,

My fuel consumption figures were calculated on the actual amount of fuel put into the car against the miles. I found that the trip computer was over reporting by 4 mpg !

Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #613506 Tue May 11 2021 10:41am
Cooperman

richamartin wrote:
My sources inside JLR say the FFRR will be available to order in late 2021, early 2022, with deliveries in mid 2022.

RRS3 will follow about 12-18 months behind that, as meaningful development & testing hasn't even started yet. So in reality, it's going top be at least 2 years before we see it and even then, probably best to wait for the 0.5MY to work out any kinks!

Thanks. Sounds about right to me, and suits my timescales perfectly. FWIW, for approx 6 months before the Defender was launched, I used to see camouflaged test cars rolling around by me (Staffordshire) early morning. Not seen a new FFRR, let alone a new RRS, so makes me think they are a way off yet. Altho with lockdown I have been on the roads less. Current: Cayenne GTS (got fed up with waiting for LR to build my third RRS)

Post #613507 Tue May 11 2021 11:07am
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Cooperman,

I posted camouflage pics of the new FFRR in November in the other cars section, there is a thread about the new Full fat, if it wasn’t for COVID I would think it would have been out by now but as others suggest I would agree late 21 would seem more likely now.

Post #613520 Tue May 11 2021 2:39pm
Cooperman

Nice spot M13lky! So the new FFRR is indeed roaming around the UK; presumably that was up in Scotland where it had probably seen some off road action? Current: Cayenne GTS (got fed up with waiting for LR to build my third RRS)

Post #613537 Tue May 11 2021 9:27pm
m13lky

United Kingdom 

Yes in a local services on the M74 southbound, the real body lines you could see through the camouflage wrap were very similar to the shots & images in that thread, there were some dodgy foam fake pieces stuck on to try & throw people off the final body lines etc but standing next to it they stood out a mile!

Post #613538 Tue May 11 2021 9:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1