Home > Technical > Aftermarket head unit installation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Bontempi

Sweden 
Aftermarket head unit installation

Hello!

I test drove the RRS with Logic 7 audio yesterday. I loved the car, but
the stereo was a bit disappointing. Did anyone replace the original head unit with something else?

Is the head unit required for proper vehicle operation (navigation etc)? I do not care about phone intregration or the steering wheel remote.

Thanks,
Bontempi

Post #4234 Sun Oct 30 2005 10:03am
LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

LR have had amplifier problems with the Logic 7 system so it may be that the car you drove had this fault.

We are running a logic 7 system and its fabulous

Post #4236 Sun Oct 30 2005 10:15am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Ditto: I think the Logic 7 is very well suited to the car, the first stereo I have had where I don't need the base cranked up all the way, there's plenty to play with. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4257 Sun Oct 30 2005 6:47pm
Bontempi

Sweden 

Having heard other Logic 7 systems (for example in BMW), I am not so sure the system was broken.

But, if we disregard opinions on the quality for a while, can anyone tell what happens if the head unit is removed? Will I still be able to use the navigation system?

Regards,
Bontempi

Post #4266 Sun Oct 30 2005 8:05pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

I agree with Bontempi (sounds Italian!) I also found the HK Logic 7 audio system a bit disappointing for anything but movie watching on the RSE system, in which case it sounds great. For music, well... You should try turning Logic 7 off when listening to radio or CDs, I think the sound is better separated and less "muddy" that way, but still not as good as I expected after reading the specs of the system on paper. For instance, even with the active sub turned all the way up, I can barely hear any difference in bass when playing any source other than DVDs, and there is also quite a bit of rattling going on somewhere in my door panels when the volume is turned way up, something I will have checked at my first scheduled service. I don't think the system sounds bad, just not as good as many aftermarket systems you could get for a lot less money. It pales in comparison to the Dolby PLII factory system I had on my old Volvo S80.

I think it would be almost impossible to swap the HK factory head unit with an aftermarket unit, considering how tightly integrated the sound system is with the rest of the electronics in the car. That seems to be the trend of several car manufacturers these days. Besides possible problems with the navigation system volume, I think voice recognition, RSE (if you have these options) may all be adversely affected by removing the factory head unit... 

Post #4273 Sun Oct 30 2005 9:30pm
grommet

United States 

Yes, the sound system is far from ideal.

Regarding pulling out the factory system: You will be impacted. I've seen this done in LR3 *without* Navigation, and even there... they lost the vehicle "settings" menu. (So those options could only be toggled if you took the vehicle to a service department.) Definitely don't try to remove the OEM "infotainment" (err, "stereo") head unit on a vehicle with Navigation, PTI and the RSES. Smile

The 3rd party head unit and Navigation system coupled with decent amps and speakers were impressive, however.

Post #4309 Mon Oct 31 2005 5:37am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Not sure it would look all that good either to be honest, and also more likely to attract the car stereo thief if there is something in there he can have away and sell on easily. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4315 Mon Oct 31 2005 8:28am
Bontempi

Sweden 

umbertob wrote:
For music, well... You should try turning Logic 7 off when listening to radio or CDs, I think the sound is better separated and less "muddy" that way, but still not as good as I expected after reading the specs of the system on paper.

I noticed the same thing. My guess is that the Logic 7 stuff digitizes the analogue signal from the tuner or CD, to apply DSP processing, and that this degrades the signal.

Question is whether the "Logic 7" system performs better than the "Premium" system with the Logic 7 stuff turned off?

Quote:
I don't think the system sounds bad, just not as good as many aftermarket systems you could get for a lot less money.

My current car has a custom installed Nakamichi head unit with Steg amps and MB Quart speakers. It outperforms the Logic 7 audio by a large marigin , although it is drowned by the louder engine and other noises... This system costs about as much as the Logic 7 system.

Quote:

I think it would be almost impossible to swap the HK factory head unit with an aftermarket unit, considering how tightly integrated the sound system is with the rest of the electronics in the car. That seems to be the trend of several car manufacturers these days.

I can understand that the car manufacturers want their share of the money customers spend on 3rd party audio. But it is a bit irritating that they
make custom installation harder or impossible.

/Bontempi

Post #4367 Mon Oct 31 2005 3:58pm
Bontempi

Sweden 

RRUK wrote:
Not sure it would look all that good either to be honest, and also more likely to attract the car stereo thief if there is something in there he can have away and sell on easily.

Well, I don't look that good myself, so I don't think the different front panel will distract people anyway. Do you wear clothes that match the interior? Wink

I live in a rural area where we rarely have to lock the doors...

Cheers,
Bontempi

Post #4369 Mon Oct 31 2005 4:02pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Bontempi wrote:
RRUK wrote:
Not sure it would look all that good either to be honest, and also more likely to attract the car stereo thief if there is something in there he can have away and sell on easily.

Well, I don't look that good myself, so I don't think the different front panel will distract people anyway. Do you wear clothes that match the interior? Wink

I live in a rural area where we rarely have to lock the doors...

Cheers,
Bontempi

Unfortunatey the RRS is built in Britain where leaving the car unattended for the shortest of moments would require the presence of a personal bodyguard and well positioned snipers Wink 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #4376 Mon Oct 31 2005 4:58pm
Bontempi

Sweden 

grommet wrote:
I've seen this done in LR3 *without* Navigation, and even there... they lost the vehicle "settings" menu. (So those options could only be toggled if you took the vehicle to a service department.)

What does the "settings" menu do? What functions does it cover?

Regards,
Bontempi

Post #4848 Sun Nov 06 2005 11:06am
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

It allows you to enable, dsable or change settings such as headlights off delay, lazy entry, dipped side mirors on reverse, kilometers or miles readouts in the on-board computerr, auto door lock, trip computer reset, etc. 

Post #4854 Sun Nov 06 2005 4:27pm
Bontempi

Sweden 

umbertob wrote:
It allows you to enable, dsable or change settings such as headlights off delay, lazy entry, dipped side mirors on reverse, kilometers or miles readouts in the on-board computerr, auto door lock, trip computer reset, etc.

I was hoping it would do less than that... Crying or Very sad
Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Bontempi

Post #4858 Sun Nov 06 2005 5:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1