RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Site News & Feedback > Quotes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>

Beancounter_74

England 

Fair enough Martin Thumbs Up have always tried to only quote the relevant part, but understand where you're coming from Smile

@ scarey - not sure if you meant me Confused ..........anyway, I was mocking Ady, not the OP.......and I don't have a full fat (maybe one day Bow down ) so currently no need to frequent that forum Whistle Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #335351 Mon Mar 05 2012 10:53pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Sorry but i wasn't mocking the op either, to be honest, i hadn't even read the orignal post until i saw it highlighted as a new post, didn't know it existed Shocked ive never come accross this in many years of been on other forums, so my apologies once again. Embarassed

Post #335359 Mon Mar 05 2012 11:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kaine

United Kingdom 

"I don't see the problem" - I thought you'd get my post rather than mock it

edit: I couldn't quote martin's reply - its a bit odd

Post #335484 Tue Mar 06 2012 7:57pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

personally I think its now odd that I can't quote anyone's reply - never seen this on any other forum before - is this actually an issue for members?

Post #335486 Tue Mar 06 2012 8:01pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Kaine wrote:
personally I think its now odd that I can't quote anyone's reply - never seen this on any other forum before - is this actually an issue for members?

Yes, I agree, not been able to quote might make it hard to understand who are you responding to or to what part of a long message. '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #335492 Tue Mar 06 2012 8:16pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

This is exactly what i said to martin in a pm, i believe he is going to post his reply to me on the forum as to why he has suspended the quote button.

Post #335536 Wed Mar 07 2012 9:01am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Morning all, this is what I sent Ady which goes into some more detail.

Quoting is NOT gone forever, it will be back but I need some help from the community to make sure it is used correctly - do we have a deal?

Quote:
It's mainly a question of tidiness and readability of the site. There is a smaller related factor of site speed, and I will explain both in detail.

When replying to the final, or even the penultimate, post in a thread, it is completely unnecessary to quote the whole post before adding further comments. The sorting of the thread is in time order, so the flow of the conversation is self-evident from what is above the post you are reading.

With the problematic quoting, you read a post, then have to read it all again (sometimes nested many levels deep) before you can read what the poster has to add - which can often be a word or two but he has quoted many paragraphs to do so.

Quoting is repeating, and is unnecessary as what is being replied to is above what you're adding to the thread.

Where necessary, quoting is absolutely fine, to recall something earlier on in the thread where the conversation flow hasn't talked about it.

Does my pub conversation analogy not work? You don't repeat everything said before you have your say - but if you need to go back to something said earlier you would say "you know you said about..." or similar.

Constant (and it is constant) use of the "quote" button as a "reply" button means that thread fill up with repeated content, and it makes reading threads more difficult than it needs to be. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the quote is the entire previous post.

I personally think shows it is laziness, and using "quote" where "reply" is perfectly good enough.

The side issue is that with excessive quoting, the amount of database storage required to hold a post is many times greater than it should be, and it is therefore slower to load threads.

For example, a comment of a few words is, say, 50 characters of storage. But if a long previous post has been quoted, it could be up to 1000. So 20 times the necessary storage, and 20 times as long to load that comment.

Can you see where I'm coming from?

I don't see what the fuss is about, it works really well on DISCO3 and fullfatrr and threads are much easier to read than over here because of it.

Reading further comments here it appears the fuss is because people believe the functionality is gone for good, but it is not the case, it is suspended at the moment.

If you all promise to use it properly and flag up to me (via the report posts system) where it's not being used properly then I'll turn it back on, it is a minute's work to do so Wink Mr. Green Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #335566 Wed Mar 07 2012 11:15am
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Kaine: I wasn't mocking you, there was a word missing in your post (go back and look) which I was flagging up Sad Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #335567 Wed Mar 07 2012 11:19am
Beancounter_74

England 

Quote:
If you all promise to use it properly and flag up to me (via the report posts system) where it's not being used properly.....

Sounds good to me Martin Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i

GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )

Post #335568 Wed Mar 07 2012 11:28am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I think it sounds good also,

Disco3 have more mods to cope with the use of the quote button , and they often have had to removed a unnecessary quote and leave a note (like below) in its place along with other daily mod editing stuff

unnecessary quote removed

It does clean up a thread but it takes and make it easier to read, but on the other hand it take up the mods time in doing these alterations.

I've tried to explain the same on freel2 but still some don't understand the difference between quote and reply, but there getting there....slowly

Post #335572 Wed Mar 07 2012 12:22pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Nick, perhaps you could be the new quote officer on patrol on this forum Thumbs Up Talk nicely to martin i'm sure he would appreciate the help.

Post #335577 Wed Mar 07 2012 12:58pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Rolling with laughter nothing like sticking someone else forward Ady Rolling with laughter ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i

Post #335580 Wed Mar 07 2012 1:20pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Rolling with laughter I love to delegate, i think it has something to do with being my own boss Rolling with laughter

Post #335583 Wed Mar 07 2012 1:31pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the vote Laughing

Post #335590 Wed Mar 07 2012 3:12pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Thumbs Up Laughing
So thats 3 votes so far for nick to be the new quote ossifer Thumbs Up

Last edited by Ady 555 on Wed Mar 07 2012 9:04pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #335596 Wed Mar 07 2012 3:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>