RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > MHEV D300 v Petrol? - coming back to the fold, sort of...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

kmpowell

MHEV D300 v Petrol? - coming back to the fold, sort of...

Afternoon all, hope you're all good! Very Happy

After two years since my RRS departed, I'm coming back to the JLR fold. It was touch & go (nearly going to Volvo), but with the recent engine/facelift changes it means I can come back and not have to worry about cranks/dilution and iffy infotainment!

But... as I now have 4 children (2 stepchildren aded to my existing two) a RRS is sadly out as I need usable practical 7 seater space, so I'm ordering a facelift Disco HSE R-Dynamic with either the D300 or P360 engine. Spec for the car has been nailed, but I'm on the fence about engine choice. 80% of its life will be on the motorway doing 200-400 round trips c15k miles a year, and we have another car for nipping about in and doing the school(s) run etc.

Given the MHEV D300 is the same one found in the RRS and the MHEV P360 is a detuned version of the P400 found in the HST RRS, I thought I'd ask for your opinions (and given there's no decent Disco forum!).

I'm naturally drawn to the D300, mainly because I had the 306hp SDV6 in my old RRS, so I know that's smooth and enough torque for motorway stints. But the same time I'm very conscious of the growing war on diesels (wether I agree with it or not) and the gov't decision to outlaw fossil fuels in 2030 (and in my mind they will be mainly Diesel focused). Can the MHEV tech really plug the torque gap in the petrol and see a MPG close to the WLTP figure, and can the extra 60hp make up for the 150 less torque.

I can see positives and negatives in both, and without a crystal ball I know it's a tough question to answer, but in reality the overall economics have to add up which are, residuals and MPG, all whilst satisfying the 'oomph' for my brain.

As final food for thought, the D300 has a 1% higher quoted RV after 4 years, and with exactly the same spec the D300 is 1% cheaper than the P360.

After spending several hours on the internet 'researching', and at the dealer, I'm really no further forward deciding, so, if it were your money, what would you do, P360, D300?

Thumbs Up

p.s. A 'Long range' Tesla MX has been totally discounted on affordability (50% higher deposit and 40% higher payments!), so there's no pure electric choice. And due to the long journeys a plug-in hybrid has been discounted because I don't want to lug around all that flat battery weight with a 2.0 engine, after 70-80 miles or so. SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #607283 Mon Dec 07 2020 3:24pm
RRT

United Kingdom 

Correct me if I am wrong, but all the engines you mention are LR's own Ingenium engines (your old RRS engine was Ford based)?

BTW - long time no speak (assuming you went by the same name on the TTF where I was known as mighTy Tee) MY17 RRS 4.4d V8 Autobiography - Aintree Green (also referred to on Topix as British Racing Green)

Post #607286 Mon Dec 07 2020 4:31pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

I have a P400 after a couple of years with 3l diesel. The P400 gives plenty of torque and whilst its delivered at slightly higher revs the motor spins very freely. I have no regrets about buying petrol this time. Fuel consumption is very variable, short drives into town give 18-20 mpg whilst cruising at 70/75 mpg will give 27/29mpg. I have achieved better but only by driving very carefully and not exceeding 50mph. I guess my overall fuel consumption over 10k miles is 22/24mpg. Whatever you do don't trust the numbers from the trip computer, my reads 4mpg optimistically. My figures are all on tank to tank measurements.
all the best
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #607299 Mon Dec 07 2020 10:41pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: MHEV D300 v Petrol? - coming back to the fold, sort of..

kmpowell wrote:
Afternoon all, hope you're all good! Very Happy

Given the MHEV D300 is the same one found in the RRS and the MHEV P360 is a detuned version of the P400 found in the HST RRS, I thought I'd ask for your opinions (and given there's no decent Disco forum!).

I used to have a Sport and then a Disco 5 and found the sister site https://disco5.co.uk/forum/index.php very good! Smile 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #607301 Mon Dec 07 2020 11:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1