RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > 4x4'ing..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

kam100

United Kingdom 
4x4'ing..

Ok was being naughty last night, my mates all spurred me on to take a short cut across a field so i obliged.. field was quite waterlogged and the rrs was all over the place.. but it was such a buzz and it just climbed through with no problem whatsoever, didn't even need to rev it much..

Turned the terrain response to gravel/grass and ploughed across, was brilliant!

Now the RRS is looking rather hard with a load of mud splattered up the side and rear, and it has given me a real apetite for wanting to go on a 4x4 day or to just find a hill and climb it!

I want to basically go out one weekend with some mates, go to a well known trail or trek spot and just have a go and see what the RRS can do,
Obviously im no expert so something easy to begin with and don't want to get into deep water, as i like the interior of my car the way it is, and my engine doesn't have a snorkel attached. Plus nothing too rocky as i don't want to damage my RRS too much!

I am based in west midlands, anyone know of anything/place around here? or within 1 hour drive or so away. Info appreciated.

Im fed up of waiting for my 4x4 LR day thing to come through, so i wanna do something myself!

Post #4170 Fri Oct 28 2005 4:09pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Your best bet is to buy a copy of LRO Magazine and look for your most local clubs, as you're in Solihull there'll be plenty of choice, and I'm sure they'd love to see such a new car go offroad with them.

The types of offroading you do will vary, so break yourself and the car in gently, build up skill before confidence.

Be safe and have fun. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4182 Fri Oct 28 2005 5:38pm
Gazzer

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I ain't buying your car then when you come to sell it!

Wink 2010MY Land Rover Freelander 2 HSE
Santorini Black with Ebony Napoli Leather

Post #4193 Fri Oct 28 2005 8:01pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

I'd be up for meeting up to do some gently off roading. I've taken mine down muddy tracks etc when ever I can when out walking the dog. The other evening I took it down some ruts and grounded it, but it still pulled out so easily. Great fun!!
I would recommend doing the LRE day first (upgrade for the day - well worth it), as you get to know what you can and can't do.
Finding places to go out off-roading yourself is difficult. Probably best to join the D3 guys or maybe join the Green Lane Association (see
http://www.glass-uk.org/ and http://forum.glass-uk.org/
). However, if we can find a suitable location (ideally find a land owner with an estate or large farm), then maybe we could get a small RRS meet. Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #4196 Sat Oct 29 2005 12:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Kam........................... use it like it's supposed to be used, you bought an offroader so use it properly but be warned that your insurance company will not be amused if you don't have offroad cover, unless of course you have Land Rover Insurance! I pay £400 pa for full comprehensive 2 named drivers and unlimited offroad use with offroad recovery if required, also unlimited continental driving and full cover for trailers and roof rack contents. I'm 48 and live in a rural area.

Also be warned that ploughing across fields in your luxo SUV without the landowner's permission is the fastest way to get the rest of use who abide by the law and "Tread Lightly" banned from the likes of greenlanes and so on.
I also wouldn't try it too often on the standard fit tyres, they are more road biased than offroad biased and the treads clog with mud a bit too quickly and you won't get any thanks from a farmer for ploughing up his land!
Get yourself along to the full day LR Experience course and wreck Land Rover's RRS before you start wrecking your own one.

Any offroad centre would love to see your Sport in action....... and getting bashed and scratched! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #4219 Sat Oct 29 2005 8:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kam100

United Kingdom 

Im still looking round for something relatively easy and safe to do, thanks for all the suggestions will look into them, and will get the proper insurance cover before embarking on any trip..

This little shortcut across the field was definitely a one off, and i don't think anyone will care too much, disused grassland owned by the local authority i think, was late at night not a soul around..

Im loving the thought that i drive a car that has real offroading capability and i want to have a go to see exactly what it can do, but i am a begginer and want to keep the RRS in tip top condition so won't be doing anything too adventurous, something quite light and more fun then challenging, just need to get it out of my system i guess. Hate the fact that i've spent £44k on this monster and will never let it off its lead.

I probably won't keep the RRS over a year, as i tend to change cars quite quickly and Bmw are tempting me with a new 650i right now! But so far i haven't given in as im still loving owning this car, as its my first ever 4x4 and attracts so much admiration and glances that i think i will remain comfortable in it much longer then first anticipated.

Post #4224 Sun Oct 30 2005 12:16am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey
First Mud...

I finally got mine out in the mud at the wekend with the start of the shooting season. The ground was pretty dry, the only bit it got dirty in was a gateway in one of the fields that has become heavily rutted and was quite gooey.

I didn't bother with TR, just jacked up the suspension and through it went, no bother. The farmer who owns the land (drives a Disco2) told me to try a donut on his field, which I obliged to, though forgot to switch the DSC off which curtailed a full 360. I managed to spin the car around though, which was good fun. No damage possible, just some wheelspin on the damp grass.

The mud flaps proved a terrific investment, lord knows what the car would have looked like if they had not been there to catch all the flying mud and debris. The fact they protrude out from the bodywwork is a good design.

Slightly muddy, as they should be!

Kitted and and working for a living:

L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #4249 Sun Oct 30 2005 6:32pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

RR, my experience with the mudflaps fitted to my last RR and to my Freelander is what you have found too, but an added bonus was that they also appeared to be indestructable in offroad driving they are really well attached and seem to be able to bend to amazing amounts. In 4 years of seriously offroading my Freelander and the TD6 RR I never suceeded in breaking them off. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #4265 Sun Oct 30 2005 7:50pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Kam,

I found a couple of other links to clubs that may be worth a look to get some tame off-roading...

http://www.muddytracks.co.uk/

Ranger Rover Register http://www.rrr.co.uk/ Matt
-------------------------------------------
RRS ownership for 1 yr, then D3 for 2 yrs. Then cut back to old bangers and working my way back up through two Peugeots in 6 months. Now got Saab 9-5 2.3t and enjoying the performance!

Post #4286 Sun Oct 30 2005 11:09pm
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

You should come our the next off road day (NeilR came on the last one at Rockingham) and I've just got back from Wales after a weekend away with some guys from DISCO3.CO.UK Smile Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #4292 Sun Oct 30 2005 11:49pm
Biggles

England 

Mine looks like yours today.
Small field some mud Cool Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #4300 Mon Oct 31 2005 12:29am
Martin
Site Administrator & Owner

United Kingdom 

Kam - definitely worth looking at the next DISCO3 Rockingham day - http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1757

NeilR went on the last one with his RRS Cool Like this site? Buy some RRSPORT goodies to show your support!

Post #4910 Mon Nov 07 2005 4:40pm
BN

England 

If anyone would like to come along, it looks as if Sunday the 4th December is favourite and you can really find out what your car can really do. On road is only an 1/8th of its potential, why waste it, enjoy it. Non damaging and run by LRE trained instructors. Not only that you may get a ride in Eds Ibex, he is the european 8 times 4x4 champion.

PM me if interested or Martin.

Post #4911 Mon Nov 07 2005 5:59pm
Pelyma

England 

We had a ball at Rockingham and Tixover with BN - NeilR was a real star with his bling bling wheels amoungst us rough and ready D3 chaps Wink You'll be amased and learn to do it safely.

Post #4912 Mon Nov 07 2005 6:04pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

BN, what on earth did Ed have to do to get "the european 8 times 4x4 champion" awards ?

Post #4934 Mon Nov 07 2005 9:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>