RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > white respectively clear tail lamp
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123

Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Brian - my skills at things like this are basically reserved to opening my wallet to pay someone else! 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #90729 Wed Mar 07 2007 1:14pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Very Annoyed wrote:
Brian - my skills at things like this are basically reserved to opening my wallet to pay someone else!

We must be brothers then VA.., except I'm the smaller brother to go with the smaller wallet!!? Whistle

When it comes to cars and DIY, I regrettably have the well-known "Reverse Midas Touch"..., everything I touch turns to SH Censored TE!!! Big Cry MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #90733 Wed Mar 07 2007 1:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Laughing Laughing 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #90742 Wed Mar 07 2007 1:27pm
mcma1

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I am going to try this on Friday, if the hole is big enough to get the bit and pieces out I will have a good go!, I can always get the trusty dremel out! My next question is the bulbs, are they the normal offset pin? 2011 Defender X-tech

Post #90746 Wed Mar 07 2007 1:47pm
jbrac25

2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Hey Guys
Taking out the amber lens isnt that bad but very scary to start.
Tools needed - good sized screwdriver, 2 sets of pliers(at least one of them needlenose, the longer the head the better) if you have 2 needle nose pliers it will be easier. Dremel or drill with small bit.
1. After removal of the light housing find a seat, place a towel down, put light face down so your looking at the back.
2. Twist off bulb and place it out of the way so you can look directly into the amber lens.
3. I first used my dremel but you can use a drill with a long enough 1/4" bit to pierce a small hole in the amber lens. (bit size just needs to be large enough to puncture the lens and smaller than the screwdriver head) This makes it easier to break it into pieces.
4. Once you have your hole drilled, stick the screwdriver head(i used phillips + head) into the hole. Use the palm of your hand to strike the back of the screwdriver in order to break the lens. Start by weak slaps then progress according to how its going. I wouldnt use a hammer because you dont wanna completely break through the lens to the clear outside lens. It will certainly scratch, but prolly not the end of the world. It should start to crack with pieces floating around. If the pieces are too large to come out of the hole the you must use one set of pliers to hold the piece near the hole and use the other pliers to break the piece into a smaller size.
IF you have pieces floating around you have to shake it to get the pieces into the hole area so they can come out. You may want to remove the bulbs so that pieces can come out of those holes as well if necessary.
If some of the amber pieces stick in their grooves then use the needle nose pliers to reach in and pull them out of the slots.
The one thing you want to be careful of is scratching the inside reflective coating. Behind the amber and bulb is a mirror like coating that is sorta fragile. So if you have pieces floating around be careful if theyre big because they can scratch this coating. Same applies when you have to use the needle nose pliers to either break pieces or pull them out. Be mindful of that coating cause you can now see good inside there from the outside, and can see any large scratches.
I hope this helps. I would offer to do it for people but it would cost $50 to ship to me and $50 to ship it back plus $100 to do it which pretty much makes it not worth it, but I will do it for someone who really is interested, although its hard to garuantee that it doesnt get scratched I will do it. It seems scary at first but its not really that bad. Ive done a couple of sets and havent damaged anything.
Remember to try this at your own risk, Im just trying to help you out. If you have any easier ways please feel free to add them. I dont usually frequent this board but you can always find me on the rangerovers.net board if you have any other questions.
I also forgot to say that chrome coated bulbs go excellent in that spot that blink amber. I found them on ebay for cheap.

Last edited by jbrac25 on Wed Mar 07 2007 6:44pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #90899 Wed Mar 07 2007 6:12pm
Brian Mason

Thanks jbrac.., but still scary! Sad

I'd rather wield my wallet than wield the Dremmel. Whistle MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #90903 Wed Mar 07 2007 6:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mcma1

Thats a clear procedure, thanks!! Thumbs Up

I might try to run some tape over the reflective surface just to be extra careful and then get cracking!! 2011 Defender X-tech

Post #91093 Thu Mar 08 2007 8:27am
Brian Mason

mcma1 wrote:
Thats a clear procedure, thanks!! Thumbs Up

I might try to run some tape over the reflective surface just to be extra careful and then get cracking!!

Good luck mcma, please let us know how it goes! Thumbs Up MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #91267 Thu Mar 08 2007 2:08pm
mcma1

Cheers, it will either be Big Cry or Very Happy 2011 Defender X-tech

Post #91317 Thu Mar 08 2007 2:51pm
Brian Mason

mcma1 wrote:
Cheers, it will either be Big Cry or Very Happy

Let's hope it's Very Happy Thumbs Up MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #91348 Thu Mar 08 2007 3:19pm
RRS_munich

Germany 

Hey mcma1,

the weekend is almost over and I`m just curious.... Whistle

... is it Big Cry or Very Happy I will get my RRS SC 5.0 approximately in nov 2013.
causeway grey.

Post #92248 Sun Mar 11 2007 4:50pm
Brian Mason

RRS_munich wrote:
Hey mcma1,

the weekend is almost over and I`m just curious.... Whistle

... is it Big Cry or Very Happy

Yep.., please tell us it's Very Happy and post the pix! Thumbs Up MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #92258 Sun Mar 11 2007 5:14pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Mcma found dead at bottom of Beachy Head. Widow blames internet forum.

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #92622 Mon Mar 12 2007 10:19am
Brian Mason

shmoogle wrote:
Quote:
Mcma found dead at bottom of Beachy Head. Widow blames internet forum.

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Shocked MY12 SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ebony/Piano/Sidesteps/Privacy/Overfinch Olympus/JLR DRLs

Post #92729 Mon Mar 12 2007 5:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123